Thread: Shotgun collecting

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Post Shotgun collecting

Anyone collecting scatter guns? Doubt I'll ever do much hunting like I used to, quail, pheasant, dove, grouse, etc. so I'm mostly looking at tactical/SD models though my Remington does have more than one barrel.

Right now I've got an 80's vintage 12ga. 870 Wingmaster with an 18" bbl and extended mag tube. Also has an extra/original barrel, 30" FC, VR.

A Mossberg Shockwave, 12ga and while not really "tactical" a Norinco lever action 12ga with 20" bbl. I'm looking at an Ithaca M37 with 20" bbl next weekend. That model is one I've wanted to try out for years.

I'd like to add the Marine version from Remington and Mossberg as well as a Mossberg 590. Don't want to spend the money on any real military issue shotties and don't really want a clone. Had a Beretta 1201FP for quite a few years but I'm not looking for any semi autos. Pretty much pumps and maybe a double or two.

Any suggestions on other makes, models, etc? TIA
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

I have two, an 870 pump (with two barrels), and a Winchester O/U. I would like a S/S, but I doubt that the 3 would be considered a collection.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Morning Chuck. Perhaps it's not a collection YET, but it's a start. Thinking I'd like a little SxS coach gun with external hammers. As I posted the Marine versions (marinecote, brushed nickel, stainless steel, etc,) offered by Remington and Mossberg are high on my list though to be honest I believe, based on some recent reports that for the Remington I'd look for an older one as recent/current productions seems to have a fair bit of issues.

I'm not experienced with them but the old Winchester 1300 models were at one time quite popular. Also some of the custom models like the different 870's offered by Scattergun Technologies (I believe El Duce has one) are something I'd like to acquire.

Been keeping an eye out for a Winchester 1897 as well. Probably have to get a standard field/hunting model and cut the barrel down. I like the exposed hammer and the fact that you can hold the trigger back and just run the gun by working the slide.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Only have two, a 1976 Remington 1100 and a 1987 Franchi SPAS-12.

Couldn't pass on the SPAS as is the usual evil movie shottie.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

I have quite a few scatter guns as I've been collecting them over the years. I don't have any preference in what type. I go by whether I like the looks of it or not.

I've got single shots, bolt actions, pumps, semis, O/U, SxS, and muzzleloaders.

The last one I bought was a nickle plated, bold action that looks like it was custom-made. The stock is immaculate and everything has been plated evenly and mates to the stock perfectly. It looks as if it's never been shot.

My Saiga is a dream to shoot as is my KSG.

When my dad died, my brother and I inherited quite a few shotguns from him. One of my favorites from him is an Ithaca pump that has absolutely no bluing left on it. That was the gun he used to hunt with most of the time. It's action is as smooth as a hot knife sliding through butter.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

I'd chime in, but folks would berate me for not having a Saiga...

And I figure everyone knows I collect Shotguns, but I never handled one of those Norinco Clones of the Winchester Model 1887 lever action shotgun. Hard to get in California, they're not banned but I've never seen one for sale at an LGS. Anyone know how reliable the Norinco is?
    Last edited by tank_monkey; 03-18-2018 at 01:06 PM.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tank_monkey View Post

And I figure everyone knows I collect Shotguns, but I never handled one of those Norinco Clones of the Winchester Model 1887 lever action shotgun. Hard to get in California, they're not banned but I've never seen one for sale at an LGS. Anyone know how reliable the Norinco is?
    I bought one a couple of months back. It doesn't cycle worth a shit. My dealer has it and he's trying to find someone who will get it working like it should.

If he can't find someone to fix it, I found a gunsmith who might be able to do something with it.

So far, it's nothing but a pretty neat-looking single shot....
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Quote Originally Posted by tank_monkey View Post

Not sure if mine is an early model or later? Bought it NIB from one of my guys at work. The only markings are top of barrel and receiver tang. I believe the newer ones are marked differently. Mine has been 109% except one round where a friend was shooting it and he curled the action real slow. The empty hull didn't eject fully. With 2.75" low brass #8 and high brass 00 Buck it functions perfectly.

Haven't tried ghost loading mine. I find it a fun piece at the range and while not my first choice for home defense I'm confident it would do the job.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    Anyone collecting scatter guns? Doubt I'll ever do much hunting like I used to, quail, pheasant, dove, grouse, etc. so I'm mostly looking at tactical/SD models though my Remington does have more than one barrel.

Right now I've got an 80's vintage 12ga. 870 Wingmaster with an 18" bbl and extended mag tube. Also has an extra/original barrel, 30" FC, VR.

A Mossberg Shockwave, 12ga and while not really "tactical" a Norinco lever action 12ga with 20" bbl. I'm looking at an Ithaca M37 with 20" bbl next weekend. That model is one I've wanted to try out for years.

I'd like to add the Marine version from Remington and Mossberg as well as a Mossberg 590. Don't want to spend the money on any real military issue shotties and don't really want a clone. Had a Beretta 1201FP for quite a few years but I'm not looking for any semi autos. Pretty much pumps and maybe a double or two.

Any suggestions on other makes, models, etc? TIA
    Sorry. I know nothing about scatter guns. Don't have any.