Thread: Navy Orders 60,000 Compact Versions of Army's New Sidearm

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Post Navy Orders 60,000 Compact Versions of Army's New Sidearm

After today, it's all historical.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Isn't that the gun that malfunctions or fires if dropped?

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Pretty sure that issue has been addressed. From the videos I saw you had to drop it from a certain height, it had it hit on a certain spot, etc. Not sure if you also needed to hold your tongue a certain way as well but I wouldn't be surprised.

It had something to due with the weight of the trigger. When the pistol hit the trigger had enough way, or maybe not enough weight, can't recall but basically the gun stopped moving but the inertia acted on the trigger and made it fire.
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 03-28-2018 at 06:51 PM.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    In order to fire it by dropping it it has to be dropped directly on the back of the slide, which isn't even included in normal drop tests. The reason it did this was because the trigger lacked an inertia safety such as Glock's dongle safety on the trigger or S&W's M&P articulated trigger. Sig has since solved this issue by decreasing the weight of the trigger which removed enough mass so that if the gun is dropped on the rear of the slide the trigger will not have enough inertia to fire the gun.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

I've been looking at the Sig P320 X-five and X-carry pistols myself.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2014 Hatedbysheeple's Avatar

Should have went with a glock 19
    Initial Success or Total Failure

Quote Originally Posted by Hatedbysheeple View Post
    Weren't you issued/carrying a G19? Any experience with the SIG 226 MK25?
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Yeah ... all the Glock fan club has been having orgasms all over the G5 19x (same as with every new release) ...
    ... which is enough to make me keep my Gen2 19 (fewer people have had orgasms on it)

Which reminds me ... if Glock is Perfection ... why do they have to keep improving it?

oooh! I should make that my tag-line!
    Last edited by kimberkid; 03-31-2018 at 01:41 PM.

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2014 Hatedbysheeple's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kimberkid View Post
    Yeah ... all the Glock fan club has been having orgasms all over the G5 19x (same as with every new release) ...
    ... which is enough to make me keep my Gen2 19 (fewer people have had orgasms on it)

Which reminds me ... if Glock is Perfection ... why do they have to keep improving it?

oooh! I should make that my tag-line!
    We have gen 3 or gen 4, everyone I work with and myself think the 19x is dumb.

While the g19 is preferred after that I think the crowd favorite is the m11, which is a sig 229. The full size 226’s are nice but to big a concealable pistol is preferred. So if the navy is buying the compact version of the new pistol I think that will work, for what is needed.
    Initial Success or Total Failure

We have gen 3 or gen 4, everyone I work with and myself think the 19x is dumb.

While the g19 is preferred after that I think the crowd favorite is the m11, which is a sig 229. The full size 226’s are nice but to big a concealable pistol is preferred. So if the navy is buying the compact version of the new pistol I think that will work, for what is needed.
    I've got a Gen 3 G19 and an M11A1. The G19 just barely edges the M11A1 put of the top spot but I believe if I swap out the grips on the M11 with E2 grips it would take the top spot from the Glock. They are both excellent pistols.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068