Thread: Merkel R15

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Merkel R15

Merkel R15 chambered in .243 win. Very light rifle with an awesome trigger. Shoots very well. This is going to be my primary hunting rifle. The working gun. I will be taking white tail deer, bobcats, coyote and the possible blackbear. any objections to caliber?

Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

I have always considered the .243 small but all except for the bear I would think it is ok.

Speed kills and shot placement IS everything.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Definitely shot placement needs to be good. Keep the shots close too, 100 yards or less.

Yea. Your right. Maybe I better think about this. To go from 7mm magnum to .243 win is quite a downgrade. I guess the 7 mag just migrated to the keep pile.

7mm is a good choice and a strong calibre.

be the heat..

RCI - I've had a Rem. 700 in .243 for 30 years but haven't been able to hunt with it (yet).
    What I DID however, was to work up reloads instead of relying on factory ammo. When I first shot 100 gr. PSPs (Fed., Rem., & Win.) at 100 yds., they were all over the paper ! Imagine my despair and confusion. Wrote to powder makers as most manuals at the time listed ONLY 100 gr. bullets. A couple also listed 80 gr. but NONE listed 60 gr. loads and this was one of the loads I was looking for so I could use the gun on groundhogs and other small varmints.
    I was able to find one powder, Accurate 2230 that I could use for all three loads, 60-, 75-, and 100-gr. bullets. When I worked up these loads (using 4+ brands of mixed brass), I was able to finally get a 7 shot group about 1.5" x 2.5" (thanks to 1 flyer) at 200 yds. shooting off of sandbags. One shot at a time, laid the rifle down and pulled next round out of a cooler, so sight picture changed on every shot and I still got that group. I was using a 3-9x scope (on 9x) so a .243, with "tuning", can be very accurate. I wouldn't hesitate to take deer out to 150 yds. with my gun - IF Illinois allowed rifles. This scope is zeroed in at 200 yds. so coyotes and groundhogs can be taken at ~250-275 yds. with little worry - except wind.
    Good luck and have fun!!
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    7mm is a good choice and a strong calibre.
    YEs it is. It is a real show stopper. Already have dead deer on that rifle to prove it. dead right there, like you jerked a rug out from under them. BUT it destroys a 4 to 6 inch wide path wherever the bullet goes through them. Especially if you hit bone. Thats even worse. front shoulder gone.

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    RCI - I've had a Rem. 700 in .243 for 30 years but haven't been able to hunt with it (yet).
    What I DID however, was to work up reloads instead of relying on factory ammo. When I first shot 100 gr. PSPs (Fed., Rem., & Win.) at 100 yds., they were all over the paper ! Imagine my despair and confusion. Wrote to powder makers as most manuals at the time listed ONLY 100 gr. bullets. A couple also listed 80 gr. but NONE listed 60 gr. loads and this was one of the loads I was looking for so I could use the gun on groundhogs and other small varmints.
    I was able to find one powder, Accurate 2230 that I could use for all three loads, 60-, 75-, and 100-gr. bullets. When I worked up these loads (using 4+ brands of mixed brass), I was able to finally get a 7 shot group about 1.5" x 2.5" (thanks to 1 flyer) at 200 yds. shooting off of sandbags. One shot at a time, laid the rifle down and pulled next round out of a cooler, so sight picture changed on every shot and I still got that group. I was using a 3-9x scope (on 9x) so a .243, with "tuning", can be very accurate. I wouldn't hesitate to take deer out to 150 yds. with my gun - IF Illinois allowed rifles. This scope is zeroed in at 200 yds. so coyotes and groundhogs can be taken at ~250-275 yds. with little worry - except wind.
    Good luck and have fun!!

I worked a load up for my Savage Axis using 100 grain Hornady interlocks and IMR 4064 that was same hole. But i have discovered this particular rifle here shoots well with some factory loads. Like in the pic below. I am doing to definitely try this rifle this year in my stand. It is a very controlled environment. I will see how the deer react to a well placed shot before i draw any conclusions. I Have these 6 fresh boxes of ammo that i cant let go to waste. These arent paper punching rounds they were designed to go through deer. It would be a shame if they didn't fulfill their destiny.

Last edited by rci2950; 04-24-2018 at 06:53 AM.

Yeah The heart shot. If you are just hunting I know guys that always took out the neck
    at the top of the shoulders. Spine. They are just as dead but it is shot placement.

be the heat..

RCI - those are good loads. That is the same bullet I used in those 100 gr. loads with the Accurate powder. It's likely that those six boxes will last you the next decade, or more!
    Not having a chrono, I have no idea what my MV is on any of those loads. I only know that the 2230 powder is a faster burning powder than what is likely in those Federals. I also know that, because of that, I will have more "throat erosion" in the chamber because of that hotter powder.
    Enjoy those rounds !
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”