Thread: Gun friendly countries

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Question Gun friendly countries

Short of bribery in some African/Third World shithole are they any countries that allow ownership of firearms, in particular full auto that are better than the USA? Was just wondering if I could retire to some place, even just for part of each year where I could acquire and enjoy relatively cheap full auto firearms?

I'm sure in some of the afore referenced shitholes you could bribe the local militia/Army commandant with some scotch and greebacks for the extended loan of some belt feds but you'd probably need them more for protection than recreation. Just wondering if we have it here as good as it gets? Steven help me out here with your Google-foo!
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Wasn’t there a member, here, before the big crash who lived on some island country that allowed machine guns but not handguns? He was going on a trip somewhere but never came back. I can’t remember his name or where he lived....
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

I kinda recall a member that fits that description but don't remember the name or country.

We were talking the other day about how Americans retire to Mexico or Central America where their pensions, etc., will allow them to live fairly well compared to staying here. Obviously lower housing costs could be the upside to lower quality healthcare or potable water, etc.

Anyway it got me to wondering if there was a country that would be really good for those of us that are into guns, shooting, full auto....

Saw a documentary once about some billionaire in Russia that hung out with a lot of Spetnaz personnel and they showed an AN-94 they had given him. As a billionaire in Russia hanging with Special Forces he probably has some kind of special permit so to speak. I'm sure there are places, at least on a local level where you could make friends with the local police chief or mayor and work something out.

In some of my old Gun Digests there is an American guy who's lived and raised a family in Nicaragua. Over the years in several articles he's talked abut being buddies with a high ranking general in the Army and how that General asked him to go through a barrel full of S&W 1917 revolvers and salvage what he could. In exchange for his efforts he could pick one for himself. I imagine the General approved any paperwork required. Not access to full auto stuff but you get my drift.

I wouldn't live in a shithole just because I could own tons of cheap full autos. Ok, well maybe I would but not all year round.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Check out the sub-Saharan countries in Africa. There are LOT of full auto guns there but you run the risk of ebola, malaria, AIDS, ethnic cleansing groups like Boko Haram, etc.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

None that I am ware of. Be content with semi autos or dig really deep to get a transferable NFA weapon.

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

My sister-in-law and her husband moved to costa rica to stretch their retirement dollars, not sure where exactly but nice view of the gulf from their patio. They lasted about 10 years before giving up and moving back to traverse city MI. All she would say about it was that it had gotten to dangerous for American expatriates, they lived in a gated enclave with others like them and had to pay a security company for protection. I guess kidnapping rich foreigners is a hobby for some folks down there

I never asked them about the gun laws, they were obama voters