Thread: 2001 wasr?

2001 wasr?

Ok back in 2001 I was at a gun show. I wasn’t really looking for a ak but I ran across a guy that had a few ak 47s new in the box. That was when the assault weapon ban was all the talk and at $ 275 I thought well might should go ahead and get one. The guns were finished really nice and seemed well built. They had no bayonet lug and a nut welded on end of barrel. magazine fit was very good with almost no wobble and had a cleaning rod. The furniture was nice with a red glossy finish and the black grip front hand guard has a nice palm swell. Came with 2 double stack 5 or 10 round mags I can’t remember. All the metal seems to be blued. Gun was marked wasr 10. I can find no markings on the trigger group. Sights are good and straight. Stock has cleaning kit. Reciever has a serial number followed by a 2001 production date and has a scope rail on left side. There are no threads under nut on muzzle. Thing is it just doesn’t look like any wasr 10s I’ve seen but does look like the sar-1s I’ve seen except it has no dimples but does have the spacers welded in place. Gun is a fantastic shooter and came with green web sling and oil bottle. Any opinions on what I have. Maybe it’s just a wasr with different furniture. Regardless she’s a keeper !
    Last edited by Test drive; 04-03-2018 at 06:53 PM.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

No dimples = WASR10. All SAR-1 rifles have dimples in the receivers. WASR-10 rifles were and are still imported as single stack magazine (10 shot) rifles. Century mills them out to take the normal double stack magazines. If it goes bang and hits what you're aiming at ... perfect.

Cool and welcome to this forum.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Yeah that’s what I’m thinking. Guess it was one of those Wednesday guns where everyone showed up sober and ready to go to work.
    Last edited by Test drive; 04-03-2018 at 07:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    No dimples = WASR10. All SAR-1 rifles have dimples in the receivers. WASR-10 rifles were and are still imported as single stack magazine (10 shot) rifles. Century mills them out to take the normal double stack magazines. If it goes bang and hits what you're aiming at ... perfect.
    That’s what I’m thinking. Guess it was a Wednesday gun where everybody showed up sober and ready to go to work.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Welcome to Gunsnet !!!

The WASR-10 started coming into the country in 1999. The early ones had narrow front trunions for the single stack bill clinton mags. After importation the mag well and trunion were opened up to accept standard AK mags, with Century replacing the pistol grip, trigger group and gas piston. Color and finish of the wood varied. As the barrel was unthreaded the need for one more USA made part was not necessary.

As for the parts being marked, in the first several years of importation, the WASR-10 and the 3 in the SAR series had Century triggers, disconnectors and hammers that were not always stamped with either the "C" for Century or "USA". Some were, some weren't so it was just accepted that Century was staying legal and they were USA made.

I bought one for my daughter in early 2000 with a 1999 date (actually stamped "99"). To this day it remains single stack, being kept to show the stupidity of a government that thought they could stop crime by how many imported parts are in a long gun or how it looks.

Again, welcome to Gunsnet and enjoy your early WASR!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Test drive View Post
    That’s what I’m thinking. Guess it was a Wednesday gun where everybody showed up sober and ready to go to work.