Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
I had a hard time watching that "expert" after he gave the distance to the "edge of the universe" at 46 billion light years when actual scientists have pegged it at about 13.2 billion light years. Granted that 13.2 is as far as we can see using the Hubble Space Telescope, fixated at a single point and constantly focusing further and further. At it's maximum range the pictures returned showed billions of galaxy clusters instead of fewer and fewer items.

And the funny thing about that experiment, when the Hubble optical assembly was completed at Perkin Elmer, the send out party had not only people from P&E and NASA but many scientists and astro-physicists. They were talking about using an open mind when the pictures came in, to take nothing based on passed ideas. One scientist then got up and talked about trying to see the end of the universe. Much to my father's dismay I stood up and asked the man to truly keep an open mind, and that if they couldn't see the end of the universe in the direction they were looking, turn the telescope around 180 degrees and again focus out, and if then you still couldn't find the end of the universe, you just proved that we on the earth are in fact the center of the universe.

I got a lot of laughter that slowly died down as they realized the intent of my statement. The amazing thing to me that came out of that exchange, and one of the few times my father actually acknowledged my abilities, the Hubble scientists actually did what I suggested, and instead of going out as far as possible and seeing more of the same, and turning the telescope around since we obviously had to be closer to the other end, they saw exactly the same thing, focusing as far out as possible and continued to find more and more galaxies.

Another thing that came out of the observations was not that the expansion was slowing as they expected (that preconceived thing again) they found that many galaxies were actually speeding up!

The universe is an amazing area, and the "Big Bang" could be explained as God snapping his fingers and bang, the universe began.

One of the things that convinced me there was no Big Bang, is your example of the Hubble telescope. If every direction you look things a speeding away from you, you must be the center of the universe. If we were, the age of the earth seems to be somewhat off.
Also, if the Hubble was looking at a distance of 13 billion light years, and we are seeing light formed shortly after the Big Bang, then how did we get out here so fast that we beat light getting here. The only way we could see light from shortly after the Big Bang is for us to have traveled several times the speed of light to get here ahead of it and be waiting for it to catch up.

Another thing about the father galaxies expanding away at greater speed. I think the universe is spinning, just as the Earth spins. If so, then just like on a spinning disk, the points on the edge of the disk are moving faster than a point half way in to the center. Both would move at the same RPM around the center, but their velocities would be different. I ponder on the idea that is why farther galaxies appear to be expanding at greater speed, because they are moving the fastest on the disk, but not necessarily moving away.