Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Musings of an old man....

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by N/A View Post
    I watch "Seal Team" on TV. I usually like the show. Watching reruns now...they just ran the one where the ex-SEAL shot himself because he couldn't get his TBI documented with the VA. According to the plot, the VA Doctor said he wasn't authorized to order an MRI that cost thousands of dollars.

Now, I only deal with my VA clinic an hour away and the VA Medical Center 3 hours away, so I have no knowledge what goes on elsewhere. That being said, that part of the show was hog wash in my dealings with the VA.
    My primary care doctor has routinely ordered MRIs for this or that with no questions asked. Doctors at the med center routinely set MRI appointments when they deem it necessary. Never was it brought up about authorization or cost.
    I've never been refused an MRI, or any other test a doctor has ordered.

The men fighting today face a different war than us old guys did. Our trouble with th VA was getting them to recognize Agent Orange exposure and PTSD.

The trouble today's warriors might have is getting the VA to recognize TBIs as combat injuries that are service connected. But they certainly should have no trouble getting a VA doctor to run an MRI of their brain to see if they do have a TBI that needs to be treated.

They may never be able to get it service connected, but they can be treated for it.

But what do I know, I'm just an old man on the internet.
    Truth has never stood in the way of a good Hollywood story-line. Look at how they portray guns, gun owners, conservatives, and those that attend religious services.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    That's why I do like shows such as Seal Team and Blue Bloods. Not afraid to show religion and conservatism as part of the human experience.
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

That's why I do like shows such as Seal Team and Blue Bloods. Not afraid to show religion and conservatism as part of the human experience.
    I am used to them showing those things as part of the human experience. Just part of the human experience that should be avoided at all costs because of the intellectual and moral degradation they cause (according to Hollywood).
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    1. o>-
    2. o=[]=o

This is an idea I've mulled around for several years.
    How to get a 3 foot actual size image of a 3 foot spot on the moon without using magnification. This is only a thought experiment.

In pic #1, o>-, "o" is the moon, ">" is light rays, and "-" is a telescope.
    It represents the way light from the moon has to traveling at angles to the telescope and meet at a focal point to form the image of the moon.

But light reflected from the moon doesn't just travel at angles, light rays also travel parallel to each other ....like this "=".

Which brings us to pic #2, o=[], with "o" being the moon, "=" being parallel light rays off the moon, and "[]" being the subject of this thread.

Lets designate [] as being a 3 foot diameter cylinder 3 foot long, made out of the darkest material we can device.
    Next, lets drill thousands/millions of parallel path holes the size of light waves thru the length of the cylinder, so that light waves can only enter and exit thusly ...=[]=.

That way, only parallel light waves adjacent to each other from one 3 foot area could enter and leave the [].

Point it at the moon, and only the light from a 3 foot spot on the moon, traveling parallel to each other and straight on aligned with the openings could get thru.

Then, all we would see is the image of that 3 foot spot, without having to use magnification.

o=[]=o

Just a thought.
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

Because of all the "regolith" (grit & dust) on the lunar surface, I suspect that there is little, if any, light traveling from the Moon in straight, parallel lines. IF there are, what is the likelihood that the amount of light would be so low that the human eye is incapable of discerning it unaided.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

I'd suggest you think a bit more about the direction light travels from any object.

As for how faint the light might be, it doesn't have to looked at with the human eyes; it can fall on a screen that amplifies the faint light to a brighter image.

I'd imagine that many of us wish we could write stories. I'd like to, but I'm just not good at it, not even short stories. I have had a couple or so ideas that I will post up about scify based stories.

The first one centers around the report a leader has turned in on his teams first contact with a newly found inhabited planet.
    It goes something like this.

First two men land outside a small village. The people are advanced, maybe like we were in the 1940s. Their alien ship draws a small crowd, which soon leaves and never pays anymore attention to it.

After, several days of waiting, the two crewmembers leave the ship in their space uniforms. They draw no attention from anyone. After a couple more days, they figure it is safe to be among the people, and the atmosphere is breatheable, so they leave the ship without their space suits and walk into town.

Immediately upon encountering the first group of villagers, they are attacked and viciously killed and dismembered, and disposed of. In an hour or so, the villagers return to normal, and carry on with their lives.

The parent ship orbiting above, not hearing from the crew by the next day, sends down another crew of four armed men to investigate.

The report goes on to report what the second crew discovered, and why the research ship's recommended that the planet and people be quarantined and no contact at all cost.
    End of report.

Why no more contact? The researchers learned that the population as whole was naturally controlled by their phermones.
    They instinctively acted as "hive" to kill outsiders. The pheremones also acted as a damper on the population to keep their IQs below or up to mediocre genius levels.
    But, if an individual was removed from the high concentrations of phermones of a community for several weeks, then their brains suddenly were able to perform at super genius levels...at a cost tho of only 3-5 years to live.

This phonomena was the basis of their government.....9 individuals delerated from the rest, living in a guarded place, using their super intelligence to run the planet in a methodical way, so that no changes came to quickly to disrupt their civilization, and handing down new ideas as they saw the people were ready for them.

The reason, tho, for asking for a quarantine and blockade of the planet? They knew if anyone in the know galactic community were to find out about this dramatic escalation to super genius, that crooked and corrupt people would be kidnapping those people by ones and twos and holding them as slaves for their own nefarious purposes. Soon, that population would be decimated.

Thus, to protect them, hide their existence.

Oh, and of cource, I copyright this plot.
    As long as I'm giving credit, people may use it with my written permission; which won't be hard to obtain till next year.

Disclaimer:. I like to watch random videos that come up on you tube...mostly snippets from scify shows or things about aliens.

Just watched one where it talked about a council of 9.
    I have never heard about that before, so my picking a council that had 9 members is purely coincidence. The number doesn't matter to the plot; the phermones controlling their population is the plot.
    Last edited by N/A; 10-04-2019 at 10:48 AM.

The next book idea I have already posted on page 10, post #195.

While lookkng thru the thread for post #195,
    I reread post #237 by JTHunter about the Earth and moon formation.

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter
    The current theory is that a "Mars-sized" object called "Thea" hit about 4.5 billion years ago, shortly after the Earth was formed. At that time, the scientists estimate that the Earth's size was only about 90% of what it is now. The Earth only had a very thin crust at the time with a still molten core. Thea wasn't much different and, because both were still molten underneath, the two masses of molten cores merged and combined with the...

Gave me the idea for another subplot in a story about how life might have formed on Earth.
    What if this other planet size object that sidedwiped early Earth was a planet that had a lot of water, and was at the stage that amino acids and other chemicals had formed? What if the collision ttansfered most of the water to Earth, and then what was left of the other planet traveled on to a collision with Mars and deposited the rest of its water there?

That would give Mars running water early on, and give Earth water and the building blocks of life,....without it having evolved from Earth otself.

Thus, life isn't native to Earth, but came from outer space.

Just an idea for part of a scify short story.

Here's an idea, from watching this video.

The scientist studying the "artifacts" realize they are indeed spaceships construcred by intelligent beings. They also determine that the ships are not out near the edge of the universe, but much closer to us, and they are all headed in the same direction.

A group of scientist come up with the theory that all these ships are fleeing from be this part of the universe.

Then begins humanity's race to find out why they are fleeing, what do they know we don't.

Make a story out of this plot; what are they fleeing, what does humanity do to find out, and do they have time to save themselves?

Copy right this idea on 25 Sept 2019.

Sorry N/A, but while that is an interesting idea, any collision of that magnitude would have turned both Earth and Thea into "molten hells" that would have baked off most of the water and "cooked" any amino acids/pre-biologic ingredients.
    Also, any object of that size would slow down after impact, not speed up. It wouldn't have sufficient energy to make it to Mars. Any object that hit the young Earth and still had enough speed to make it to Mars would have hit the Earth so hard that it probably would have either destroyed the planet OR, like billiard balls, bounced it out of orbit.

BTW - that video is interesting. Talking about those "galaxies" or "artifacts" and their apparent "red-shift" could be explained by that "stretching" of space-time behind the warp-capable ship. Time will tell if this is possible.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Oh, I know, but we are talking scify plots here, not National Geographic articles. Maybe we set it in a parallel universe, where things are a bit different.
    Maybe we take every idea in this thread, and build a parallel universe where all this could happen.

But yeah, I'm just thinking out loud about fictional stories.

We all reach certain way points in our lives as we get older. Some of them we look forward to, others not so much, and some we would never have thought of. I reached one of those never thought of points this morning. A bunch of ladies told me I was never to get out of bed again without one of them here with me.

A life well lived, and now bossed around by a bunch of women.
    Be careful of the choices you make....you could end up like this.
    Last edited by N/A; 11-30-2019 at 11:05 PM.

I'm kinda surprised that as much as you guys like to post pics of beautiful women, that no one has showed any interest in how I got some ladies to tell me not to be getting out of bed unless one of them was with me.
    I can only conclude that y'all think I'm making it up, or just trying to "humble brag" about it.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

I'm kinda surprised that as much as you guys like to post pics of beautiful women, that no one has showed any interest in how I got some ladies to tell me not to be getting out of bed unless one of them was with me.
    I can only conclude that y'all think I'm making it up, or just trying to "humble brag" about it.
    I thought you were bedridden with some sort of injury and were talking about your nurse not wanting you to get up without help....
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    I thought you were bedridden with some sort of injury and were talking about your nurse not wanting you to get up without help....
    Good deduction. Yeah, I thought it was time to fess up and let ya'll know my time on here is short. I'm in a VA hospice care unit with pulmonary fibrosis, and will probably log off the board some day soon.
    I just wanted to be able to give my thanks to everyone on the board for all the fun it's been thru the years.....from when Ian owned the board until now.
    From Ferd, to HDR, DorGunr, Suave; to boardwars across the street to wars a ross the ocean. We've seen a lot of history get talked about here. Some have even made some and been part of more.

Please don't be telling me how sorry you are to hear my time is about up. I've had a good life and a good run at life. Leaving room for you younger folks to fill in. The only regret is the shape our politcs are in now. I did think it would be rejected before it got this bad, but yet here our country is.

Oh well, I think I will log off now. I'll have one of my kids post on here when it has been my time to go.
    Once again, thanks everyone for the good times we had.

Cliff

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    Same here wasn't sure what to say to the women keeping you in bed

I'll raise a glass when it's appropriate
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Well I will raise a glass now to you for the time we have had together, and will raise a second glass when the inevitable comes. God be with you!

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

N/A, it's been fun and you are one of the best, here. Stay on as long as you can, but if you can't, we'll understand.

It's been a great run and you will be missed, that's for sure.

Here's to you.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213