Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time machine

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Thumbs up Time machine

If you could go back in time what revolvers would you purchase? We can do other categories separately so for now how about wheel guns? They don't have to be old. Maybe something that has gone way up in price or something no longer imported or went out of production after a short time.

For myself I'd like to have acquired the following:

S&W prewar 38/44 Heavy Duty 5".
    S&W Registered Magnum with 3.5" bbl
    S&W .44 hand ejector 1st model aka Triple Lock in .44 Special
    S&W model pre-29 with 6.5" bbl
    S&W model 38 with 3" bbl
    Colt 1st gen SAA 1873, 7.5" bbl
    Colt Diamondback, 4"
    Colt first model Detective Special
    Ruger flattop Blackhawk in .44 mag, not the new model or super but the original
    Ruger SP-101 in 9mm
    Dan Wesson model 15 pistol pack
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 03-01-2018 at 08:47 PM.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Actually, as far a wheel guns go, I've got pretty much all I could want except an original break action Webley revolver in .455 cal.

I know they are under powered but I just like the looks of them. I remember seeing them in Shotgun News when they were importing them and I just never jumped on them it when I had the chance.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    Actually, as far a wheel guns go, I've got pretty much all I could want except an original break action Webley revolver in .455 cal.

I know they are under powered but I just like the looks of them. I remember seeing them in Shotgun News when they were importing them and I just never jumped on them it when I had the chance.
    Hadn't thought about those but I do kind like the top break models myself.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

The .38 Special S&W K-38 Combat Masterpiece I bought nib back in 1976 for $125.

The .357 S&W Model 586 I bought nib back in 1982 for about $275.
    Nietzsche: From life's school of war: what does not kill me makes me stronger.

Registered Magnum definitely!
    P&R Model 27
    Colt Python

MK VI Webley with bayonet
    Zig Zag Mauser C78
    Both versions of the Reichsrevolver
    S&W no.3 Russian
    Swiss Nagant
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Python and a Webley.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

The old s&w and colt police revolvers as they were getting dumped in the 80s. Would have got me in on the prohib type license and would allow me to own short barrel handguns (less then 4 inch barrel) today
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

For me it is a Colt Python. I bought a Dan Wesson model 15 pistol pack new, years ago. I was disappointed in it and sold it.

Quote Originally Posted by Viking350 View Post
    For me it is a Colt Python. I bought a Dan Wesson model 15 pistol pack new, years ago. I was disappointed in it and sold it.
    Not sure how long they offered the pistol pack but the one Model 15 DW I had was a Monson produced gun and I can't say enough good about it. Kinda wish I hadn't sold it years later but guns come and go. I've heard DW revolvers made at other places during the various changes in the company weren't as well made as the Monson ones. Perhaps that was the case with yours? What was it that disappointed you about it?
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

For me it was a combination of perceived quality and my inability to shoot it as accurately as my other pistols. It may have just been me, but it didn’t feel on par with my Smiths .

Quote Originally Posted by Viking350 View Post
    For me it was a combination of perceived quality and my inability to shoot it as accurately as my other pistols. It may have just been me, but it didn’t feel on par with my Smiths .
    Understood. Thanks for the reply.

I just realized I forgot to include a surplus 1911 or 1911A1. Doesn't have to be a super rare one like a Singer but an honest to god WWI or II that's been there, done that would be fine.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Some to keep and some to sell at high prices.....

Colt Pythons, especially 1950's models.
    Colt First and Second Generation Single Actions.
    Colt 3-5-7 Models.
    Original .22LR Colt Troopers.
    70's model Colt Detective Specials.
    Pre-war S&W Registered Magnums.
    P-38's.
    Luger's.
    6 inch bright nickel .22LR Colt Diamondbacks.
    Whitney Wolverines, especially in bright nickel.
    Early Colt military and commercial 1911's.
    1930's Colt Commercial Government Models.
    First issue Second Generation Colt Sheriff's Models.....Original cost...$120.00

I wish I could go back in time and stop myself from selling my Ruger Security Six .357 with a 2 3/4 inch barrel. I would like to have a small .357 that held 6 shots instead of 5 and the Security Six may be the best designed revolver ever made. For some reason I was reading all of the Jeff Cooper type people saying the .357 was worthless, a glorified .38 special, etc. -- now decades later it seems obvious that even short barreled .357s have a pretty good track record. I will say that factory .357 ammo in the 70s was a lot hotter than today. I remember on some factory 158 grain loads my Security Six would recoil to a degree that the hammer would occasionally come back on recoil and draw blood. Now only the Buffalo Bore ammo seems to have the old zip.

I have to add one more gun to the list (NOT a revolver but I want to mention it), i.e., a Ruger .44 Magnum carbine. For some reason this was just a really cool gun. I sold it and bought a Mini-14. Of course now a Mini-14 is easy to get and a Ruger .44 Magnum not so easy to get.
    Last edited by jet3534; 03-03-2018 at 12:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jet3534 View Post
    I wish I could go back in time and stop myself from selling my Ruger Security Six .357 with a 2 3/4 inch barrel. I would like to have a small .357 that held 6 shots instead of 5 and the Security Six may be the best designed revolver ever made. For some reason I was reading all of the Jeff Cooper type people saying the .357 was worthless, a glorified .38 special, etc. -- now decades later it seems obvious that even short barreled .357s have a pretty good track record. I will say that factory .357 ammo in the 70s was a lot hotter than today. I remember on some factory 158 grain loads my Security Six would recoil to a degree that the hammer would occasionally come back on recoil and draw blood. Now only the Buffalo Bore ammo seems to have the old zip.

I have to add one more gun to the list (NOT a revolver but I want to mention it), i.e., a Ruger .44 Magnum carbine. For some reason this was just a really cool gun. I sold it and bought a Mini-14. Of course now a Mini-14 is easy to get and a Ruger .44 Magnum not so easy to get.

Good choice. I had a stainless 6" Security Six. It was a strong gun and probably more accurate than I could shoot. I sold it to a "friend" I should have kept that gun.

i wish i could go back in tiem and stop myself from selling off $80K worth of milsurps.............
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Team Gunsnet Silver 02/14 - Moderator recon's Avatar

None. Never have been a wheel person.
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Original Member-July-1999!

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by recon View Post
    None. Never have been a wheel person.
    You don't know what you're missing..... I like them all but if push came to shove, I'd grab a wheel gun over a semi any day... Don't get me wrong. I really like my semi's, but I love my wheel guns.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    i wish i could go back in tiem and stop myself from selling off $80K worth of milsurps.............
    Man i would like to see a collection like that.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    You don't know what you're missing..... I like them all but if push came to shove, I'd grab a wheel gun over a semi any day... Don't get me wrong. I really like my semi's, but I love my wheel guns.
    I'll second that I didn't really get interested in wheel guns until my 30s. Get a decent one, not some alloy frame hammer less carry piece, for your first one, learn to shoot it, you might like it more than you think

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast