Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Negligent Discharge by Off-Duty FBI Agent at Denver Nightclub

Negligent Discharge by Off-Duty FBI Agent at Denver Nightclub

The attorney for the victim who was wounded when an off-duty FBI officer allegedly shot him after dropping his gun on the dance floor of a Denver bar during a back flip gone awry said his client remains “pretty seriously hurt” but hopes the agent doesn’t lose his job.

“I feel sorry for the agent,” said Denver attorney Frank Azar. “That’s got to be a terrible thing to have to happen. People make mistakes. I hope he doesn’t lose his job, and my client hopes he doesn’t lose his job.”

Azar admitted he didn’t think the FBI agent should have been dancing with a loaded gun.

When The Denver Post asked the National Press Office for the Federal Bureau of Investigation to provide information about the Bureau’s gun-carrying policies and to provide the name of the agent in question, the office refused comment.

Azar’s client, who he didn’t name for privacy reasons, was hit by the agent’s bullet, striking the anterior tibial artery in the victim’s leg.

“He’s still bleeding,” Azar said, noting his client was out of the hospital. “He’s on crutches. He’s in a lot of pain, and he’s still in shock.”
    https://www.denverpost.com/2018/06/0...victim-update/

"That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

I would love to hear his explanation to his supervisor!

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

What was he doing in a club with his gun? are you allowed to CC in a drinking establishment?
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Apparently it WAS a "gun free zone" (no firearms allowed), but I'm pretty sure law enforcement is exempt.

I'm not sure whether him being "off-duty" has any bearing...

Victim already has a lawyer, so I'm assuming someone is going to get sued. Doubt the club is going to be liable though...
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

I'm pretty sure that this guy is about to be a former FBI agent. Also, something tells me that he was probably pretty buzzed; chances are that if he was at a nightclub and doing backflips, then he was probably drinking.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LAGC View Post
    Apparently it WAS a "gun free zone" (no firearms allowed), but I'm pretty sure law enforcement is exempt.

A law enforcement officer may be off duty, but he is always "on call," so he/she is allowed to carry their gun wherever they go, in uniform or not. Being a Federal Agent, his authority to carry, probably, trumps any lesser jurisdiction's authority.

p.s. Some states don't have any laws concerning CCW's in bars, etc. If not, then the local jurisdiction, or individual establishment can restrict them in bars if they wish.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    I'm pretty sure that this guy is about to be a former FBI agent. Also, something tells me that he was probably pretty buzzed; chances are that if he was at a nightclub and doing backflips, then he was probably drinking.
    Drunk for sure as evidenced by the poor judgement to pull such a fucking stupid stunt, obviously the pistol wasn't "drop safe", any mention of the manufacturer of the gun

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by davepool View Post
    Drunk for sure as evidenced by the poor judgement to pull such a fucking stupid stunt, obviously the pistol wasn't "drop safe", any mention of the manufacturer of the gun
    The gun didn’t discharge until he grasped it, obviously he put his finger on the trigger when he tried to pick it up.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Quote Originally Posted by LAGC View Post

Victim already has a lawyer, so I'm assuming someone is going to get sued. Doubt the club is going to be liable though...

Nor will the fed. The only blame will go to the manufacturer of the pistol... for "making and selling a dangerous device".
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post

Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    The gun didn’t discharge until he grasped it, obviously he put his finger on the trigger when he tried to pick it up.
    Exactly. He stuck his finger in the trigger guard when he grabbed it. Didn't have a holster either.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

This guy needs to be sued
    Last edited by davepool; 06-06-2018 at 07:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    Exactly. He stuck his finger in the trigger guard when he grabbed it. Didn't have a holster either.
    So, off duty agents carry their pistols "gangsta" style when their out drinking in a bar? Nice to know

Oops, didn't see that

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 T2K's Avatar

Back flip on the dance floor while carrying in your waistband...? And this guy is an FBI (was?) agent!

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

FBI agent who accidentally fired gun while dancing charged with assault

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/06/12...lt-charge.html

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

I was wrong. The agent did have a holster, probably an SOB design of some type.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by T2K View Post
    Back flip on the dance floor while carrying in your waistband...? And this guy is an FBI (was?) agent!
    Come on. You're talking about the country that elected a gay moslom to live in the white house with his husband. You're talking about the fbi that exonerated killary before they investigated killary on a slam dunk case. You're talking about the government agency that hired Lon Horiuchi.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

A law enforcement officer may be off duty, but he is always "on call," so he/she is allowed to carry their gun wherever they go, in uniform or not. Being a Federal Agent, his authority to carry, probably, trumps any lesser jurisdiction's authority.

p.s. Some states don't have any laws concerning CCW's in bars, etc. If not, then the local jurisdiction, or individual establishment can restrict them in bars if they wish.
    I believe FBI agents may be required to always be armed. I once dated a woman whose cousin was an FBI agent and he had to carry a handgun all the time, even had to carry when being married.

Quote Originally Posted by jet3534 View Post
    I believe FBI agents may be required to always be armed. I once dated a woman whose cousin was an FBI agent and he had to carry a handgun all the time, even had to carry when being married.
    " If anyone present has any objections to this marriage, speak now or forever hold your peace"

The groom packing would make make quick work of any objectors

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast