Thread: D.H. Russel Grohmann Knives

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

D.H. Russel Grohmann Knives

So I took my mother out for a drive today to Pictou Landing. It is an old town, very scenic and nice restaurants etc. It was a nice drive. She had a good time, We had lunch and I stopped in to the Grohmann factory. Cant pass up an opportunity like that. Its only about an hour away from my house but i dont get down that way too often. Last time was about 10 years ago. Anyway i picked up a couple of their factory second knives. They mark them down at a 50% discount. So i picked up a #1 belt knife and a mini folder. I already have a #3 Canadian Army, that I like a lot. The #1 was the original and specifically designed for field dressing animals. Cost me about $110 Canadian out the door. The blemishes on their seconds are very slight. Usually it is something to do with the handles. I got to take my pick of the bunch and these two are just about perfect. The color on the scales is a tad off. This was enough to cause them to be seconds. Anyway here are a few pics. I already ran them both over my strop and they are shaving sharp.

Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Interesting and unique design. Don't believe I've heard much about them before but I may have seen one at some point as they are very distinct in appearance. Thanks for sharing.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

The guy who started the factory was a czech immigrant that came here after ww2 ended. In the early 1950s he made a number of prototypes and gave them out to hunters and trappers to use and provide him feedback. This end design is from the feedback he received. Every weird angle on that handle and blade has a purpose. It is very comfortable in the hand. The blade steel is a european stainless that is comparable to 440C. My #3 holds a fine edge even after processing a number of deer. Most at one time was three deer without hitting a stone or strop. I imagine this one will be the same. The handle on the #1 is a bit more comfortable but not as rugged as the #3.

Here is the new #1 next to my well used #3

delete hypejar account
    Last edited by rci2950; 05-24-2018 at 07:43 PM.

I may have to add one of these to my collection. Did a little research and I've seen their stainless listed as being comparable to 440A, 440C and 420HC. I'm a big fan of 440C in general and the 420HC as Buck heat treats it. As far as 440A goes I'm good with it for smaller slip joints.

I particularly like the model in the second photo in the article linked below.

https://www.chuckhawks.com/grohmann_outdoor_knives.html
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

The #4 is a pretty nice knife. It's popular for line handling work on the ships. I don't think you would be dissapointed with that one. Check their website for 50% off clearance deals. They usually have examples of all the models marked down due to imperfections. I might also be making another run to the factory in a month or so. It wouldn't be a problem for me to dig through the seconds bin and find one that is just a color issue or something minimal like that. But if you are buying it for collection it might be more satisfying to get the properly QC passed one. They are a work of art.
    Last edited by rci2950; 05-26-2018 at 01:59 AM.

Thanks. I'm finding them here in the states fur just under $100 with free shipping. I was looking through their folders and they have one that looks exactly like a Buck 110 except for the blade shape. I might get one of those just to compare. The Grohmann line in general really is interesting and unique.

It looks like the offer stag handles on some of their models as well as flat or saber grinds and high carbon or stainless steel. Their prices for some of the options seem a bit high but I like that you can kinda custom order your blade. I'm thinking that #4 would be nice with stag scales and a flat ground, high carbon blade.

Again, thanks for posting about these knives. Always nice to learn about other knives from other countries especially from folks who live there and use them.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

So i went back today because i was kinda bored, Took a few pics of the place for you and brought home another treasure. This time the full size folding hunter. It is a beauty. It was 50% off because of a blemish on the wood that i cant see. I asked the woman at the counter and she just shrugged. Anyway here are some pics. Thats my beat up white ford in front of the place. Last pic is the one i just brought home between the number one and small folder. I also included a pic of the one you want. Prices are in canadian of course. You can click the pics to make them bigger.