Thread: Ar bolt issues

Ar bolt issues

My last post I was asking about bolt carriers and I took the recommendation offered. As it turned out, my upper came with a bolt carrier group so I passed mine to a freind doing a build. Mine runs like a new lexus while his not so much. The bolt closes typically the first time (not always- sometimes its about 1/4 inch open). When it does close completely upon hand cycling it ejects the shells maybe 2-3 times before the bolt stops 1/4 inch from closing and is stuck where you have to remove the mag and use a screwdriver to pry it open.

The interesting thing is his other store bought ruger ar does the same thing. My first thought was the ammo but its good ammo and his store bought rifle has 2000 + rounds of the same ammo through it. The shells have slight shew marks from the extractor. I ran a chamber bruss through bot and not any change. Any help appreciated..

IDEAS?

Loose it, move on!! Its not a fixable item!

BISHOP

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Get another bolt and put it in the carrier and see if that fixes it.

After beating our collective heads together, we discovered some of the ammo in the mag we were using had not been trimmed properly causing it to stick in the "used" chamber. I had a theory and so with the new firearm, I took a chamber brush on the end of a variable speed drill and cleaned off the excess "finish" in the chamber. After which, it cycled flawlessly. Another I helped with had issues with the upper not seating on the lower and the take down pins were really tight. A close examination showed this new upper needed to be slightly filed where the upper male take down block fits into the lower female block. If that wasnt enough, the hole for the rear take down pins was oval, not round requiring a minor reaming.

All are now ready for the Oregon initiative for banning and surrender of most firearms.

You Know You Have to clean an AR after every shot.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    You Know You Have to clean an AR after every shot.
    yes, its been a transition from my ak