Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Musings of an old man....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway

Musings of an old man....

Being old and retired, with lots of time on my hands, I started to notice the difference between nowadays, and when I first started on this board. Not so much with this board, but people in general.

1. I like the pictures weevil posts of the bygone beauties, with their Beautiful red lips(tick). Until this fall, I hadn't watched TV in 15 years or so. I got to noticing lately, that in shows like "Timeless", and others, that the women don't seem to know how to apply lipstick properly. It looks like they keep their mouth closed and just run the tube back and forth across their lips once and call it good. They don't seem to know how to get it into the corners of their lips, but just run it up to the corners and stop. Always looks like the corners of their lips are squared off.

2. Back in the day, any device that came out that would help one simulate automatic fire was a welcome thing. Everybody had their references,(...hell fire...trigger cranks...Gatling like on a tripod...et cetera....). Most were interested in owning something back then, and didn't poo poo them by saying they were just gadgets and they couldn't afford the ammo for them. Most understood that if you couldn't afford NFA weapons, these devices were something that could help put you on a par with the government armed foot soldier. They didn't really consider them "toys".
    But today, most people who post on boards say they see no use for a "bump stock", wouldn't own one as it would just be a waste of ammo, and a lot don't care if they're banned or not. They don't realize how things like this are a vast improvement over trying to bump fire with one hand controlling and one finger trying to remain stationary. Nor do they think it would be useful in the coming SHTF civil war they say they are waiting for. They seem to pin their hopes on "someone" overturning the NFA laws, rather than buy an article that might come in useful later.
    Read how some of the young folks carry on, and it would seem like they have no understanding of reality like the older folks have.

3. "Trash can guns" is what a lot of young folks over at the black rifle site like to call AKs. I'd think that a lot of them never had to face a determined enemy armed with an AK, or an SKS for that matter. The closest I ever came to having my slick shot down was in Laos by a camp watcher armed with an SKS. They are by no means a "trash can gun". The M16/AR15 is a great weapons system. The AK is a tough, reliable and efficient weapons system. It does not need to shoot MOA at 200 meters. All it has to do is kill a man in combat, which it does with ruthless efficiency.

4. And other things....
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

Very nice. We'd like to hear the "other things" as well.

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    Quote Originally Posted by Altarboy View Post
    Very nice. We'd like to hear the "other things" as well.
    How the younger guys who think that women should be clean shaven everywhere except their scalp. I bet they can't go down on a woman for oral sex if she has pubic hair. They probably couldn't eat a bowl of soup if they found a hair in it...even if they were starving. Wonder if they have to shave themselves before they masturbate?

Or the people who buy $50,000 vehicles without a thought. How many thousand per cent is that over a $2,800.00 pickup back in 1968? But they pay it, and then complain that the auto makers' profits have gone up the same per cent age. They pay outrageous worthless dollars for a product, but gripe because the manufacture is having to make a profit off those same worthless dollars.
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

There's no accounting for taste these days. As far as the "gadgets" I'm not sold on the parity aspect. Full auto fire has its place in a military engagement but I don't see us prevailing in a civil war over well trained and equipped government troops because of a bump stock or similar device. The biggest asset they'll have is superior communications and coordination in addition to training. Our advantage should be in numbers, determination. Just my opinion but that being said I don't believe bump stocks should be banned or regulated.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

I am old and retired also. I remember all the devices you could buy at gun shows to simulate full auto. You could buy a Mac 10 at one table and be directed to another table to buy the "part" to run full auto, and it wasn't a trigger attachment. And of course I remember all the bashing of the AK platform. I'm glad I saved all the internals from the Romey kits I bought back in the day.
    Last edited by Paradox; 07-29-2018 at 10:12 PM.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

I never thought I'd see the day when AK clones would sell for more $$$ than AR rifles...but we're living in them.
    Nietzsche: From life's school of war: what does not kill me makes me stronger.

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Things are getting better here in Canada. Although the rules are getting tighter the average Joe is less inclined to be a stupid fudd. I remember back when I first started the common idea was that a bolt action .303 was good enough and all you need. A semi auto was a waste. If I had a dollar for every time I heard some old prick at a gun show say that an AK or AR is no good to hunt with because it will ruin the meat, i would have enough to buy one of each. The general attitude overall here among Canadian gun owners has come more in line with the US. Those old know it alls are either dying off or have learned the difference. Because i seldom hear stupid shit like that anymore. Right now Canada has the greatest number of firearms and firearms owners ever in the history of this country.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

And yes. Women.... It is uncommon to see classic beauty anymore. Quite rare actually. Its all about showing as much bare skin as possible. Best chance of seeing properly applied lipstick these days is on a faggot.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Quote Originally Posted by mrkalashnikov View Post
    I never thought I'd see the day when AK clones would sell for more $$$ than AR rifles...but we're living in them.
    Get a hold of a B West AK and disassemble it and sell the parts individually. Where a B West used to be considered worthless, the parts are like gold now days.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    There's no accounting for taste these days. As far as the "gadgets" I'm not sold on the parity aspect. Full auto fire has its place in a military engagement but I don't see us prevailing in a civil war over well trained and equipped government troops because of a bump stock or similar device. The biggest asset they'll have is superior communications and coordination in addition to training. Our advantage should be in numbers, determination. Just my opinion but that being said I don't believe bump stocks should be banned or regulated.
    A bump stock alone won't win a war, but it would be one item in a "... well regulated militia...".

The colonists couldn't have won the revolution fighting the British on their terms. They had to improvise. If any kind of civil insurrection comes to the USA, it could not be won on the military terms. The government would be forced to fight all out for a change to hold on to their power. The only way to mitigate the military's superiority would be to fight the war in the cities for the most part.
    Also, anyone engaging in insurrection will be considered a criminal, and must be prepared to be treated like one, sans the normal constitutional rights criminals have now days.

Unfortunately, I'm too old and tired to do more than sit on my porch and wave a flag as history goes marching by.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

While true I'd anticipate most of our items would derive from the various National Guard armories and military units that side with the population and or are liberated so to speak. Even the colonists were able to acquire cannon and mortar to gain some parity of force against the crown.

We'ed most likely see a lot of lever guns and deer rifles too which a bump stock wouldn't play a part with. I agree on the urban aspects were knowledge and numbers in a guerilla warfare scenario could win out.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

All we'd need to do to win a war against ANY military force would be to wear shirts with Hitlary's face on the front.

There's no protection for the eyes on that tactic, and once seen, can't be unseen.

Mind numbing, and puke worthy...
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post

Disagree.

(1) I seriously doubt that our own military would fire on American civilians. We aren't suicide bombers in a sandbox... we're their neighbors. A FEW might, but I'll bet their own brothers would put a stop to that.
    (2) Police, FBI, etc... don't make me laugh.
    (3) Communications? There are radios galore in the US... and lots of engineering types who know how to "make things work" (I'm one of them).
    (4) We have the numbers (both in bodies, weapons and ammo). A civil war could end up to be a terrible bloody mess, but don't think for one minute that "civilians" don't stand a chance.
    (5) As far as "coordination" is concerned, I would expect that a lot of US military personnel (both active and retired) would join the "resistance" and provide leadership, information and tactics.

I put ALL my hopes on the assumption that most of our military people are GOOD people and they are GOOD AMERICANS and would not turn on their own Country... orders or not. If I'm wrong, then God help us all.

Lastly, think about it... if you were a US soldier ordered to fire on US civilians, COULD you (morally) obey? WOULD you obey, knowing that the survivors can easily find out where you live?

I think the government (or more specifically the left liberal communist democrats) want to disarm America simply because they KNOW their plans for totalitarian control of our every day lives can never happen while we are armed. That was kinda the point of the Second Amendment all along.......

Let the liberals whine. I doubt anything will happen other than their empty heads finally exploding with frustration.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

So, what's more dangerous than a pit bull with aids? The guy that gave it aids.

How can atheist, who believe the universe was created by a big bang out of nothing, seriously think they are smarter than people who believe God created the universe out of nothing? I mean, it's the same theory of where the universe came from, (out of nothing), just a disagreement if it was done by nobody or by someone.

Sometimes I wonder, if nothing escapes a black hole, neither mass or energy, then how does the force of gravity escape? Why is gravity not eventually contained within the event horizon, like everything else? I sometimes think that if mass and energy are two forms of the same thing, then why not gravity a third form of the first two? Much like the three forms of water, which is a vapor, liquid or solid.
    Whatever constitutes the universe exist as mass, energy or gravity. Call whatever that substance is "X', and say X exist as either mass, energy or gravity, but is only one thing with three different forms. BTW, I © this theory.

Quote Originally Posted by N/A View Post

How can atheist, who believe the universe was created by a big bang out of nothing, seriously think they are smarter than people who believe God created the universe out of nothing? I mean, it's the same theory of where the universe came from, (out of nothing), just a disagreement if it was done by nobody or by someone.

Sometimes I wonder, if nothing escapes a black hole, neither mass or energy, then how does the force of gravity escape? Why is gravity not eventually contained within the event horizon, like everything else? I sometimes think that if mass and energy are two forms of the same thing, then why not gravity a third form of the first two? Much like the three forms of water, which is a vapor, liquid or solid.
    Whatever constitutes the universe exist as mass, energy or gravity. Call whatever that substance is "X', and say X exist as either mass, energy or gravity, but is only one thing with three different forms. BTW, I © this theory.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    LOL... that's what I do sitting here in this lazy chair. I'm not sure either, but I like to about things.

ETA: Krupski will be along later to explain things to us.
    Last edited by N/A; 05-05-2018 at 04:51 PM.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by N/A View Post

According to Einstein, gravity is a warp in the plane of space. The more massive an object is, the greater that object warps the space around it.

A black hole has warped the space around it so much that the warp (hole) in the gravitational field around is so unbelievably deep that not even light can climb out of it.

I don't think it is another form of something called, "X." It's the result of mass. Mass causes gravity and gravity affects objects within its field. It has no effect on anything outside of its field. Gravity, mass, and energy may be related, but I don't think they're different states of the same thing, like water is either gas, liquid, or solid.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

And there was supposed to be dark matter........
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    According to Einstein, gravity is a warp in the plane of space. The more massive an object is, the greater that object warps the space around it.

A black hole has warped the space around it so much that the warp (hole) in the gravitational field around is so unbelievably deep that not even light can climb out of it.

I don't think it is another form of something called, "X." It's the result of mass. Mass causes gravity and gravity affects objects within its field. It has no effect on anything outside of its field. Gravity, mass, and energy may be related, but I don't think they're different states of the same thing, like water is either gas, liquid, or solid.
    HEY HEY HEY , Krupski was supposed to do that

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post

IF the event horizon of a black hole is the point where the escape velocity equals the speed of light, and IF Einstein was right about mass and inertia going to infinity at the speed of light, then this means anything that "falls into" the black hole stops at the event horizon and goes no further because it would take an infinite amount of energy to move the "thing" further down.

SO... that means that a black hole must be surrounded by a zero thickness, infinite density shell of accumulated matter, all stuck at precisely the spot where the escape velocity equals the speed of light.

And if that's the case, what is BETWEEN the singularity and the event horizon? And, if you could be inside that shell (hypothetically), would you be pulled towards the shell or towards the singularity?

Damn my head hurts again.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast