Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Musings of an old man....

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    If a station was put at the L point above the Moon, it would be at the top of the Earth's gravity well, and thus have very little Moon/Earth gravity to contend with. Launch ships with just enough fuel to get there safely, then fill them full of fuel there. That way, they would start out with a full load to get to Mars/et cetera. Also, with not having to overcome so much gravity, it wouldn't need as big of load of fuel to get to Mars, and the weight saving could be swapped for cargo.
    Also, at certain times when everything aligns in the cosmo, you could fuel at the L point, then head for Earth to pick up speed and slingshot around Earth for an extra boost of acceleration to Mars/et cetera.

But all this is based on establishing a base on the Moon to have the infrastructure to make fuel from the water there and get the fuel up to a docking station at the L point.

It's all a matter of doing it.

From the looks of the shape society is in, I'm not holding my breath, even if I could.
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    If the space station were to be put at one of the LaGrange Points, it would NOT have to contend with the Earth's gravity, just the Sun's.

Not really accurate. Picture a Lagrange point like this: Imagine there are three people around you, each holding a large "rubber band". Each rubber band goes around your waist and is held by a person. The three people are arranged around you approximately equally distant from each other.

If the three people all pull on their rubber bands, there will be ONE and only ONE spot where their pulls cancel out and therefore you feel nothing (that is, there is no force trying to pull you in any particular direction).

But, if, while the three people stand still, YOU try to change your location, you will have to fight the pull(s) of one or more rubber bands, all of them trying to return you to the "neutral" spot.

Now, of course the rubber bands represent the gravitational pull of Earth, the Moon and the Sun.

The Lagrange points are simply places where the gravity fields cancel each other out (and actually there are FIVE Lagrange points in the Earth / Moon / Sun system).

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post

what i've noticed about a lot of women anymore, there's no style or flair . they just put on whatever fits.
    Not with Snowbird Brown. She is all natural. She can love you and skin you at the same time.
    Don't Let the Bastards wear you down. Gen Joseph "Vinager Joe" Stillwell.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Musings of an old man - I might be getting old, but I still have enough energy to spend hours at the NRA Annual show just down the road from where I live!!! Great time!!!

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    What talk is going around the show about getting rid of the old guard and getting some 2nd Amendment people to run the NRA again?
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112