Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pope Claims There Is No Hell

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Pope Claims There Is No Hell

Going against 2,000+ years of Catholic doctrine, Pope Francis has declared there is no Hell for unforgiven souls to enter. He says they simply disappear.

If this is so, then why did Christ die on the cross?

Does this mean that Confession isn't really that important?

This statement has opened up a whole new can of worms.

https://pjmedia.com/faith/pope-francis-says-no-hell/
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

So what did Jesus die for? Me!

HAPPY EASTER. GOD BLESS YOU ALL !!!!!!
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    So what did Jesus die for? Me!

HAPPY EASTER. GOD BLESS YOU ALL !!!!!!
    Obviously, the Pope would disagree with you.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

I tend to go along with the pope on this one
    I know you can't just go by one verse but this one sums it up for me as far as the topic

Romans 6:23
    For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

It doesn't say the wages of sin is eternal life in any place, just death
    If you believe then you have eternal life if not you're dead or as he said it you disappear
    That punishment is eternal but I don't think there's a place of eternal punishing

I like his take on correcting the Lord's prayer as well
    https://www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/world/2...-mistake-in-it
    He doesn't particularly like the phrase "lead us not into temptation," suggesting that it should be changed to "do not let us fall into temptation."
    Makes more sense to me but that's another topic and there's a lot I don't care for about the guy
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    Going against 2,000+ years of Catholic doctrine, Pope Francis has declared there is no Hell for unforgiven souls to enter. He says they simply disappear.
    Considering it was the Roman Catholic Church that invented the idea of hell (borrowed from the ancient Greeks before them), it's only fitting that they decide to "un-invent" the idea now.

The Church wouldn't have lasted this long, becoming the largest religious denomination in the world, if it wasn't keen on adapting its doctrines to fit the times.
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

All religion is theory without proof. If something can be proved it is science not religion. To put it another way, for those claiming there is a hell, where is the proof? And don't tell me that the Bible is proof. Saying that the Bible (written by humans) is the word of God because the Bible says it is the word of God is not proof, it is circular logic.
    Last edited by jet3534; 03-30-2018 at 08:18 PM.

Could we arrange for him to go on a "scouting trip" and try to tell us what he found in a seance?
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jet3534 View Post
    All religion is theory without proof. If something can be proved it is science not religion.
    Like evolution?
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

So, it sounds like he still believes in hell, but that it is not an eternal place of torment and torture but separation from God. Once separated from God as the source of life you cease to exist. While I find it interesting coming from the Pope my studying has lead me to a very similar belief.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

NRA Endowment Member

I can agree with that.

be the heat..

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    Like evolution?
    Evolution is a proven fact. The discovery of DNA and DNA sequencing in addition to fossil evidence and radio carbon dating, U232 dating, etc. make it impossible not to believe in evolution without a total suspension of critical thinking. Then there is the fact that there are species have evolved recently, i.e., within our lifetime.

I challenge anyone who does not believe in evolution to explain vestigial organs.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vestigiality#Animals
    Last edited by jet3534; 03-31-2018 at 12:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    Could we arrange for him to go on a "scouting trip" and try to tell us what he found in a seance?
    It would probably be better to hook him up with a high class prostitute and then ask him if he liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by jet3534 View Post
    Evolution is a proven fact. The discovery of DNA and DNA sequencing in addition to fossil evidence and radio carbon dating, U232 dating, etc. make it impossible not to believe in evolution without a total suspension of critical thinking. Then there is the fact that there are species have evolved recently, i.e., within our lifetime.

I challenge anyone who does not believe in evolution to explain vestigial organs.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vestigiality#Animals
    You might want to do some more research about DNA and its companion RNA and the various proteins they control. When originally found there was a lot of excitement that DNA would finally end the argument about evolution. The problem is, the more we learn about just how complex and precise DNA, its replication and control abilities, the less likely evolution is, at least in the time horizon available.

The problem with radiocarbon dating is that C-14 has a half-life of ~5500 years. Science assumes that after 10 half-lives a material is essential gone so after 55000 years there should be no more C-14 from organic samples from earth. Yet substantial C-14 is found in samples that are supposed to be millions of years old. Additionally, if you use other radiolytic date measuring methods (K-At, Rb-Sr, Sm-Nd, Pb-Pb) you come up with dates varying by significant amounts for the same sample. Theoretically they should all be relatively close to the same thing, but they are not.

