Thread: So I went to the farm today for a little plinking ...

So I went to the farm today for a little plinking ...

30 mph winds ... Made pistol a challenge

Then I decided to try zeroing the Aresnal SLG95 at 25, then see how it would do at about 100, I was shooting off the back of my truck (it has a hard tonneau cover) I was able to squeeze off a few rounds between gusts ... And was pretty happy with the results; it was my last 5 rounds, 2 to the "head" 3 center of mass ... with the 3x scope I couldn't even see if I'd hit the target until I went down to retrieve it.

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Looks like you had fun. I really like random shoots like this. There is a place i go sometimes and shoot at a big rock. There is no danger of ricochet because there is literally nothing around there. It makes a nice pop when you get a hit and no need to go set up targets ha! just keep whittling away at the rock.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Your farm?
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Full Otto View Post
    Your farm?
    Not no but Hell NO!

A friend has 80 acres that he mostly grows hay on and every few years beans ... he lets me go to anytime because he's only "home" 3-4 months of the year ... it has a couple berms where I can shoot out to 500 yards but that distance goes over a field and a creek ... 25, 100, 300 and 400 are much more accessible.

Too bad.... Oh well
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Quote Originally Posted by kimberkid View Post
    Not no but Hell NO!

A friend has 80 acres that he mostly grows hay on and every few years beans ... he lets me go to anytime because he's only "home" 3-4 months of the year ... it has a couple berms where I can shoot out to 500 yards but that distance goes over a field and a creek ... 25, 100, 300 and 400 are much more accessible.
    Well that's nice to have access.
    I can step out the backdoor.
    My shooting buddies haven't been here in a while come to think of it

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Nice to have a place to shoot not public.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

My shooting buddies haven't been here in a while come to think of it
    Well, we might have to remedy that.

I was pistol shooting with Ten 32 last week and he mentioned making the trek down there with me. PM me if you have some time open this spring.
    Nietzsche: From life's school of war: what does not kill me makes me stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by mrkalashnikov View Post
    Well, we might have to remedy that.

I was pistol shooting with Ten 32 last week and he mentioned making the trek down there with me. PM me if you have some time open this spring.
    I thought you'd be along
    Will work on that

Your farm?
    When I first read that I saw You farm? I'm not one that ever wanted to farm!
    Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    Too bad.... Oh well
    I'd like to have a place like this but there is too much to maintain for me, but I do help with the mowing when I can.
    Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Nice to have a place to shoot not public.
    It is. There's about 10 of us that help with the up-keep and stuff as the owner is only here about 3-4 months of the year ... when it's not too hot or too cold! It's the only private place I have to shoot my MG's without getting "looks" and having to answer a bunch of questions about them being legal ... strangely enough I've never been asked for my "papers".

I can understand it could be hard to maintain, but if you only take care of the homestead,
    it would still be wonderful to own. 80 acres... oh my.

you don't need no stinking papers..

be the heat..

I still have access to the old family farm..but its a four hour drive as long as the weather and traffic is perfect.. Northern Michigan can be a muther fucker....but its over 500 acres, hills/valleys/swamps/woods/farm fields...I miss it
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

sounds to me like you are in the wrong 4 hours. easy to say. i know but fun to dream.

be the heat..

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    sounds to me like you are in the wrong 4 hours. easy to say. i know but fun to dream.
    Yes.

My family is old world, IE.. my ancestors arrived before the French and Indian War...

'cuz of that, not many of us are left...and I have been losing family members left and right over the last 15 years or so...and no male child has been born in over 30 years.

One of my brothers fathered a niece 2 years ago...the first female born in our family in almost 40 years...

Such is life I guess...
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Partisan1983 View Post
    Yes.

My family is old world, IE.. my ancestors arrived before the French and Indian War...

'cuz of that, not many of us are left...and I have been losing family members left and right over the last 15 years or so...and no male child has been born in over 30 years.

One of my brothers fathered a niece 2 years ago...the first female born in our family in almost 40 years...

Such is life I guess...
    We have the same lack of male children problem ... my dad and his brother were the only males of my Grandfather's line until I came along in 1957 ... I have a daughter and she had a son out of wedlock and he has our family name, then I also have a step son with my name (long story) and he has a son.

My uncle finally adopted a boy in 1979 and he adopted twin boys in 2015 ...

On my uncles leg of the family tree, our bloodline stopped with him but our name will continue on by an adopted son and his twin adopted son's.

So technically our name and bloodline will only continue through the bastard child of my daughter.

Kimber - don't hold the kid liable for the poor judgement of the mother. My niece did the same thing and that boy is so smart that he was downloading games to his aunt's smartphone and playing them at the age of FOUR !! The problem I have is that they live ~300 miles to the north of me and I don't get to see and interact with him. I have a single-cock pellet rifle for him but his mother refuses to let him have it, even though they live outside of town on a country road with woods nearby. He's almost a "teen" and I would like to see him in action and see if he could be trusted with MY collection of guns when my time comes. I have no kids of my own and really hope to be able to leave them to my nephew in about 8-10 years. BUT, it is going to depend on his careful handling (safety) as well as his interest in both shooting and (maybe) hunting.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

I did not do anything. My family basically threw me away at 14. I am the last of the name and it will
    die with me....It is what it is. Ya gotta love life.

be the heat..

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    Kimber - don't hold the kid liable for the poor judgement of the mother.
    <SNIP>
    I don't hold him liable or responsible for his being, from what I know of him he's a decent kid; makes good grades, active in church, he has a retro type scooter and he has his restricted license (just turned 15).

I don't want to seem hard about this but I don't want or need the drama that seems to be heading my way. My daughter and grand-kids will be moving back here this summer ... I hope to have him as a shooting buddy ... but I've so many mixed emotions about the coming months. She's a looser magnet and how this boy has turned out so seemingly good is a mystery.

I've written so many things that are too personal ... I'm not going to share it but its good therapy to just write it and look at it ... without "publishing" it.

I know I shouldn't worry about it ... I havn't got any control over what happens, only how I react to it.

I don't hold him liable or responsible for his being, from what I know of him he's a decent kid; makes good grades, active in church, he has a retro type scooter and he has his restricted license (just turned 15).
    That's a good start.

She's a looser magnet and how this boy has turned out so seemingly good is a mystery.
    It may be that he is very intuitive and sees and understands his mother isn't that good of an example and is trying to do many things that are at least "tangential", possibly even "opposite" to her, seeking a better way. Just be there for this (almost) young man, answer his questions briefly and honestly (even if they make you "nervous") and be that "good model" for him to see and follow. He might surprise and delight you.
    I wish you both the best of luck this summer!
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”