Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My mother has cancer

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

My mother has cancer

My mother went into the hospital three days ago because of pains in her belly. Doctors thought it was her gall bladder at first and did a cat scan to see. They found cancer everywhere. Her bowel, liver and lungs. The doctor gave her 4 months. I was there beside her when the doctor told her. I had to break the news to everyone. Including my dad and her sister who lives with her. That was hard. he cried and she was hysterical for about 15 minutes. only other time i saw my dad cry was at his mothers funeral. Today i drove to her brothers house and told him. It gutted him. I thought he was going to have a heart attack. He started rubbing his left arm and sweating. I stayed with him quite a while until i was sure everything was ok. He took an Adavan and it made him better. I called him a couple hours later to make sure he was still ok. After supper i took the hour drive to my friends house to talk to him a bit and pick up my AR upper. This is the gun shop i always go to. I thought it would make me feel better. I cried the entire way there and back. He wasn't home. He is in Cape Breton at the gun show with his table. I knew that but forgot. His wife was there and gave me my upper and we talked a bit. I left because i didn't want to cry in the store. I was always very close to my mother. We are one in the same. Sense of humour, opinions on things. Everything. Im not ready to lose her. I don't know what to do. I haven't slept since it happend. I stopped in to see my mother on the way home from the gun shop. We hugged a while and cried. I told her i would bring her a tape recorder for her to record things for the kids when they are older. I am so sad and exhausted right now. I cant stop crying. Wife and kids are in bed. I am here with a bottle of famous grouse. Its helping a bit. Thinking about her funeral. I am going to have to set that up and i have no idea what to do. She told me she wants to be cremated and her ashes put in an urn and for me to keep her at my house. I am still on paternity leave until june 9. I told my sgt today. Him and the chief supportive. They want to see me on monday in the office to talk about what they are going to do with me. I cant go to sea now. I dont want to spend her last 4 months on the ship. Away from her. Only to get a message when she passes and get flown home for the funeral.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

I’m very sorry to hear that rci. I lost my mom a little over a year ago to Alzheimer’s. Spend as much time with her as you can. That’s what I did. I’ll pray for you and your family.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Sorry to hear this. Went through the same thing with my mother 35 years ago. Make the most of the time you have and leave nothing unsaid.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

i am so sad, i drank a whole bottle of famous grous and i am still sad. Hellen Keller please say somethign

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Very sorry to hear this. I lost my mom about 6 years ago and lost my dad 3 years ago. It's hard, and the hardest part is still ahead for you. But you and your family will make it. As sad as it is, it's still a part of life, even if it really sucks.

My thoughts are with you and everyone up there. This is family time and it needs to be spent with your mom.

Don't try to hide your tears, no matter where you are or who you're with. Those tears mean something because they're from the heart and full of love.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Aww shit... I'm so sorry to hear this. Don't know what to say or do that could help. But if there is anything, let me know.

-- Roger
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Quote Originally Posted by rci2950 View Post
    i am so sad, i drank a whole bottle of famous grous and i am still sad. Hellen Keller please say somethign
    I don't wish what you're going through on anyone, experienced it before.

It's a crap draw and sucks all around but you need to keep a level head and be supportive of folks around you , and don't feel ashamed or weak cause you cry or break down a little bit . Don't keep that shit bottled up.

and don't beat yourself up thinking of all the times you screwed up or how you could have done things different or better. You did what you did and the real people in your life accept and love you for who you are.
    Last edited by Helen Keller; 05-05-2018 at 05:47 AM.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

I'm very sorry to hear that. I also have parents who are old and sick.

Sorry to hear this Adam. I will pray for you and your family.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Wow man, I am very very sorry to read this. I'll be praying for you for sure.

I would advise you to try not to drink too much and to spend as much time with your mother and with your own kids as possible.

And don't ever feel any shame for expressing yourself. Human beings cry and what you're going through right now certainly warrants it.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

i am feeling better today emotionally. I was hung over all day but i went and did some things with my dad. Groceries and stuff. we had a good talk. I am figuring out how to cope with this. I am going to try and make her as comfortable as i can until the end. I appreciate everyones kind words. I really do. I wasnt in a state of mind to be posting online last night. I should have stayed off the computer. Instead of drinking i should have just taken a sleeping pill and had a good nights sleep.

