Thread: Chain hoist mount question.

Chain hoist mount question.

I need to hang a section of tubing to a ceiling for use with a light weight chain hoist.

The tubing will be 7 feet long and mounted at each end. I can't have a center mount support on the tubing because the hoist will need to be slid over the tubing to reposition for another lift.

This will be to lift a light load of no more then 180 pounds and no load will ever be made anywhere except at each end where the mounts are, never in the middle.
    I'll use the hoist only to lift a MAXIMUM of 180 pounds on the ends. The hoist will be slid over the tubing unloaded to reposition at the other end before lifting anything.

I'd like to use heavy wall aluminum tubing due to rusting issues.

Question is, what is the recommended size of tubing to prevent bending of the tube?
    I can get 1 inch, 1 1/4 inch, and 1 1/2 inch T6061 T6 tubing with wall thickness of 0.25".

What's my best choice?

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    I did a search on line, and there's formulas for finding load strength...complicated formulas for the middle of a span. It says wall thickness is as or more important than size. Seeing as how you are only go with a load next to the mounts, deflection shouldn't be much of a problem. With 0.25 inch sidewalls, I'd go with the 1 ½ tubing, in case you ever needed to lift a light load more towards the center.

ETA--This is talking about square aluminum tubing, not round tubing.
    Last edited by N/A; 05-23-2018 at 05:44 PM.
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

I know what you're planning but I'm still gonna tell you this.
    In my garage (BEFORE I purchased the property) the owner had a steel I beam with the mounts running through holes cut through the "I" part so the sliding hoist could move unhindered.

That's all.

BISHOP

If square is stronger, how about rectangular aluminum tubing that's 1 inch wide, 3 inches tall, and .125 wall thickness.

The only concern I'd have with square or rectangular is how easily the hoist would slide over the bar.
    I can get this size with radiused corners and a square "U" bolt that would fit over the tube for the hoist to mount to.
    That might slide easily.

Any input ??

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    Well, 3 inch high would make it stronger, but dropping the wall thickness from ¼ inch to ⅛ inch would make it to flimsy to resist twisting. Go to slide the hoist from one side to another and it might twist on you as you near the middle.
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

Thanks for the advice.

Unless I can find heavy wall rectangular I'll probably have to go with 1 1/2 round ridged.