Thread: Well so much for my gun buying hiatus

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Well so much for my gun buying hiatus

Bought a S&W SD9VE this morning. Was in the gun shop yesterday and they got a bunch in. Price is rock bottom and the gun feels surprisingly good. $233 US Dollers out the door... I converted it for you guys. Comes with two mags and a stupid looking cable lock. trigger is just as mushy as the M&P but the gun feels solid. Will post pics when i get it home. Have to wait 5 days. lol Do you guys still have to do that?
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Nice buy!

Most states in the firearm ununited states of America allow for just passing the National Instant Check System (NICS) which is just fill out a form, call some nebulous god (small "g") in a federal job who then either tells the seller to sell the gun, in rare but still happens cases you do get a delay usually because your name matches some serial killer's name. If you are really bad you can be denied, but for the most part if you are a fine upstanding honest person you can take the pistol home immediately after the phone call.

let us know if it works
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

In Ga. if you have a CCW you walk in walk out.

I thought you were selling?
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Is that new or used? I used to see them on sale at Gander Mountain a few years ago and even at their prices I thought about getting one for a truck gun.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

In MD, I think there's a 10 waiting period. It used to be 21 days. However, that's not the real drawback. The problem is all the crap and hoops you have to go though before you can even buy it. Plus, there are all the fees you have to pay for the classes and permits, etc. Someone estimated it costs about $500-$600 to get everything you need, before you can go and buy a handgun.

Obviously, I have't bought a handgun in quite a while....don't plan on it either.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    Is that new or used? I used to see them on sale at Gander Mountain a few years ago and even at their prices I thought about getting one for a truck gun.

New... Reason for going back this morning and getting one.

Guns Network Contributor 03/2015 jakebrake's Avatar

does apex make a trigger for it?

Quote Originally Posted by jakebrake View Post
    does apex make a trigger for it?
    There is a number of upgrades for it. I was reading a few sights and watched a couple youtube vids. Its apparently pretty easy to make these good shooters. I look forward to holstering this one at the club. It is cheap enough that I will be holstering it. Where i have avoided doing so with my other pistols for fear of marking up the finish.

So first range report. I didnt take any pics. But it shoots as I expected it to. Its no target pistol but it is well within what a self defence pistol should be. Trigger has a long hard pull but it breaks clean. Overall I am satisfied. I put a 50 round box of S&B through it. No failures.

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    There is a way to improve the trigger by removing a spring (which was only added to settle a lawsuit with Glock)

I had one I got for $140 OTD. It led to the only time I've ever had an ATF agent looking for me. Turns out the woman I sold it to (on Armslist) was a straw buyer for shitheads in NJ

You had her info....right?

be the heat..

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    You had her info....right?
    In PA handguns have to be transferred by a dealer, so they had the 4473 and PA pistol form.

Good they can tag her.
    I sold a .45 to my buddy across the street a few years ago and a couple years after that
    I got a call from a Fla. detective. He wanted to know how the pistol got from Ga. to Fla.,
    I just gave him the name and phone number of who I had sold it to.

Seems my buddy had sold it to a girl in Fla. who had a felon boyfriend and she had forgotten to
    remove it before she let the felon drive the car.

be the heat..

It's always good to keep the info of who you sold a gun to. The gun shop my friend runs has had RCMP come in looking for info on guns he sold in the late 90s. Thankfully he kept all records

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post

let us know if it works
    Just past the 850 round mark. When I hit 1400 I will make another review. Seems like a round number because it would be about a pound of powder.

I thought I was done buying guns too until I got the Baja Bug done ... I bought it without an engine, so I bought a very sad 72 with a mystry engine, went through it, added dual carbs and headers, the generator was bad and had to replace the starter and voltage regulator ... in general a bunch more stuff than I'd planned on. I'm probably too old for such stuff, but its a bucket list thing and even if I can't go Baja-ing ... I can drive it around and enjoy it.

This bug was exactly what I wanted, the right body kit, rag-top and everything ... but it also needed a bunch more work than I'd anticipated. Its almost done for now as it runs good and is almost ready to take down for inspection to get a "highway title" ... there is a bunch more I'd like to do but for now, I'm about out of "fun money"!

Back to breaking my gun buying hiatus ... I'd stopped in a pawn shop that typically has Snap-On and other premium name tools, because over the years I've misplaced a couple wrenches and sockets and on the way to cash-out, I had to walk past the Used Gun counter ... and low and behold, there was a Glock 26. For years I've been going to pick one up and when I've found one I didn't have the cash ... or had the cash and all I could find is the 27(40S&W) ...Anyway, it was $339 ... and I thought that was a pretty good price but I had to ask "Is that your best price?"
    He said it was, but he'd throw in the tools ... which was about $30 by their prices, I said OK and he pulled out an extra mag and leather holster, this goes with it ... so I'm the proud owner of a G26!