Thread: Browning Ends Production of Hi-Power Pistol Line for Second Time

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Post Browning Ends Production of Hi-Power Pistol Line for Second Time

After today, it's all historical.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Unless I'm mistaken Browning has never produced the Hi-Power. They have always been manufactured by FN whether assembled in Portugal or not. If I'm correct could FN not continue production and someone else import them into the US?
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    Unless I'm mistaken Browning has never produced the Hi-Power. They have always been manufactured by FN whether assembled in Portugal or not. If I'm correct could FN not continue production and someone else import them into the US?
    You do realize Browning is owned by FN and it does appear the Hi-Power is no longer in production. The Hi-Power no longer appears on the FN Herstal website, http://www.fnherstal.com/en/products/portable-firearms. The Browning website, http://www.browning.com/products/fir...r-pistols.html, indicates it's no longer in production.

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

Nope, didn't know FN owned Browning. So essentially it was FN that decided to stop production.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Yep, my 1982 Hi-power is stamped Made in Belgium by Fabrique Nationale Herstal.

Strange conglomerate that FNH be.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I think they are foolish, they always sell.
    Probably trying to push their plastic FN guns.

Lots of makers are moving and have moved from more traditional steel and or steel and alloy models to polymer. My guess is Browning and FN are looking at costs versus sales with this decision.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Browning is just the marketing name for FN in the united states until recent years now that FN has developed its own reputation for producing military weapons.

In regards to the hi-power, more likely they want to drive up prices for short runs of hi-powers in the future. Next go around they'll be 1200 instead of the 900 they've been charging for new hi-powers.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"