Thread: Hog hunting with a Mosin

Hog hunting with a Mosin

So I have a friend that has some property and he hunts hogs regularly. I was invited over with my son and I'm preparing for it. I am going to have him use my Ruger AR-556 (actually I have 2), but I am going to bring my Mosin.

I havent researched much about the accuracy but I heard that before you even check to see if a Mosin is worth spending time on (to see how accurate it can be sighted in at), is to check for pitting down the barrel. I didnt see any. Looks fairly clean.

I wanted to put a scope on it unless I can get it decent at 100yds max on irons. How accurate can this be on irons or should I just get a scope? If a scope, which mounts should I get that will not come loose after a few down the pipe?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -=Alex=-
    Please send me a message of ANY and ALL server / forum / site related issues that need to be addressed. This does not include personal problems with users or moderators. Dont ask me for help on posting a picture, video or whatever in a thread. Ask someone else. I'm busy.

You need to provide more info for a proper response. The only hog hunting I have done is in TN with dogs where at a minimum a hog would be 350 pounds, mostly Russian boar with a little domestic DNA in the mix. This hunting was close range and pigs could and did charge humans and/or dogs. A typical shot would be 25-75 feet. Under these conditions a scope would add no advantage and prevent rapid shooting. I can't see dragging a 91/30 through heavy woods although a M38 or M44 would be handy. For the type of hog hunting I have done the ideal gun would be a Marlin 1895 Guide Gun, a Rossi .454 Casual lever action, etc. Now I guess out in places like Texas with the smaller pigs and long range shots a scope would be a good thing but I think rather than trying to mount one on a gun that was never designed for a scope I would just get a Ruger American, Savage, etc. rifle that will be inexpensive and give acceptable accuracy without a lot of effort. I don't know anything about this type of hunting but I gather you might want to consider at some the ability to mount night vision on your hunting rifle. Apparently you can get something like the ATN- X-sight which would probably work pretty good for $600. I don't see a Mosin Nagant as a proper rifle to mount this sort of sight.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Well with ammo that the particular Mosin likes a good 2.5 MOA is very typical. They have the power factor of a .30-06 based on bullet weight and speed. For Boars / Hogs you're going to need a good soft point round. Not sure who is making one at the moment.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

I've never been hog hunting, but I think I would prefer something that cycled a little faster than a bolt action.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Yea just wondering if it was worth the effort to use the Mosin. I'd be in a blind, possibly max 100yds but from what I'm told, typical shot is about 40yds.
    -=Alex=-
    Please send me a message of ANY and ALL server / forum / site related issues that need to be addressed. This does not include personal problems with users or moderators. Dont ask me for help on posting a picture, video or whatever in a thread. Ask someone else. I'm busy.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gunsnetadmin View Post
    Yea just wondering if it was worth the effort to use the Mosin. I'd be in a blind, possibly max 100yds but from what I'm told, typical shot is about 40yds.
    Practice at short to longest range you expect to shoot at. Mosins are battle regulated to shoot high at close range. Results vary depending on the ammo and the individual rifle. At close range you might just shoot over the back of the pig.