The fossil evidence is questionable as well when you consider the Cambrian explosion. There is not a slow increase in fossil evidence, just a sudden plethora of the them.

These are just a few reasons why evolution is still considered a theory and not a fact. And as theories go, it is getting harder to support scientifically, though I do admit that there are many very smart people trying to do just that.

NRA Endowment Member

You might want to do some more research about DNA and its companion RNA and the various proteins they control. When originally found there was a lot of excitement that DNA would finally end the argument about evolution. The problem is, the more we learn about just how complex and precise DNA, its replication and control abilities, the less likely evolution is, at least in the time horizon available.
    Hardly so, my friend. Any college-level course in Genetics will dispel any doubts one has about evolution being anything but reality. Just the fact we share so many genes with our closest chimpanzee relatives and can see how those genes differ as one observes each species' genomes, moving up the evolutionary tree.

The evidence for evolution is overwhelming.

A good brief summary can be found right here: https://www.khanacademy.org/science/...-for-evolution

Evolution is as established of a "theory" in science as is the "theory" of gravity. In other words, it's all but proven.

Of course, any good scientific theory is always open to the possibility of being disproved some day... but despite many, many attempts, both the theory of gravity and the theory of evolution still stand.
    Last edited by LAGC; 03-31-2018 at 03:52 PM.
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Quote Originally Posted by LAGC View Post
    Hardly so, my friend. Any college-level course in Genetics will dispel any doubts one has about evolution being anything but reality. Just the fact we share so many genes with our closest chimpanzee relatives and can see how those genes differ as one observes each species' genomes, moving up the evolutionary tree.

The evidence for evolution is overwhelming.

A good brief summary can be found right here: https://www.khanacademy.org/science/...-for-evolution

Evolution is as established of a "theory" in science as is the "theory" of gravity. In other words, it's all but proven.

Of course, any good scientific theory is always open to the possibility of being disproved some day... but despite many, many attempts, both the theory of gravity and the theory of evolution still stand.
    You believe what you wish. There are things I will never take to heart. So hold on to your to your belief in .......

be the heat..

Still waiting for an explanation (other than evolution) of vestigial organs.

And as I mentioned new species evolve within our lifetime.
    https://www.princeton.edu/news/2017/...wo-generations

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    You believe what you wish. There are things I will never take to heart. So hold on to your to your belief in .......
    The good thing about science is it is based on proof, not belief.

The problem with radiocarbon dating is that C-14 has a half-life of ~5500 years. Science assumes that after 10 half-lives a material is essential gone so after 55000 years there should be no more C-14 from organic samples from earth. Yet substantial C-14 is found in samples that are supposed to be millions of years old. Additionally, if you use other radiolytic date measuring methods (K-At, Rb-Sr, Sm-Nd, Pb-Pb) you come up with dates varying by significant amounts for the same sample. Theoretically they should all be relatively close to the same thing, but they are not.

The fossil evidence is questionable as well when you consider the Cambrian explosion. There is not a slow increase in fossil evidence, just a sudden plethora of the them.

These are just a few reasons why evolution is still considered a theory and not a fact. And as theories go, it is getting harder to support scientifically, though I do admit that there are many very smart people trying to do just that.
    Radiocarbon dating is only good for a few thousand years. Other kinds of radiometric dating are good for Billions of years.

Do you consider Adam and Eve to be a theory or a fact?

In U.S., Belief in Creationist View of Humans at New Low

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- The percentage of U.S. adults who believe that God created humans in their present form at some time within the last 10,000 years or so -- the strict creationist view -- has reached a new low. Thirty-eight percent of U.S. adults now accept creationism, while 57% believe in some form of evolution -- either God-guided or not -- saying man developed over millions of years from less advanced forms of life.
    http://news.gallup.com/poll/210956/b...s-new-low.aspx

Faith continues to decline, in America and Europe... while faith remains high in Muslim areas (shithole countries).

Quote Originally Posted by LAGC View Post
    In U.S., Belief in Creationist View of Humans at New Low

http://news.gallup.com/poll/210956/b...s-new-low.aspx

Faith continues to decline, in America and Europe... while faith remains high in Muslim areas (shithole countries).
    Faith based on fundamentalism declines - which is not to say that faith that is accepting of science continues to decline.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast