Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Musings of an old man....

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    If a station was put at the L point above the Moon, it would be at the top of the Earth's gravity well, and thus have very little Moon/Earth gravity to contend with. Launch ships with just enough fuel to get there safely, then fill them full of fuel there. That way, they would start out with a full load to get to Mars/et cetera. Also, with not having to overcome so much gravity, it wouldn't need as big of load of fuel to get to Mars, and the weight saving could be swapped for cargo.
    Also, at certain times when everything aligns in the cosmo, you could fuel at the L point, then head for Earth to pick up speed and slingshot around Earth for an extra boost of acceleration to Mars/et cetera.

But all this is based on establishing a base on the Moon to have the infrastructure to make fuel from the water there and get the fuel up to a docking station at the L point.

It's all a matter of doing it.

From the looks of the shape society is in, I'm not holding my breath, even if I could.
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    If the space station were to be put at one of the LaGrange Points, it would NOT have to contend with the Earth's gravity, just the Sun's.

Not really accurate. Picture a Lagrange point like this: Imagine there are three people around you, each holding a large "rubber band". Each rubber band goes around your waist and is held by a person. The three people are arranged around you approximately equally distant from each other.

If the three people all pull on their rubber bands, there will be ONE and only ONE spot where their pulls cancel out and therefore you feel nothing (that is, there is no force trying to pull you in any particular direction).

But, if, while the three people stand still, YOU try to change your location, you will have to fight the pull(s) of one or more rubber bands, all of them trying to return you to the "neutral" spot.

Now, of course the rubber bands represent the gravitational pull of Earth, the Moon and the Sun.

The Lagrange points are simply places where the gravity fields cancel each other out (and actually there are FIVE Lagrange points in the Earth / Moon / Sun system).
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post

what i've noticed about a lot of women anymore, there's no style or flair . they just put on whatever fits.
    Not with Snowbird Brown. She is all natural. She can love you and skin you at the same time.
    Don't Let the Bastards wear you down. Gen Joseph "Vinager Joe" Stillwell.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Musings of an old man - I might be getting old, but I still have enough energy to spend hours at the NRA Annual show just down the road from where I live!!! Great time!!!

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    What talk is going around the show about getting rid of the old guard and getting some 2nd Amendment people to run the NRA again?
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

Trivial questions....

Are Colorado's northern and southern borders the same length?

If Maryland is named after Mary, Queen of Scots, (Mary-land), and Iceland is named after "ice" apparently, (Ice-land), and other "xxxland" are named after things ....
    Then what is an "Eng"?

If you leave your guns to someone in your will, are you not leaving a legal document the .gov can access thru probate court to see where your guns went?

If you take every bit of matter and energy and compress it all into one sphere the size of a baseball, (much as the preBig Bang was), then would you not have only two things?
    The ball of all that exist and the enormous void of absolue nothing that surrounds the ball. Time wouldn't exist, as it's not a physical thing, so wouldn't be contained in the ball. The void is empty of anything that exist, so time wouldn't exist there. So, is not time just a abstract thing that the human/living minds conceive of, but doesn't actually exist physically? We are always in the here and now, but things are always changing and the human mind conceives that there must be time, when really there is only continual change in the here and now?

Do electromagneticc waves effect each other as their paths cause them th flow thru each other?

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by N/A View Post
    Trivial questions....
    I'll do my best to answer these for you (no promises they'll be correct, though).

If Maryland is named after Mary, Queen of Scots, (Mary-land), and Iceland is named after "ice" apparently, (Ice-land), and other "xxxland" are named after things ....
    Then what is an "Eng"?
    "Eng" is short for "English," so instead of naming the country "English Land," they shortened "Englsih" to "Eng," for "England."

If you leave your guns to someone in your will, are you not leaving a legal document the .gov can access thru probate court to see where your guns went?
    Yes, you are.

If you take every bit of matter and energy and compress it all into one sphere the size of a baseball, (much as the preBig Bang was), then would you not have only two things?
    The ball of all that exist and the enormous void of absolue nothing that surrounds the ball. Time wouldn't exist, as it's not a physical thing, so wouldn't be contained in the ball. The void is empty of anything that exist, so time wouldn't exist there. So, is not time just a abstract thing that the human/living minds conceive of, but doesn't actually exist physically? We are always in the here and now, but things are always changing and the human mind conceives that there must be time, when really there is only continual change in the here and now?
    There was no void for the Big Bang to expand into. The "void" was, also, inside the baseball with all the energy.

Time is a human construct, as far as minutes, seconds, ect. go, but time is also evidenced in Nature by the changing of the seasons, tides, moon phases, lifespans, etc.

Man needed a more precise measure of time so he developed one based on the sun. Now, atomic clocks keep a much more precise measure of time, but these are all methods based on human development.

Do electromagneticc waves effect each other as their paths cause them th flow thru each other?
    They affect each other only if they are the same frequency, or harmonic frequencies of the original frequency. Otherwise, they don't affect each other.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Are you sure an Eng isn't some pesky, hump-backed, gapped-toothed, tiny rodent of some kind?

What about Colorado's borders?

Are you sure an Eng isn't some pesky, hump-backed, gapped-toothed, tiny rodent of some kind?

What about Colorado's borders?
    No idea about Colorado's borders....

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Freedom isn't free.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    No idea about Colorado's borders....
    Because Colorado's East and West borders follow lines of longtitude, they are closer together at the top, or Northern border. Colorado's Northern border is 22 miles and a bit shorter than its Southern border.

Colorado's north and south borders follow lines of latitude, which are always equal distance apart, thus the East West borders are the same length.

Last edited by N/A; 07-22-2019 at 06:02 PM.

Because Colorado's East and West borders follow lines of longtitude, they are closer together at the top, or Northern border. Colorado's Northern border is 22 miles and a bit shorter than its Southern border.

Colorado's north and south borders follow lines of latitude, which are always equal distance apart, thus the East West borders are the same length.

Yup, good to know.

Trivial question back at you....if you already knew the answers, why did you ask the questions?

Freedom isn't free.

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    Yup, good to know.

Trivial question back at you....if you already knew the answers, why did you ask the questions?
    To entertain others.

If you drink cheap Mexican beer and eat refried beans and FART. Are you contributing to Global Warming?
    Don't Let the Bastards wear you down. Gen Joseph "Vinager Joe" Stillwell.

Quote Originally Posted by Nashorn View Post
    If you drink cheap Mexican beer and eat refried beans and FART. Are you contributing to Global Warming?
    Only if you're a Republican.

Freedom isn't free.

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

I would not trust a fart after eating that stuff.

So, I was just trying to doze off and had one of those stray thoughts hit me.
    I think the prevailing theory is the moon was actually a part of Earth that got flung into orbitwhen the Earth was hit by another planet. If so, even as the Earth lost the mass of the moon, wouldn't it have gained the mass of whatever hit it?
    If the Moon is a quarter size of the Earth, that's a lot of mass to lose. Whatever collided with the Earth would have replaced that lost mass.

Would the Earth and this other object be dissamilar enough that core drillings of the Earth's crust find a demarcation line where the two joined together? If so, would we be able to figure out the composition of whatever struck Earth by studying the difference in planet wide geology and tell approximately what was the impact point on Earth?

So, I was just trying to doze off and had one of those stray thoughts hit me.
    I think the prevailing theory is the moon was actually a part of Earth that got flung into orbitwhen the Earth was hit by another planet. If so, even as the Earth lost the mass of the moon, wouldn't it have gained the mass of whatever hit it?
    If the Moon is a quarter size of the Earth, that's a lot of mass to lose. Whatever collided with the Earth would have replaced that lost mass.

Would the Earth and this other object be dissamilar enough that core drillings of the Earth's crust find a demarcation line where the two joined together? If so, would we be able to figure out the composition of whatever struck Earth by studying the difference in planet wide geology and tell approximately what was the impact point on Earth?
    The current theory is that a "Mars-sized" object called "Thea" hit about 4.5 billion years ago, shortly after the Earth was formed. At that time, the scientists estimate that the Earth's size was only about 90% of what it is now. The Earth only had a very thin crust at the time with a still molten core. Thea wasn't much different and, because both were still molten underneath, the two masses of molten cores merged and combined with the heavier parts (iron, uranium, etc.) sank to the core and began to "layer" the core based on their densities.
    They theorize that Thea did not hit the Earth "head-on" but off-center, shattering the crustal material of both worlds, flinging it off into space, forming a halo (ring) around the now completely molten Earth. They think that there may have actually been TWO moons aggregating from that debris, with the second (and smaller) moonlet overtaking and combining with the other in a slow-motion merge. This is partly based on the evidence of the samples brought back from the Moon having nearly identical isotopes of various elements and compounds to those same items in the Earth's crust.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

I watch "Seal Team" on TV. I usually like the show. Watching reruns now...they just ran the one where the ex-SEAL shot himself because he couldn't get his TBI documented with the VA. According to the plot, the VA Doctor said he wasn't authorized to order an MRI that cost thousands of dollars.

Now, I only deal with my VA clinic an hour away and the VA Medical Center 3 hours away, so I have no knowledge what goes on elsewhere. That being said, that part of the show was hog wash in my dealings with the VA.
    My primary care doctor has routinely ordered MRIs for this or that with no questions asked. Doctors at the med center routinely set MRI appointments when they deem it necessary. Never was it brought up about authorization or cost.
    I've never been refused an MRI, or any other test a doctor has ordered.

The men fighting today face a different war than us old guys did. Our trouble with th VA was getting them to recognize Agent Orange exposure and PTSD.

The trouble today's warriors might have is getting the VA to recognize TBIs as combat injuries that are service connected. But they certainly should have no trouble getting a VA doctor to run an MRI of their brain to see if they do have a TBI that needs to be treated.

They may never be able to get it service connected, but they can be treated for it.

But what do I know, I'm just an old man on the internet.

To get back to serious scientific discussion .....

......I present this piece of arguement.

No, but you can be accused of deploying a weapon of mass destruction.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast