Thread: 'Mail fishing' thefts on the rise

Exclamation 'Mail fishing' thefts on the rise

Long a symbol of convenience and security to postal patrons, that iconic blue mailbox at the corner means something very different to thieves prowling the streets of North Jersey: a potential gold mine of checks to be cashed.

In recent months, police throughout the area have seen a rash of mail fishing thefts — low-tech crimes in which rudimentary tools are covered with sticky substances to pluck bank documents, checks and birthday cards out of collection boxes.

The uptick in thefts, now the focus of a federal investigation, has prompted U.S. postal officials to mount a multi-pronged defense to educate patrons on ways to protect their mail. Meanwhile, police have made numerous arrests and caught suspects in the act.

"It's gotten to be a giant problem," said Robert Coyle, chief of police in Totowa, where eight people have reported checks stolen and fraudulently deposited. "They're almost telling people, 'Don't put your mail in mailboxes.' "
    https://www.northjersey.com/story/ne...sey/486534002/

Be careful, guys. Especially if you still pay your bills by personal check in the mail instead of electronic funds transfer online.

If thieves ever get hold of one of your personal checks, they then have your bank's routing number and your checking account number which is printed on the bottom, which they can then use to steal your identity and drain your funds.

It's a different world we live in today, nothing is sacred any more.
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Yes I still pay by check. When they catch these folks they should publicly hang them by the balls

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

I'm' still stuck in the 60s and mail checks to pay bills, but i drop them at the post office a half mile away after we caught one of the local meth heads checking mail boxes a few years ago. Cops wouldn't do anything so my neighbor confronted her and basically beat her ass with her bicycle, she never came down our street again and everyone installed mail boxes that can't be accessed

old news. new day
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Team GunsNet Bronze 10/2014

find 'em, kill 'em, move on.