Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is pressure treated wood safe for a kids play set?

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Is pressure treated wood safe for a kids play set?

I am starting the build on my sons play set and went to Kent and then home depot in search of 4x4x8 boards to start the legs. Anyway All they had was pressure treated. Either brown or green. The guy in the lumber department told me it is fine but I don't trust his opinion. I would rather be sure. So what do i do? Special order my wood or go with the pressure treated? Is it still toxic? It makes your hands feel grimy when handling it so i would obviously have to paint it or something.

Help!
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

I once had to work backed up to some creosote treated lumber, next morning I woke up and the backs of both arms were blistered with big ole blisters. Dunno if the treated wood will cause reactions but as long as the kids don't hang on to the wood things should be fine.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Well i wont be using the stuff you are talking about. Just the green stuff. The legs are my main concern. I will be using non pressure treated for the decking. Possibly cedar. Overall it's not that big so won't be a cost issue

Quote Originally Posted by rci2950 View Post
    I am starting the build on my sons play set and went to Kent and then home depot in search of 4x4x8 boards to start the legs. Anyway All they had was pressure treated. Either brown or green. The guy in the lumber department told me it is fine but I don't trust his opinion. I would rather be sure. So what do i do? Special order my wood or go with the pressure treated? Is it still toxic? It makes your hands feel grimy when handling it so i would obviously have to paint it or something.

Help!

NO! Absolutely not!

The primary chemical used in pressure treated wood is ARSENIC. And, painting or staining the wood does not prevent poisoning by contact.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Well i wont be using the stuff you are talking about. Just the green stuff. The legs are my main concern. I will be using non pressure treated for the decking. Possibly cedar. Overall it's not that big so won't be a cost issue

Again, NO!!!

The only difference between "green" and "brown" pressure treated wood is that the brown stuff is stained brown to look like cedar.

How about aluminum studs? Or steel.. As far as the 4x4x8 stuff ask the store for a msds (material safety data sheet) on the wood.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Team GunsNet Bronze 10/2014

they make recycled plastic decking. don't know about price. pressure treated will fade and have to be painted in a year or so anyway. you might look at regular yellow pine and paint it in a few weeks. the sun is the worst thing for un-treated or un-painted lumber.

RCI - I agree with Krupski. If the pressure treated lumber you are considering says something like "CCA" on it, that stands for chromium copper arsenate. The chromium isn't good (it's a "heavy metal") but it isn't as bad as that last part. "Arsenate" means it is based chemically on an arsenic compound. We all know how "safe" anything related to arsenic is, don't we?
    Are the vertical posts going to be sitting directly on the ground or on some kind of concrete support? If the latter, a good primer and enamel paint are your best options. They seal and protect the wood but will need redoing after 2-4 years, depending how rough the kids are on the equipment.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

Skip that poisonous crap & use cedar for your project.
    Nietzsche: From life's school of war: what does not kill me makes me stronger.

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Seriously guys? Kids and adults have been playing on treated wood for how long? I'm not retarded.

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    Quote Originally Posted by kuntryboy View Post
    they make recycled plastic decking. don't know about price. pressure treated will fade and have to be painted in a year or so anyway. you might look at regular yellow pine and paint it in a few weeks. the sun is the worst thing for un-treated or un-painted lumber.
    My experience with plastic decking is that it gets unbearably hot in the sun. Don't know how much of an issue it would be for a play set though

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    Seriously guys? Kids and adults have been playing on treated wood for how long? I'm not retarded.
    Sez u

be the heat..

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    Sez u
    Hhmm? I was wondering about that too !
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post

You shouldn't flippantly make statements that could cause someone else harm.

LINK

Relevant text (about 1/2 way down the page):

Treated Wood Is a Risk for Kids

Arsenic in pressure-treated wood -- used in play sets, decks, and picnic tables across the country -- poses an increased risk of cancer to kids who play and eat on wood surfaces, according to the EPA.

Many outdoor wooden structures in the U.S. are made from arsenic-based treated wood. While the wood industry phased out production of this type of wood in 2003, existing structures are still a concern.

To protect your children from arsenic exposure, take the following measures:

• Seal the wood at least once per year with standard penetrating deck treatments.
    • Replace potentially high-exposure sections such as handrails, steps, or deck boards with non-arsenic alternatives.
    • Keep children and pets away from the soil beneath and immediately surrounding arsenic-treated wood structures.
    • Cover arsenic-treated picnic tables with a tablecloth before using.
    • Do not pressure-wash to clean the surface of arsenic-treated wood. Instead, use a soap and water solution, with disposable cleaning supplies.
    • Do not allow children to play on rough wood surfaces. Arsenic-treated wood splinters can be dangerous.
    • Do not store toys or tools under the deck. Arsenic leaches from the wood when it rains and may coat things left there.
    • Do not use commercial "deck washing" solutions. These solutions can convert chemicals on the wood to a more toxic form.

This isn't a joke.

So update on this. I asked at two different building supply places about the treated wood and I also called a supplier on the phone. The pressure treated wood we are using in canada now is treated with copper. There is no arsnic in it anymore. They all claimed it is safe. I am going to use the treated wood for the parts touching the ground and the main 4x4 support beams. I picked some up and i am going to scrub the wood down with a scrub brush and soapy water to remove the copper from the outside of the wood. The finished play set is then going to be painted. So should be no issues with being harmed.

So update on this. I asked at two different building supply places about the treated wood and I also called a supplier on the phone. The pressure treated wood we are using in canada now is treated with copper. There is no arsnic in it anymore. They all claimed it is safe. I am going to use the treated wood for the parts touching the ground and the main 4x4 support beams. I picked some up and i am going to scrub the wood down with a scrub brush and soapy water to remove the copper from the outside of the wood. The finished play set is then going to be painted. So should be no issues with being harmed.
    We don't get CCA out here anymore only the ACQ and it doesn't last for shit.

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    You shouldn't flippantly make statements that could cause someone else harm.

LINK

Relevant text (about 1/2 way down the page):

This isn't a joke.
    Okay then, It's official, Everything is a risk for kids....Get the XL sheets of bubble wrap out..... Of course that might explain Liberals, all the chemicals they grew up with.....

Well I grew up with firearms, lead, arsenic, mercury, no seat belts, single pane windows, mosquitoes, no A/C and I made it. But hell I do even see "kids" outside anymore.

Well there was that negro kid on the bike last year that told me to just die...

be the heat..

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    Well I grew up with firearms, lead, arsenic, mercury, no seat belts, single pane windows, mosquitoes, no A/C and I made it. But hell I do even see "kids" outside anymore.
    My kid lives out in the back yard. He is starting a worm farm. Asked me for mouse traps today so he could catch mice. He is 4 I dont even know where he comes up with this stuff.

That is good. Very good. Hell when I was growing up my parents had to force me in at night.

Already 4 wow!

be the heat..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast