Thread: M16A2 equivalent

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Question M16A2 equivalent

Thinking about picking up a new AR to replace the one I sold to my son in law. I'm kinda leaning towards an A2 clone. Just the basic 20" model with fixed buttstock and removeable carry handle. Probably a 1:7 twist, FH and bayonet lug.

This offering from Windham Weaponary is just about perfect however I know nothing about them or their products.

https://www.windhamweaponry.com/fire...20-govt-rifle/

Are they any good? Any other manufactures making something similar? Was looking at places like Palmetto State Armory and they have one but its out of stock

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-2...-a2-rifle.html

As are their uppers.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-2...516446027.html
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

I have an A2 and it is one of my favorites. It seems to be a tough build right now a lot of the standard A2 stuff seems out of stock most places. You mentioned a removable carry handle which would help with mounting optics but I enjoy the fixed carry handle with open sights. One thing I would say is stay away from HBAR barrels, unneeded weight in my opinion.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    I believe Windham is the oldie but goodie Bushmaster. From what I have heard they maintained the quality of the original Bushmaster company as opposed to the "New" Bushmaster which left the quality back in the old Windham factory.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Removeable carry handle I think is an A3.

Windham Weaponary IS the old Bushmaster.

They sold the company and started a new one in the same building with the same people.
    Different name but same old Bushmaster quality. The new Bushmaster, well, I wouldn't buy one.

BISHOP

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Don't know anything about Windham Weaponry, but $1100 seems a bit much. I built (put one together) one with a removable carry handle (I am sure it is not a correct A2 clone, but close enough for me) for less than half of that. If you can't find the parts, though, I guess that doesn't matter!
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

That's MSRP. Bud's Guns has them for around $880
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    That's MSRP. Bud's Guns has them for around $880
    a bunch of colts just showed up, price a little high, but its a genuine colt.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/765787538

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    a bunch of colts just showed up, price a little high, but its a genuine colt.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/765787538

I've never seen an AR with an ambi selector.....
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

I think those colts are actually real nice looking, out of reach in this state now but if I was in the market.......

Back in Bushmasters early days, the rule was CBA ... Colt, Bushmaster & Armalite ... In that order. Then Armalite upped their game, and Rock River came hit the market. Unfortunately Bushmaster started having a some QC problems with staking the gas key screws; the keys came loose while buyers were shooting them and the outrage was deafening ... It was nearly the death of Bushy as other companies were emerging.

Some other companies had been around like PWA, Eagle Arms, Essential Arms, Sendra and BOHICA are a few I can think off off the top ... And of course there was DPMS, which was the absolute bottom of the barrel. There was only 1 or 2 companies that made forging and most companies had someone else finish their receivers with their names; and very few made their own parts ... I've still got a couple of BOHICA's, a Sendra of course a couple Bushmasters but most I sold for Pre-Ban dollars. The PWA, Eagle Arms were both good but Olympic was typically, just slightly out of spec. I had 2 that I could barely pin the upper to the lower without a lot of pressure, this kept them from rattling which was/is typical for most AR's which helped their accuracy ... They also made their own barrels which were really good for the time, so while some people diss'ed them IF you got a good one you held on to it!

All that trivia out of the way, from what I've heard, the current Bushmasters are a good "middle-of-the-road" choice, much better than the $425 specials that are out there.

Quote Originally Posted by kimberkid View Post
    Back in Bushmasters early days, the rule was CBA ... Colt, Bushmaster & Armalite ... In that order. Then Armalite upped their game, and Rock River came hit the market. Unfortunately Bushmaster started having a some QC problems with staking the gas key screws; the keys came loose while buyers were shooting them and the outrage was deafening ... It was nearly the death of Bushy as other companies were emerging.

Some other companies had been around like PWA, Eagle Arms, Essential Arms, Sendra and BOHICA are a few I can think off off the top ... And of course there was DPMS, which was the absolute bottom of the barrel. There was only 1 or 2 companies that made forging and most companies had someone else finish their receivers with their names; and very few made their own parts ... I've still got a couple of BOHICA's, a Sendra of course a couple Bushmasters but most I sold for Pre-Ban dollars. The PWA, Eagle Arms were both good but Olympic was typically, just slightly out of spec. I had 2 that I could barely pin the upper to the lower without a lot of pressure, this kept them from rattling which was/is typical for most AR's which helped their accuracy ... They also made their own barrels which were really good for the time, so while some people diss'ed them IF you got a good one you held on to it!

All that trivia out of the way, from what I've heard, the current Bushmasters are a good "middle-of-the-road" choice, much better than the $425 specials that are out there.
    What about some of the newer manufactures like cmmg, daniel defense, yhm,bcm, etc

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    What about some of the newer manufactures like cmmg, daniel defense, yhm,bcm, etc
    With the exception of a CMMG dedicated upper in 22LR (which is excellent in every way) I haven't had any personal experience with of those, but I've heard good things about them all.
    Now days I just find a receiver with a logo I like and build ... but if I had to grab something and go, it's likely my Colt's would be at the top.