Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Robert A. Heinlein interesting quote

Robert A. Heinlein interesting quote

I'm currently reading Robert Heinlein's book "Revolt in 2100" and stumbled upon a very interesting and true quote:

Quote Originally Posted by Robert A. Heinlein's Revolt in 2100
    “For the first time in my life, I was reading things which had not been approved by the Prophet's censors, and the impact on my mind was devastating. Sometimes I would glance over my shoulder to see who was watching me, frightened in spite of myself. I began to sense faintly that secrecy is the keystone of all tyranny. Not force, but secrecy...censorship. When any government, or any church for that matter, undertakes to say to it's subjects, This you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden to know, the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the motives. Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked, contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything---you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.”

Many of his novels have a taste of "revolt against the system" in them (which I find fascinating - on top of the excellent science fiction itself). Mr. Heinlein seems to have seen quite clearly what today's times would be like... and what needs to be done about it.

One also needs to be old enough to understand the "1950's slang" that is meaningless (or means something different) to younger people.

Oh well, back to the Kindle. Gotta read some more.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

The difference from science fiction to science fact is only time.

Quote Originally Posted by whiskeyman View Post
    The difference from science fiction to science fact is only time.
    Very true. Pretty much every item of technology we take for granted today was dreamed of in a novel before technology caught up to imagination.

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

Heinlein has several quotes from his books that apply today, among my favorites:

"An armed society, is a polite society"

" America has become place where actors and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance" (paraphrased)

I have read most of his books, must have missed this one ( or am getting old and senile and forgot i read it, the quote does sound familiar now that i think about it), did you download it from amazon or barnes and noble
    Last edited by davepool; 05-05-2018 at 01:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Viking350 View Post
    Very true. Pretty much every item of technology we take for granted today was dreamed of in a novel before technology caught up to imagination.
    True. One of Heinlein's books was about a national transportation system similar to the Hyper Loop that is being developed now.

I guess this shows my age, but I remember that the hippies loved Heinleins's Stranger in a Strange Land as demonstrated by the use of the words "water brothers" in a David Crosby song Triad (also covered by Jefferson Airplane). It's been so long since I read it, I can't remember the plot. However, the fact that the hippies loved the book suggests it was more about promoting communism and attacking American society than attacking authority.

IMHO the best science fiction writer of all time was Jack Vance. In particular the Demon Princes Novels. The best Science Fiction novel of all time was Frank Herbert's Dune. However, the Dune sequels pretty much sucked as did the movie version of Dune.

Quote Originally Posted by jet3534 View Post
    I guess this shows my age, but I remember that the hippies loved Heinleins's Stranger in a Strange Land as demonstrated by the use of the words "water brothers" in a David Crosby song Triad (also covered by Jefferson Airplane). It's been so long since I read it, I can't remember the plot. However, the fact that the hippies loved the book suggests it was more about promoting communism and attacking American society than attacking authority.

IMHO the best science fiction writer of all time was Jack Vance. In particular the Demon Princes Novels. The best Science Fiction novel of all time was Frank Herbert's Dune. However, the Dune sequels pretty much sucked as did the movie version of Dune.
    One of the premises in the book was that sex with multiple partners was ok and looked on as acceptible, which the "free love" generation glomed onto. Heinlein had a pretty libertarian view of sexual relations. I don't recall any commie shit or attacking america, Heinlein was big on the individual freedom to do as you please, BUT with the strong understanding that you are responsible for the effects of your actions

Quote Originally Posted by davepool View Post
    One of the premises in the book was that sex with multiple partners was ok and looked on as acceptible, which the "free love" generation glomed onto. Heinlein had a pretty libertarian view of sexual relations. I don't recall any commie shit or attacking america, Heinlein was big on the individual freedom to do as you please, BUT with the strong understanding that you are responsible for the effects of your actions
    The advocacy of "free love" would explain why the hippies liked Heinlein. I am not old enough to have had a great deal of exposure to real hippies, although I did attend Woodstock. I do recall that back in the day a lot of hippies seemed to be overly preoccupied with "crabs" and Blue Star Ointment. Probably as a result of too much "free love."

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

I think after Asimov, Heinlein is my next favorite.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 Hobe Sound AK's Avatar

Exclamation

Have you noticed how the whole World gets his Name Wrong? he Died in 1987. His Last Name is Pronounced Heinlen! The ending Words is LEN! not LINE! Heinlein. Plus it sounds much better to say Heinlein with Len on the end of the Name. I don't know where they got the Line on his Name from. By the Way, did you read! The Green Hills of Earth? Paul
    Honored Nephew, of RM2. Robert E. Truitt, CA-35, U.S.S. Indianapolis, 30-July, 1945.

In Loving Memory of CW4. Paul E. Truitt 22-September, 1929, 23-February, 2018.

In Loving Memory of Montell W. Truitt 8 March, 1933, 3 June, 2021

Heinlein got me started on Sci-Fi at a very young age with "Have Spacesuit, Will Travel".
    Some of his best work was his juvenile books.

He was a medically retired at an early gage Naval officer, engineer, and scientist. His wife was also an engineer.

He wrote a late book with his quotes, such as "Always store beer in a dark place", "Never drink to excess, it may cause you to shoot at tax collectors...and miss", and "Never threaten a small man. You'll frighten him and he'll kill you".

In his later books he was very much into stories involving group marriages.

Still in all, he really was the Dean of Sci-Fi writers and as one critic said, "Unlike most writers Heinlein's worlds were so real you could hear the water flowing through the pipes".

One of his most interesting books is non-fiction. "Tramp Royale" is a true account of him and his wife taking a world tour.
    Some of the world seems to have changed little, some much, but it's an extremely interesting read of a by-gone era.

Much of his work is still what other authors are compared against, such as "Starship Troopers".
    He's very much missed.

Quote Originally Posted by dfariswheel View Post
    Heinlein got me started on Sci-Fi at a very young age with "Have Spacesuit, Will Travel".
    Some of his best work was his juvenile books.

He was a medically retired at an early gage Naval officer, engineer, and scientist. His wife was also an engineer.

He wrote a late book with his quotes, such as "Always store beer in a dark place", "Never drink to excess, it may cause you to shoot at tax collectors...and miss", and "Never threaten a small man. You'll frighten him and he'll kill you".

In his later books he was very much into stories involving group marriages.

Still in all, he really was the Dean of Sci-Fi writers and as one critic said, "Unlike most writers Heinlein's worlds were so real you could hear the water flowing through the pipes".

One of his most interesting books is non-fiction. "Tramp Royale" is a true account of him and his wife taking a world tour.
    Some of the world seems to have changed little, some much, but it's an extremely interesting read of a by-gone era.

Much of his work is still what other authors are compared against, such as "Starship Troopers".
    He's very much missed.
    He was one of my favorites I really liked stranger in a strange land and the moon is a harsh mistress

Remember "Lazarus Long" (aka Woodrow Wilson Smith) ans "Methusalah's Children"?
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Quote Originally Posted by davepool View Post
    Heinlein has several quotes from his books that apply today, among my favorites:

"An armed society, is a polite society"

" America has become place where actors and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance" (paraphrased)

I have read most of his books, must have missed this one ( or am getting old and senile and forgot i read it, the quote does sound familiar now that i think about it), did you download it from amazon or barnes and noble

Amazon. I used to buy paperback books and they just kept on taking up more and more room. I ended up filling three large boxes with my old books to store them away.

My wife has several Kindles and she gave me one of her older ones (the one with the "paper-white" screen).

At first I said "nah, I like real books", but after using the Kindle and seeing how easy it was to browse for a new book and read a sample of it before buying, then clicking the "Buy Now" button and getting the book in 10 seconds ended up being awesome.

Plus, where I was paying $19.95 or more for paperback SCI-FI books, the Kindle versions are only around 3.99 and they take up no room.

On the minus side, I start reading and only realize I've been up all night when I notice it getting light outside again.

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post

The Lazarus Long quotes are great. I like the one "Get a shot off fast. This upsets him long enough to make your second shot perfect.

I just finished Methuselah's Children a few days ago. It was pretty good. I also liked The Door Into Summer (where Heinlein is an inventor partnered with another guy and a girl and they both swindle him by drugging him then forcing him into a "long sleep" of 30 years). He wakes up in the future and finds that the two business partners stole all his work and money and marketed the products he invented.

Then he finds a "scientist" that is able to send him back in time 30 years and he gets back to the time he came from, then goes around fucking up all his partner's plans to rip him off.

When he gets back to the future, he meets up with his partners and finds them broke and destitute and they wonder how he "did it" (defeated their plan to screw him).

Sort of a corny story, but easy to read and fun too.

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post

Ever read Starship Troopers ?

Excellent book. I've noticed that Heinlein uses the name "DuBois" in several of his novels... must be someone he knows (knew)?

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

I overlook Heinlein for too long and need top read some his books.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Also don't forget the stainless steel rat series, or Flandry of Terra.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    Amazon. I used to buy paperback books and they just kept on taking up more and more room. I ended up filling three large boxes with my old books to store them away.

My wife has several Kindles and she gave me one of her older ones (the one with the "paper-white" screen).

At first I said "nah, I like real books", but after using the Kindle and seeing how easy it was to browse for a new book and read a sample of it before buying, then clicking the "Buy Now" button and getting the book in 10 seconds ended up being awesome.

Plus, where I was paying $19.95 or more for paperback SCI-FI books, the Kindle versions are only around 3.99 and they take up no room.

On the minus side, I start reading and only realize I've been up all night when I notice it getting light outside again.
    I have to 100% totally agree with everything you say. All of my reading is now via Kindle. I only buy a real book when it is something my wife wants.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobe Sound AK View Post
    Have you noticed how the whole World gets his Name Wrong? he Died in 1987. His Last Name is Pronounced Heinlen! The ending Words is LEN! not LINE! Heinlein. Plus it sounds much better to say Heinlein with Len on the end of the Name. I don't know where they got the Line on his Name from. By the Way, did you read! The Green Hills of Earth? Paul
    He may have pronounced it heinlen but in german when you see and I and an e together you pronounce the second letter. It should be hine-line both vowel clusters with the same sound. Germans love rules and hate to break them this goes double for pronunciation

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast