Thread: Big Bores

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Post Big Bores

Looking at two Ruger #1 rifles at a local auction the Saturday, one is in .416 Rigby while the other is chambered in .400/450. Both are beautiful but they'd starve to death in my house. Haven't found any ammo for the later but the cheapest I could find in .416 Rigby is $9 a round not counting shipping! I thought .50 cal Browning was expensive!

There is a third rifle in 45-70 which actually seems quite reasonable in comparison. Any members have a big bore and if so how do you keep it fed without breaking the bank?
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

I have a .45-70 Marlin Guide Gun in SS. As far as feeding it, very occasionally, when at Wally World, I'll pick up a box of cartridges. Don't do it very often as they aren't overly cheap, but most of the time, they're cheaper than I can buy anywhere else.

As far as shooting it, I don't shoot it but maybe once a year and then, I don't shoot it for long as it kicks like pissed off mule. After about 5 shots, my shoulder is pretty tender.

But, if I ever get invited to hunt bear somewhere, I'm ready....

As far as the other calibers you mentioned, I can't say anything because I've never shot either one of them, nor do I know anyone who even has one.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Almost bought a Marlin in .444 Marlin years ago but didn't. Kinda wish I had now. I've never fired a Ruger #1 so have no idea how they are in the recoil department as far as stock design, etc., but I've always liked their looks especially these Tropical models with the front sling mount on the barrel. Unless they go for dirt cheap I doubt I'd get one. Got my eye on some other, more practical pieces.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    Looking at two Ruger #1 rifles at a local auction the Saturday, one is in .416 Rigby while the other is chambered in .400/450. Both are beautiful but they'd starve to death in my house. Haven't found any ammo for the later but the cheapest I could find in .416 Rigby is $9 a round not counting shipping! I thought .50 cal Browning was expensive!

There is a third rifle in 45-70 which actually seems quite reasonable in comparison. Any members have a big bore and if so how do you keep it fed without breaking the bank?

You have to reload to keep costs down. I reload 45-70 for a Marlin 1895. Mostly 405 grain hard cast over 60 grains of 777 (for the black power style smoke and authentic 19th century ballistics, or I load a medium level load of RL-7 to about 1700-1800 fps. Bullets run around 31 cents. With respect to reloading I tend to buy several pounds of powder at a time and then it lasts for years. I have found hard cast bullets will penetrate medium trees. When I get the urge to shoot through a larger than medium tree I splurge and shoot one of the Underwood extreme penetrator rounds.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    As far as shooting it, I don't shoot it but maybe once a year and then, I don't shoot it for long as it kicks like pissed off mule. After about 5 shots, my shoulder is pretty tender.
    I can attest to that gun kicking like a mule. I can also attest to being slightly crazy as Ali talked me into shooting it a second time!
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

They Just hurt (me anyway) to shoot. But at 5'8" 164 eh. But years ago at a range a man had rented the 25 and 50 yrd
    range lines that were next to each other. He was on his way to Africa to hunt Water Buffalo and had a double barreled
    rifle in a .40 cal. (it may have been a .416 or larger). Anyway this guy was big 6- 2,3,4 something and 200+ plus. He was taking double
    shot fire on the 50 and as quick as he could on the 25 and that rifle was standing him straight up, with the rifle climbing to almost a 45*
    angle. He must have done this 4 times over 20 minutes and he finally looked at me and said "Damn I knew it was gonna hurt but damn."

I wonder how it went for him. But that man was leaning into it as far as he could and that rifle was standing him straight up.
    I would have moved my ass.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

other than full power loads, you have to reload and cast if you want to shoot cheap and without beating yourself up . You can go over the top or just plink on the very cheap with unique/dracon loads.

I never found ruger #1's to be too punishing regardless of caliber fired.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2014 Hatedbysheeple's Avatar

1895 guide gun in .45-70 I have slays hogs. Used it in the jungle while stationed on Guam, the rounds went through underbrush like it wasn’t even there. I want to buy an 1895 SBL like in Jurassic world and wind river but can’t justify the cost for stainless and 2 extra rounds in the tube. Thinking about a fixed power scout scope for hunting in North Carolina.

Look at hornady lever revolution rounds, I can find them on sell for $20-25 for 20. For hunting I use buffalo bore 405gr hard cast magnums. It can only be used in modern marlins and ruger #1s.

I don’t shoot my .45-70 from the bench or prone, only standing with a shooting stick for sighting in. The felt recoil seems lower because I think my whole body can more freely move and absorb it. For hunting it has all been well under 100 yards, usually 40 yards or less for hogs in the jungle.
    Initial Success or Total Failure

wow those SBL's went up .
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    I can attest to that gun kicking like a mule. I can also attest to being slightly crazy as Ali talked me into shooting it a second time!
    From the bench a 45-70 is punishing. Offhand not so much as in my experience as you can roll with the shot.