Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rock Island Ultra FS

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Question Rock Island Ultra FS

Since I've got a plethora of rewards points at Sportsmans Warehouse I'm looking at either of these for $305.00 OTD.

http://armscor.com/firearms/ria/rock...-ultra-fs-9mm/

http://armscor.com/firearms/ria/rock...ultra-fs-10mm/

The 10mm is appealing since I've got two revolvers and a G29 in this caliber but I've been wanting a 9mm 1911 for a long time. Coworker has the 10mm and loves it. I checked it out and was quite impressed with the features, fit and finish. Seemed like a very good value.

I'm thinking for three bills why not?
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

It looks pretty good and it sounds like you are getting a great discount. Sound's like a no-brainer to me.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

WOW, Rock Island is starting to look like a high-end pistol.

BISHOP

Right after I started this thread I was telling my wife about it and she said, "Let's go get it!" Ran out to SW and brought home the 9mm. Cleaned it up last night and it looks quite nice. It only comes with one mag which I think is a crock. Any pistol should at least have two mags.

I'll post some pics tonight. Even without my rewards points they are selling these for $499.00 in 10mm, 9mm or 45 ACP which is a heck of a deal on its own.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    Right after I started this thread I was telling my wife about it and she said, "Let's go get it!" Ran out to SW and brought home the 9mm. Cleaned it up last night and it looks quite nice. It only comes with one mag which I think is a crock. Any pistol should at least have two mags.

I'll post some pics tonight. Even without my rewards points they are selling these for $499.00 in 10mm, 9mm or 45 ACP which is a heck of a deal on its own.

I have a kimber 9mm 1911. I think you will like it. I have had a lot of fun with the platform in that caliber. I love the sights they threw on yours I am considering putting a FO front sight on mine.

And I am jealous because you don't have front cocking serrations which I hate.

Let us know how she shoots. I have been using chip mccormick 10 round xp mags.

Not a fan of those front serrations either which was a selling point for me with this pistol. I just don't press check that way.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

I want at least two if not three more mags. I've seen owners comment favorably on ACT mags, MecGar, CMC, Metalform and of course Wilson Combat. I haven't found any CMC mags in 9mm. Most places are out of stock on the MecGar which is what came with my pistol.

Others have stated theirs, purchased awhile back came with ACT mag so perhaps Armscor/RI changes mag suppliers from time to time.

I'm tempted to just get 3 of these and figure I'm good for range and defense/carry if I decide to do that.

http://gregcotellc.com/cart/1911-wil...se-p-1176.html

Anyone know a place that has these any cheaper? Greg Cτte usually has about the best prices and his shipping has been super fast in the past.

Update: Decided to go ahead and order three of the WC mags. Dillon had them for $1 less than GC however their shipping was $13.99 compared to $6.95 for GC. I believe I'll be happy with them. As an aside I've got some 10rd Chip McCormick Shooting Star mags for my 45 ACP Colt GM and love them but unless my googlefoo is weak I couldn't find any CMC mags any place in 9mm. Everything was 45 ACP.
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 06-15-2018 at 08:00 PM.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

I don't see these on chips website but I have 5 of them and they work awesome in my kimber.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/25...tainless-steel

Link isn't working.

I did find the on Midways site. They're $2 more than the Wilsons I ordered but I'll keep them in mind if the Wilsons don't work 100%
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 06-15-2018 at 09:42 PM.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    Link isn't working
    Works for me, search for their 9mm xp mag

Figured I better get a pic posted. Don't know if these are still on sale but if they are I'm telling you $499 is a heck of a deal!

USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

so whad you get

got my used ria full size 45 last month for 300.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Ultra FS in 9x19.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

since you have a smooth front strap like I did, try throwing one of these on there. I love mine....

https://talongungrips.com/grips/1911/front-strap.html

also, I ditched the FLGR on mine. I go GI all the way.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

I want a 10mm.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

i want a pony
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    i want a pony
    A baloney pony?
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    since you have a smooth front strap like I did, try throwing one of these on there. I love mine....

https://talongungrips.com/grips/1911/front-strap.html

also, I ditched the FLGR on mine. I go GI all the way.
    So what's the deal on FLGR? I realize the original design did/doesn't use one however, I see about as many owners liking them as not liking them. Kind of like the collet bushing or solid. With regards to the collet bushing my Series 80 GM has one and after 30+ years and a to be honest maybe 2,000rds, it's never failed though I understand how it might compared to a solid bushing. Is the FLGR similar in so much as it's the solution to a problem that didn't exist or just not true to the original design?
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

This video might help to understand. Also, with lighter calibers like the 9mm or .38 Super it would seem a better idea to use the G.I. guide rod to reduce friction and allow proper cycling of the slide.

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

For me, with the FLGR, everything I have read about it says their is either no, or marginal benefit to it and it complicates take down, plus I like the old school look of not having one hanging out under the barrel when the slide is locked back so I toss them and replace with GI style. On my kimber I also threw the plastic MSH away (I don't think RIA does that) and put a beaver tail the with memory bump on there.

It looks like you already have G10 grips. I am jealous of your sights.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast