Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Robert A. Heinlein interesting quote

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    Amazon. I used to buy paperback books and they just kept on taking up more and more room. I ended up filling three large boxes with my old books to store them away.

My wife has several Kindles and she gave me one of her older ones (the one with the "paper-white" screen).

At first I said "nah, I like real books", but after using the Kindle and seeing how easy it was to browse for a new book and read a sample of it before buying, then clicking the "Buy Now" button and getting the book in 10 seconds ended up being awesome.

Plus, where I was paying $19.95 or more for paperback SCI-FI books, the Kindle versions are only around 3.99 and they take up no room.

On the minus side, I start reading and only realize I've been up all night when I notice it getting light outside again.
    Yep, i was a die hard book reader too, liked to flip pages. Someone on this forum (tank monkey i think) mentioned his wife had a nook and loved it, so i bought one, My books are still in the shelf on my beds headboard but only to prop up the nook while i read it. i absolutely love the ease of buying new books, coincidentally all of the books on my headboard are by Heinlein
    I'm retired now, so i can stay up and read all night if i wanna

After Heinlein, i started on Arthur C. Clark's books ( that's where i first heard of the space elevator) and his collaboration with Stephen Baxter. Do search for " The light of other days" very topical as far as the invasion of privacy and societal effects that we are dealing with now with cameras every where tracking us as well as social media's influence on our culture
    Last edited by davepool; 05-07-2018 at 08:15 PM. Reason: sp

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    He may have pronounced it heinlen but in german when you see and I and an e together you pronounce the second letter. It should be hine-line both vowel clusters with the same sound. Germans love rules and hate to break them this goes double for pronunciation

In German his name is properly pronounced "Hine-Line".
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Quote Originally Posted by Hobe Sound AK View Post
    Have you noticed how the whole World gets his Name Wrong? he Died in 1987. His Last Name is Pronounced Heinlen! The ending Words is LEN! not LINE! Heinlein. Plus it sounds much better to say Heinlein with Len on the end of the Name. I don't know where they got the Line on his Name from. By the Way, did you read! The Green Hills of Earth? Paul

Sie liegen falsch. Im Deutschen wird sein Name ausgesprochen "Hine-Line", nicht "Hine-Len".

Dummkopf.

Die grünen Hügel der Erde? Nein, noch nicht.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Amazon. I used to buy paperback books and they just kept on taking up more and more room. I ended up filling three large boxes with my old books to store them away.

My wife has several Kindles and she gave me one of her older ones (the one with the "paper-white" screen).

At first I said "nah, I like real books", but after using the Kindle and seeing how easy it was to browse for a new book and read a sample of it before buying, then clicking the "Buy Now" button and getting the book in 10 seconds ended up being awesome.

Plus, where I was paying $19.95 or more for paperback SCI-FI books, the Kindle versions are only around 3.99 and they take up no room.

On the minus side, I start reading and only realize I've been up all night when I notice it getting light outside again.
    Funny you mention that, I was the same way Collection of bookshelves with no room to put the rest oif the books just hanging out all over in stacks.......my wife had gotten a newer Kindle so I put a new battery in her old one to see if I liked it at all......Now i have at least 30-40 books on kindle in about a year. I have to keep an eye on my clock too otherwise I don't get enough sleep to be trucking down the road every night.

I was a diehard hard book reader and thought an ebook was nothing I ever wanted anything to do with.

Then an engineer buddy loaned me his Kindle keyboard for a month.
    I quickly bought my own and it's still running.

Things I love about it are it's far easier to read with one hand while I stuff popcorn with the other.
    Also, I can eat a snack on a table without the pages turning over on their own like hardback and paperbacks do.

About the only thing I don't like is that maps and photos don't work very well.

I don't usually store books on the Kindle, I store those on my computer, and archive them on DVD's.
    I learned very early in the computer age about lost data, so I store on my PC drive, a DVD backup disk AND a DVD Archive disk.
    I'm not losing anything if I can help it.

There's a great free program called "Calibre" that's a format converter. Using it you can convert almost any format to almost any other format.
    As example I can convert a NOOK Epub or PDF to Kindle Mobi format.
    The program also allows formatting or editing the text, and making all sorts of changes.
    I use this regularly.

http://calibre-ebook.com/

Without saying too much, and leaving it strictly up to you, here's an add-on program for Calibre that does some interesting things with ebooks.

https://apprenticealf.wordpress.com/...ls-for-ebooks/

Ever read Starship Troopers ?

Excellent book. I've noticed that Heinlein uses the name "DuBois" in several of his novels... must be someone he knows (knew)?
    Yes, I have. I also still have the paperback, an 11th edition Berkley Medallion from 5/68. I have a rather extensive collection of Heinlein's books, mostly from tmy H.S. days. Several of the paperbacks were getting a little decrepit so I went to a bindery in St. Louis many years ago and had several rebound into hardbacks.

My collection includes:

Door Into Summer
    Farmer in the Sky
    The Rolling Stones
    Time For the Stars
    Methuselah's Children (see the next one)
    Time Enough For Love: The Lives of Lazarus Long
    Green Hills of Earth
    Red Planet
    Space Cadet (no comments !!)
    Starship Troopers
    Rocketship Galileo
    Orphans of the Sky
    Have Spacesuit, Will Travel
    Tunnel in the Sky
    I Will Fear No Evil
    Citizen of the Galaxy
    Stranger in a Strange Land
    and the anthology The Past Through Tomorrow.

At one time or another, I have read and enjoyed them all. Unfortunately, work and "life" has made it difficult to re-read them and the pages are getting rather "brown" and fragile. Not surprising consider that most are over 40 years old.
    Last edited by JTHunter; 05-12-2018 at 02:44 PM.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Another author (authoress) I liked to read was "Andre" Norton whose actual name was Alice Mary Norton.

BTW Krupski, have you ever read any of Zenna Henderson's books about "The People"? Or how about James Blish? I have four of his non-Star Trek books too, in addition to the numerous S.T. novelizations - Vor, Duplicated Man, Quincunx of Time, and Cities in Flight.
    Last edited by JTHunter; 05-12-2018 at 02:44 PM.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Sie liegen falsch. Im Deutschen wird sein Name ausgesprochen "Hine-Line", nicht "Hine-Len".

Dummkopf.

Die grünen Hügel der Erde? Nein, noch nicht.

Du wirst sie verwirren.

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    Yes, I have. I also still have the paperback, an 11th edition Berkley Medallion from 5/68. I have a rather extensive collection of Heinlein's books, mostly from tmy H.S. days. Several of the paperbacks were getting a little decrepit so I went to a bindery in St. Louis many years ago and had several rebound into hardbacks.

My collection includes:

Door Into Summer
    Farmer in the Sky
    The Rolling Stones
    Time For the Stars
    Methuselah's Children (see the next one)
    Time Enough For Love: The Lives of Lazarus Long
    Green Hills of Earth
    Red Planet
    Space Cadet (no comments !!)
    Starship Troopers
    Rocketship Galileo
    Orphans of the Sky
    Have Spacesuit, Will Travel
    Tunnel in the Sky
    I Will Fear No Evil
    Citizen of the Galaxy
    Stranger in a Strange Land
    and the anthology The Past Through Tomorrow.

At one time or another, I have read and enjoyed them all. Unfortunately, work and "life" has made it difficult to re-read them and the pages are getting rather "brown" and fragile. Not surprising consider that most are over 40 years old.
    I liked Space Cadet, kind of like a Hardy Boys in space type story...sort of.

The last book published was a compilation of letters he had written to editors and publishers along with his thoughts and opinions and general musings about life, " Grumbles From The Grave". It was put together and edited by his wife Virginia after he died. There are some good insights into the book publishing business and the bullshit editors put authors through. If you admire Heinlein, read it, good stories about his life and what an arrogant bastard he was
    Last edited by davepool; 05-13-2018 at 11:35 PM. Reason: sp

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Quote Originally Posted by dfariswheel View Post
    I was a diehard hard book reader and thought an ebook was nothing I ever wanted anything to do with.

Then an engineer buddy loaned me his Kindle keyboard for a month.
    I quickly bought my own and it's still running.

Things I love about it are it's far easier to read with one hand while I stuff popcorn with the other.
    Also, I can eat a snack on a table without the pages turning over on their own like hardback and paperbacks do.

About the only thing I don't like is that maps and photos don't work very well.

I don't usually store books on the Kindle, I store those on my computer, and archive them on DVD's.
    I learned very early in the computer age about lost data, so I store on my PC drive, a DVD backup disk AND a DVD Archive disk.
    I'm not losing anything if I can help it.

There's a great free program called "Calibre" that's a format converter. Using it you can convert almost any format to almost any other format.
    As example I can convert a NOOK Epub or PDF to Kindle Mobi format.
    The program also allows formatting or editing the text, and making all sorts of changes.
    I use this regularly.

http://calibre-ebook.com/

Without saying too much, and leaving it strictly up to you, here's an add-on program for Calibre that does some interesting things with ebooks.

https://apprenticealf.wordpress.com/...ls-for-ebooks/
    What happens if we get hit with an intentional EMP or a sun based one?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12