Thread: can you identify this underfolder?

can you identify this underfolder?

I have a recent post about changing out the underfolder on my mak90. Sorry if I started this new thread. This is the bolted in place underfolder I took off. Notice the pin that is blocking one of the lug holes. The other pin is for the sling swivel.Is it possible this mak was one that came thru with and underfloder and butt hole stock together and they just decommissioned the uf? Could this in fact be a Chinese underfolder? Curious as a cat. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by fez; 03-31-2018 at 04:08 PM.

I can't answer that really but if it was one of those rifles I believe it would be more of a 56s rather than a MAK
    How is it marked? Etched over with new name?
    The one I did was a 56s with a weird thumbhole stock more like a Hungarian just covering the open holes of the folder
    Bayonet lugs were ground down but the cleaning rod was still in place
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

This is the only info on receiver. Nothing crossed off or stamped over. On/near the front trunion is just the date and ser#. 92/1606.

Since you are not sure of what you have I would preach caution.

I have seen in the ak world that which looks mundane can be scrap or expensive.
    But interesting it is...
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    In the immediate days after George Bush the First issued his executive order for ATF to enforce the sporting purpose clause of the 1968 GCA, there were some underfolders that had their folders locked into the folded position, and then a Bush-hole stock installed over the rear of the receiver. Made for an interesting look of stupidity. Later ones were obviously removed with plates riveted over the folder holes in the receiver to prevent honest owners from becoming baby killing maniacs.

You seem to have found one of the rare ones that had the folder locked into the folded position, keeping the owner safe and life as we know it to prevail.

As for the stampings, the original importers usually had the rifles stolen from them by ATF and when finally released were given to different importers. They then restamped them as they desired. Many times the original importer marks were meticulously scrubbed off and were virtually impossible to find, and then there were many that were obviously ground off with no care for how bad it looked.

Pretty sad times indeed.

Thanks for that interesting history. The chronological order confuses me though. Bush1 issued his order around 1989. So the underfolder/butthole stocks configuration would have been around that time. Yet mine is a 1992. Also, that would make the underfolder itself Chinese?
    Last edited by fez; 03-31-2018 at 08:11 PM.

Just for my own interest, how did you determine a 1992 date? The more I learn, the happier I am.

From the pictures, yes that is a Chinese underfolding stock.

Adding, I wonder if it is a 1992, the possibility it was imported into a state that required the underfolding stock to be fixed in place. That would explain the newer rifle with the locked forward stock.

Near the front trunion it's stamped 92/1606. On some sites I've read that is the year and ser#. Now that I'm thinking about it in all probability someone had an early 2 stock rifle and removed the underfolder. Whoever had my rifle got it and installed it and was ok that it really didn't fold.
    Last edited by fez; 04-01-2018 at 07:42 AM.

Sorry but I believe that serial number is a coincidence because the stamped Norincos imported usually had 6 digit serial numbers. The later ones with the definite 1993 or 1994 import time were stamped with the 93 or 94 in front of the 6 digit serial number.

That said, again the only rule with Chinese rifles was that there were no rules because I have a MAK-90 with either a 7 digit serial number starting with 94 or it is a 1994 import with a 5 digit serial number. Oh, well...

Very confusing. All the parts are stamped with 1606 not 921606: Bolt, carrier, hand guards etc. If you scroll down this guys info he explains his info on serial numbers.
    http://www.mouseguns.com/mak90web/mak90.htm
    Last edited by fez; 04-01-2018 at 08:46 PM.

1606 is the number then. you only have to be smarter than a common denominator.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

So 92 is the year?

So if the last four digits are the serial number, mine stamped 94113XXX would be a 9411 year with a 3XXX serial number?

And the one stamped 57XXX would be an 05 and since they were banned in 1994 that would make it a 1905?

Again, with the Chinese AK variants, the only rule was there were no rules. And yes most parts were only stamped with the last 4 digits of the serial number, mostly because there was no room for the whole number.

I gotcha professor. LOL