Thread: New M1A

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Question New M1A

If you were looking to acquire a new M1A would you go with Springfield Armory, Fulton Armory or someone else? My last and only was a Polytechnic M14S that never gave me a single problem. I've still got an early cast receiver Century CETME for a 7.62x51 auto loader so don't really need an M1A but was thinking about one and was just wondering where you all would turn to if you were in the market for one.

My other thought was going with some type of AR-10 platform. Didn't really consider an FAL but I guess that could be a possibility. Of the above options keeping the CETME and just adding a scope and mount with maybe a little tuning of some type would be the cheapest. We're talking occasional plinking at the range and of course perimeter security during the next zombie apocalypse.

The AR-10 probably provides the best platform for customization. The FAL, well I have to admit it's a classic some versions like the Canadian C2 or the HB Izzy are very sexy, IMHO.

Anyway, just wondering what you all think?
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

The Springfield Armory are the ones I would lean towards. I haven't done a lot of investigating on it but I have owned a Springfield Armory firearm and really like it and the few reviews I have read about their M1As are very good.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Other than a FAL I'd go with an older Springfield M1A .
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    Why older? I'm gonna guess more surplus parts in older models or were they just built better? I seem to recall that SA doesn't actually make anything, they just assemble firearms or import them. Aren't their M1A and Garand receivers made by Lithgow and their 1911 frames in South America?
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

could always shop around for a james river M1a or a BM59 .

I always liked the older M1a's due to looks .
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

could always shop around for a james river M1a or a BM59 .

I always liked the older M1a's due to looks .
    Understood. JRA is the other maker I couldn't recall. Classic Arms is their distributor and the BM-59 is actually cheaper than the M1A they sell or even Springfield Armory. Even the mags @ $40 aren't outrageous. I've also been thinking about getting another Garand from the CMP. A BM-59 could scratch a couple of itches, so to speak.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

LRB is the best M14 manufacture right now, unless you are looking at transferables or prebans etc.

I haven't heard much on FA...

A BM59 is a completely different animal...think of it as a mix between a Garand and a M14, it is truly unique.
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Thumbs up

Thanks. Looks like Saco is $100 cheaper than CF for this rifle and their mags are $10 cheaper. I did notice Sarco sells it with a 10rd mag but CF ships with a 20rd. I notice the one BM-59 E model looks more like a Garand then the rest. Must be an early version from the conversion. Wonder if it would offer any advantage over the later more standard BM-59 models?

Was thinking if it had more Garand parts in it then future repairs might be easier/cheaper?
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

LRB would be the best of the best currently. Second pick Fulton Armory. These only if you really plan to use it a lot or shoot competition. Otherwise just get a Springfield Armory Loaded package rifle. You're right about an AR-10 for customization, but I'd also throw in probably a crap load more accurate than a standard grade M1A type rifle. Magazines are plentiful and not overly expensive for either metal or Polymer like Mag-Pull brand. I know if I were to do another rifle in 7.62 Nato it would be an AR-10 platform of some sort.

This ... Springfield can't get many GI parts anymore and from what I've heard just don't live up to their reputation anymore. FA and LRB are said to build fantastic M1A's (or whatever their designation is.)

Personally I like a pistol grip, so I'm an AR-10 guy ... I've really been impressed with the 6.5 Creedmoor build I did last year with JP Enterprise parts assembled to a Spikes Jack 308 upper and lower receiver set.

I like SA ok. Fulton does seem to be better in my experience with them. I have a LRB M25 which is also a nice piece. My Fulton M14 is my favorite.