Thread: ACLU Puts Illinois High School On Notice For Discriminating Against Pro-Gun Students

Thumbs up ACLU Puts Illinois High School On Notice For Discriminating Against Pro-Gun Students

The American Civil Liberties Union of Illinois is accusing a northern Illinois high school of discriminating against a small group of pro-gun students.

The ACLU sent a letter to Rockton’s Hononegah High School this week, just as many students nationwide are planning school walkouts.

The incident took place during last month’s national walkout: a student and her father felt her first amendment rights were violated because she carried a pro-gun message. The majority of students marched for more gun control.

ACLU attorney Rebecca Glenberg says the pro-gun students were disrespected by keeping their protest separated from the larger group by about 50 yards, and ignoring their demands for equal treatment.

“To separate them so much that one group essentially didn’t get to express their views is excessive,” Glenberg said.
    http://northernpublicradio.org/post/...o-gun-students

Good to see the ACLU fighting the good fight for First Amendment rights, regardless of whose free speech is being suppressed.

With most of these Gen Z kids being virulently anti-gun, it can be tough for the minority who want to offer a different message...
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Well, I'll be damned!! The ACLU on our side?!?
    Hell must have frozen over !!
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

I'm impressed.

I am not
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Wait! Its 420, are we all HIGH????

This is a HISTORIC FIRST!!

BISHOP

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    Well, I'll be damned!! The ACLU on our side?!?
    Hell must have frozen over !!
    Don't for a second believe that the ACLU is on our side. This is not about their support for the 2A and if they could push for the same outcome without supporting a group supporting the 2A they would. Supporting the 2A is an inconvenient cost for their primary objective.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Am not, recently I contacted the ACLU and they still don't recognize the 2nd amendment as established fact.

YEP

It is rather disappointing, the ACLU's intransigence when it comes to interpreting the Second Amendment. After all, if they defended the Second as fiercely as they do the First and Fourth, we wouldn't need the NRA.

They have repeatedly come to the side of gun-owners and pro-gun advocates though when their other rights are being threatened (such as with free speech or illegal search and seizure).

It's too bad we don't have a civil rights organization that recognizes the entire BOR as being sacrosanct. Instead we have to farm it out to multiple advocacy groups to get full coverage.
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LAGC View Post
    It is rather disappointing, the ACLU's intransigence when it comes to interpreting the Second Amendment. After all, if they defended the Second as fiercely as they do the First and Fourth, we wouldn't need the NRA.

They have repeatedly come to the side of gun-owners and pro-gun advocates though when their other rights are being threatened (such as with free speech or illegal search and seizure).

It's too bad we don't have a civil rights organization that recognizes the entire BOR as being sacrosanct. Instead we have to farm it out to multiple advocacy groups to get full coverage.
    You seem to have forgotten that the ACLU is just another Communist front whose aim is to rip apart our Judicial System. When you realize that, what they do makes sense.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

We would still have the NRA but they could go back to focusing on civilian marksmanship. Think of all the people they could be training (and they already train a bunch) if they were not having to defend the 2A so vigorously.

The NRA fits that role, believe it or not. This is because the NRA sees the BORs as an entire document and that an attack on one right is an attack on them all. So while the NRA focuses on the 2A, they tie their support of the 2A into support for the other 9 rights protected by the BORs.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    You seem to have forgotten that the ACLU is just another Communist front whose aim is to rip apart our Judicial System. When you realize that, what they do makes sense.
    That is the sorry fact with the ACLU.

It is rather disappointing, the ACLU's intransigence when it comes to interpreting the Second Amendment.

This phrase gets on my nerves. The Second Amendment is as clear as could be. There is nothing to "interpret" (unless the "interpreter" is trying to find a way to defeat it).

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State"

This points out ONE of the many ways that the average American people can provide for the security of their freedom, not the ONLY way. It merely serves to EXPLAIN the second half (when, really, no explanation is needed).

"the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"
    "The right of the people" The phrase "the people" is used many times in the Bill of Rights and in every instance, it means the same thing: The People - All Americans.

"The right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

This is also as clear as can be. Notice that it says "the right of the people". They are talking about a PRE-EXISTING right. A better way to say it would be "the inherent right of the people to keep and bear arms for the security of their family, their town, their state, their Country and for any other use, shall not be infringed". The "for any other use" clause is meant to remove any loophole that a gun grabber may try to use to undermine 2A. And, notice that all bills (proposed laws) all contain that clause.

The Second Amendment does not specify WHICH types of "arms" the people keep and bear. It doesn't say "only muskets" or "no machineguns". In fact, literally, target shooting and hunting are two activities that are NOT protected by 2A.

One could argue that at least target shooting (i.e. PRACTICE) is important in order to maintain proficiency, but that would only be an argument. 2A says nothing about practice.

Really, the Second Amendment would be just as clear (if not all the more clear) if the first half were deleted. The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. Period. No "interpretation" required.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    Don't for a second believe that the ACLU is on our side. This is not about their support for the 2A and if they could push for the same outcome without supporting a group supporting the 2A they would. Supporting the 2A is an inconvenient cost for their primary objective.
    I guess I should have made that previous post in purple.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”