It is ok. You need to get it out and we be here.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

I can't tell you how sorry I am that you are going through this. I can't think of anything else to say. It is too sad.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Sorry Sir. It's pretty hard knowing the end is near for loved ones. But you'll see them again soon enough and it will be better days.

Guns Network Contributor 01/2013 rgmcl's Avatar

So sorry to here this. Lost my dad in 99 from a brain anurysim. It's hard but you and your family will make it through it
    Prayers sent. God bless
    What part of "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED" do you not understand?

Thank you everyone for the kind words. My father is taking her for a drive today up to the valley. Were all doing as many things that she likes to do before she is too sick to do so. Last night and this morning was rough for me again. I am glad my wife is here. I have started to develop a cold. I don't want my mother to have that as well so i am going to just talk to her on the phone until it passes. I am going to take the time to get other things finished that i was neglecting.

Quote Originally Posted by rci2950 View Post
    Thank you everyone for the kind words. My father is taking her for a drive today up to the valley. Were all doing as many things that she likes to do before she is too sick to do so. Last night and this morning was rough for me again. I am glad my wife is here. I have started to develop a cold. I don't want my mother to have that as well so i am going to just talk to her on the phone until it passes. I am going to take the time to get other things finished that i was neglecting.
    I am sorry to hear that you have to face this. Both of my parents are still alive but as they get older I understand more and more that this is an eventuality for all of us. I think you have been given some great advice on here to help you through it.
    From what I have observed in others; make the best use of the time that you have left together and make sure you are able to express what she has meant to you during your life. When the time comes be there for your family and your family will be there for you. Don't be afraid to let yourself grieve, it's ok to feel the emotions you are feeling; take solace in the knowledge that they will ease with the passing of time. Someday you will see her again.

RCI - my condolences on your troubles. My prayer for your mother is that she doesn't suffer. Was she a smoker?
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 Hobe Sound AK's Avatar

Unhappy

I do understand how you are Feeling! Lost my 88 Year old Dad on 23 February. My Sister kept telling me and my Mother, it was coming, but I was so trying to hang on to my Dad for as long as I could. Finally, Congested Heart Failure, Severe Dementia, The Flu, and His Kidneys finally starting to Shut Down. I was only the way over to see him that fateful Friday Morning. I did not make it. He Died 6:30am Friday Morning. I keep, thinking about the Mike and the Mechanics 1988 Song In the Living Years. the 3rd. Verse starts with: I wasn't there that Morning, When my Father passed away! I said at his Funeral, he now walks the Aleutian Fields, finally in Peace. The Roman Word for Heaven. Aleutian. All I can say is be there, in her Final Moments, Bless your Family. Paul
    Honored Nephew, of RM2. Robert E. Truitt, CA-35, U.S.S. Indianapolis, 30-July, 1945.

In Loving Memory of CW4. Paul E. Truitt 22-September, 1929, 23-February, 2018.

In Loving Memory of Montell W. Truitt 8 March, 1933, 3 June, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    RCI - my condolences on your troubles. My prayer for your mother is that she doesn't suffer. Was she a smoker?
    No she wasn't. Thats the hard part. She didn't even drink. Thank you for the prayers. It means a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobe Sound AK View Post
    I do understand how you are Feeling! Lost my 88 Year old Dad on 23 February. My Sister kept telling me and my Mother, it was coming, but I was so trying to hang on to my Dad for as long as I could. Finally, Congested Heart Failure, Severe Dementia, The Flu, and His Kidneys finally starting to Shut Down. I was only the way over to see him that fateful Friday Morning. I did not make it. He Died 6:30am Friday Morning. I keep, thinking about the Mike and the Mechanics 1988 Song In the Living Years. the 3rd. Verse starts with: I wasn't there that Morning, When my Father passed away! I said at his Funeral, he now walks the Aleutian Fields, finally in Peace. The Roman Word for Heaven. Aleutian. All I can say is be there, in her Final Moments, Bless your Family. Paul

Yes. I plan on being there. It will be hard but it is a fact of life. I am spending as much time with her as i can now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast