Thread: Since we don't have an "Ask the Experts" ... I'll ask y'all!

Since we don't have an "Ask the Experts" ... I'll ask y'all!

I just recently got a Arsenal SLG-95 ... but would a Valmet in 7.62x39 be better?

Never mind the Valmet ... I just saw 2 on GunBroker, they weren't even folders and they were $5K+
    Last edited by kimberkid; 03-02-2018 at 10:49 PM.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Price on Valmets has exploded as you have found.

i was going to get a nice folder valmet last year. and like a month later the prices went up another $1800 or so .

nah.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

To answer your original question, yes I believe the Valmet is a better firearm. As you determined and others have commented it's just not that much better given the steep premium the Valmet is bringing.

Maybe 8-10 years ago a LGS had an M78 in 7.62x51. Can't remember if it came with more than one mag or not but at the time the lack of mag availability and the asking price kept me from purchasing it. As I recall it was tagged at $1,600.

Saw the same rifle in 7.62x39 about the same time at a store up near Baltimore, MD. Pretty sure it was around $1,200 with a couple of mags. Looking back even 10 years ago those prices probably weren't bad, may have even been good. I just didn't know a lot about the firearms and needing specific, expensive, hard to find mags was a deal breaker for me.
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 03-03-2018 at 08:00 AM.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

It's probably been at least 15 years ago I passed on a tube-stock (non-folder) in 7.62x39 ... had the cheese grater handguards and guy wanted something like 12-1500 ... I told him he was crazy, its one of the ones I passed on that I'm just going to continue to kick myself over. I remember looking at them 5-6 years ago and IIRC they were $3000-$3500 range ... but now I'm just stunned.

It's only been maybe 2 years ago, some may remember I picked up a 223 tube folder, 1 mag but LNIB (and it came in the box) for $1800 ...
    I think I stole it! Since then I've found a correct bayo, sling and couple other mags ... its a keeper now, but since it's also "used" I do get to enjoy it too!

I was just wanting a 7.62 to go with it!