Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it me or are people getting stupider?

Is it me or are people getting stupider?

I had to renew my dl so I go to the dmv. To my dismay things were quick and went well.
    Coming home a car blows past me at at least 15 mph over the speed limit but this car is from a co.
    that teaches people how to drive. Well the driving instructor had to stop at a traffic light so I fire up the phone
    number on the car and tell the person what has happened and give them the last 4 numbers of the tag.

I get "thank you sir did you get the number of the car?" I said I just gave you the last 4 digits of the tag number.

Oh yeah was the response.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

They probably don't give a shit and weren't listening.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

What's wrong with driving 15 over the limit?

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    The company is use to dealing with their vehicles by number, not by license plate numbers.
    Car #07, not car # 1KY 34H.
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

Team GunsNet Bronze 10/2014

it's not you.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by N/A View Post
    The company is use to dealing with their vehicles by number, not by license plate numbers.
    Car #07, not car # 1KY 34H.
    Exactly.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    What's wrong with driving 15 over the limit?
    What is wrong with you having 2,000 rounds of ammo? Some say it is.
    And this was a side road not the interstate.
    Last edited by l921428x; 04-26-2018 at 05:42 PM.

be the heat..

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    What is wrong with you having 2,000 rounds of ammo? Some say it is.
    And this was a side road not the interstate.
    Who on this website has less then 2000 rounds of ammo?
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

60 in a 45 isn't that fast..

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

I always thought those speed limit signs were suggestions. I've always been able to take curves faster than those signs stated, anyway.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    60 in a 45 isn't that fast..

Unless it is you that gets hit. You must live some place that has 10 cars on the road at peak times.

be the heat..

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    I always thought those speed limit signs were suggestions. I've always been able to take curves faster than those signs stated, anyway.
    I agree but when you are weaving through traffic and suggest you could hurt someone else

be the heat..

A recent article said the same thing, including that the "cranial capacity" of many people nowadays is actually smaller than the capacity of our Neanderthals and Cro-Magnan forebears. The theory is that we have off-loaded so many of our memory "duties" to peripheral devices, we no longer need as large a brain as our "storage requirements" are less.
    We no longer need to remember where water sources, animal ambush sites, shelter locations are so we need less capacity.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

"That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Speaking about the driving aspect of stupidity, we had a road rage incident Wednesday that closed the interstate for hours and left two dead. Four elderly sisters from Alabama evidently did something to piss off some guy from Mississippi and he ended up wrecking their car and his. Two of the sisters were thrown from the car and died. One was actually decapitated. Looks like the guy will be charged with at least manslaughter.

How stupid do you have to be to kill two people and ruin your own life forever because someone cut you off or didn't merge correctly?
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Consider that Shakespeare's plays at the Globe Theatre were competing for an audience with the bear baiting going on next door, i.e., an audience that was the man in the street so to speak -- at the time a very uneducated person.

Consider that the man in the street at the time could appreciate and understand the complexity of Shakespeare's plays, the double entendres, the multiple genres, metaphors etc.

Then consider that somehow if Shakespeare were translated into modern English if his plays would appeal to the person today of average IQ.

Well I rest my case. The average person today is far dumber with respect to IQ than people were a few hundred years ago. Certainly people today are more educated, but IQ is diminishing.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jet3534 View Post
    Consider that Shakespeare's plays at the Globe Theatre were competing for an audience with the bear baiting going on next door, i.e., an audience that was the man in the street so to speak -- at the time a very uneducated person.

Consider that the man in the street at the time could appreciate and understand the complexity of Shakespeare's plays, the double entendres, the multiple genres, metaphors etc.

Then consider that somehow if Shakespeare were translated into modern English if his plays would appeal to the person today of average IQ.

Well I rest my case. The average person today is far dumber with respect to IQ than people were a few hundred years ago. Certainly people today are more educated, but IQ is diminishing.
    And who has turned our education system from one of the best in the world into one that , every year, turns out graduates that can't count correct change without a computerized cash register (and even that is beyond some of them)?

A system that turned out scientists who put us on the moon and gave us a level of living that used to surpass everyone else's, but now turns out graduates that can't write in cursive, nor count in fractional parts?

A system that enabled 99% of its graduates to become self sufficient as soon as they left school, into one that graduates kids who have no marketable skills, nor the drive to succeed, and are forced to live in their parents for until their parents are put in nursing homes?

A system that encouraged, and produced, productive citizens into one that many graduates see welfare checks as their primary income and their highest level of success?

A system that produced graduates who could think on their feet, into a system that produces mind-numbed robots who have to turn to social media to determine what to think?

A system that used to use newspapers as trusted articles to gather truthful information into a system that uses fake news that drives an agenda?

A system that used to consider all sides of an argument to arrive at a correct mindset into one that forbids criticism of certain ideas?

A system that prided itself on heritage and factual history into one that promotes fictional history?

A system that taught, with reverence, what our Founding Fathers did for us into one that makes our Founding Fathers look like racist, bigoted fools who created the worst nation on earth?

No wonder present days kids are snowflakes.

Who did that? Everyone gets a wild guess.....
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

And who has turned our education system from one of the best in the world into one that , every year, turns out graduates that can't count correct change without a computerized cash register (and even that is beyond some of them)?

A system that turned out scientists who put us on the moon and gave us a level of living that used to surpass everyone else's, but now turns out graduates that can't write in cursive, nor count in fractional parts?

A system that enabled 99% of its graduates to become self sufficient as soon as they left school, into one that graduates kids who have no marketable skills, nor the drive to succeed, and are forced to live in their parents for until their parents are put in nursing homes?

A system that encouraged, and produced, productive citizens into one that many graduates see welfare checks as their primary income and their highest level of success?

A system that produced graduates who could think on their feet, into a system that produces mind-numbed robots who have to turn to social media to determine what to think?

A system that used to use newspapers as trusted articles to gather truthful information into a system that uses fake news that drives an agenda?

A system that used to consider all sides of an argument to arrive at a correct mindset into one that forbids criticism of certain ideas?

A system that prided itself on heritage and factual history into one that promotes fictional history?

A system that taught, with reverence, what our Founding Fathers did for us into one that makes our Founding Fathers look like racist, bigoted fools who created the worst nation on earth?

Liberals.

But there is also the factor that the dumber people produce more offspring so we are breeding lower IQs.

Actually we did it ourselves. Yes liberals were hands on, (I honestly believe liberals are very good at playing the long game and this is part of that long approach they have taken) but conservatives allowed it to happen. Haven't had a child in public school since 1999 but I admit when it came to PTA, school board, etc., neither my wife or I did much to participate or try and change anything. Too busy making a living which is a poor excuse.

In fact the approach that I believe really took off over the last couple of decades was home schooling. Just take the child out of the system rather than try and change the system. I don't recall the curriculum being terribly liberal when our daughter was in school but to be honest I didn't review her text books or assignments with a fine tooth comb and that's on me. My guess is it's much different and worse now especially in more progressive areas of the country.

As I said, liberals brought about the changes but I think we were asleep at the switch while they did it.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rci2950 View Post
    Who on this website has less then 2000 rounds of ammo?
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast