Thread: Anyone shooting .22 mag?

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Question Anyone shooting .22 mag?

Had a Ruger Single-Six convertible years ago but mostly used the .22 cylinder. At some point a store chain, the name eludes me at the moment went out of business and they had some .22 mag at clearance prices, both regular copper plated round nose and shot shells.

In that Single-Six you could tell the difference between the standard .22 and the magnums. The shot shells threw a fairly dense pattern at snake killing distances but I never shot any with it. As a plinker I finished off the lot and never bought any more as the standard .22 made more sense price wise.

I'd imagine out of a long gun the magnum gets a bigger bump than out of a handgun but except for hunting I figure most folks won't plink with it. Self defense might be an option if you're looking to carry a rimfire. Just wondering if anyone shoots one much and if so what are you shooting with it and what are you using?
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

I just bought a Kel-Tek CMR-30. Haven't shot it yet, but have about 1,000 rounds to feed it so far.

I have a Ruger Single Six Convertible and have fired a few .22 mags through that, but shot mostly regular .22 LR with it. I have a Taurus Circuit Judge with two cylinders and have fired a few though that, but the cylinder chamber walls became sticky and didn't seem to want to release the spent cartridges. Having no cleaning kit with me, I switched back to LR and continued to shoot with that one.

Years ago, I have a Savage (I think) single shot .22 Mag rifle and groundhog hunted with it. It was good out to about 150 yds. and I killed 2 hogs with it.

As soon as I get the scope I ordered for the CMG, I'm going to take it out and run it through its paces.

Other than that, I haven't shot much in .22 Mag, but I hope to change that soon.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

.22 Mag, not in 40 years probably. I used to have a Colt Peacemaker and a Colt New Frontier that had the .22 mag switch cylinders. Wish I'd of kept them.

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

my father shoots 22 mag in a ruger single six. He loves it. He also shoots 22 lr in the mag cylinder. I been telling him not to but so far nothing has gone wrong other then split casings.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Team Gunsnet Silver 02/14 - Moderator recon's Avatar

I need to get a .22 mag rifle soon.
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Original Member-July-1999!

I occasionally shoot .22 magnum out of a single six. More often out of a bolt action Savage rifle. A .22 magnum out of a handgun is like a .22 out of a rifle, just a lot more noise and blast. A .22 magnum out of a rifle is a different story and will dent spinner targets that are not marked with a .45 or 9mm handgun.

The reality is I don't have much use for a .22 magnum. I bought my Savage rifle due to groundhogs attacking some fruit trees I planted. However, I haven't seen a groundhog in years. The last couple of groundhogs were killed by my former dog, a 90 pound Chow mix rather than being shot by me so I never did get to test out a .22 magnum on one. I will say that a 9mm HST 124 +P is a great round for finishing off a groundhog that has been torn up by a dog.
    Last edited by jet3534; 06-21-2018 at 10:32 PM.

It looks like most of the guys on this forum had experience with the Ruger Single Six. I've had so many great memories at my grandfathers camp shooting the hell out of a tree stump with the Ruger Single Six when I was a kid. I own that gun today, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I have the cylinder for .22 mag rounds and I used it once about 10 years ago to kill some skunks in my yard; it worked great. However, I still think .22 lr would have done the job as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    It looks like most of the guys on this forum had experience with the Ruger Single Six. I've had so many great memories at my grandfathers camp shooting the hell out of a tree stump with the Ruger Single Six when I was a kid. I own that gun today, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I have the cylinder for .22 mag rounds and I used it once about 10 years ago to kill some skunks in my yard; it worked great. However, I still think .22 lr would have done the job as well.
    In a discussion of the Single Six, I have to add that in my experience practical accuracy for this revolver is greatly enhanced by installing the Williams Fire Sights.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Have to admit I miss my Single-Six. My wife got it for me as a gift, probably back in 1987-88. Shot it a fair amount but tastes change. I actually traded it (with her blessing) some years back for another Ruger, a stainless 22/45 with the short bull barrel. One of my guys at work had it and wanted my SS. He offered the 22/45 and $200 cash so I did the trade.

I think I came out on top and still have that 22/45. Would I do it over if I had the chance? Probably. I liked the SS but it was slow to load and unload, not a real issue for a plinker but I prefer the detachable mag of the 22/45. The SS was probably a little more accurate. Not so much by design but as I recall it was the 6.5" version so the longer sight radius was a benefit in that regard. The extra cylinder? Not a plus really as I probably shot 100 LR for every magnum I ever fired.

That said they are a nice little revolver. Saw a post on another forum the other day were a guy ran across an early SS with the flat loading gate for good money. I'd like to have one of those.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Richard - what you say about the SS being "slow" is correct. I have one as well as the Keltec PMR-30 pistol. The reason for both is that I have a 10/22, a Marlin bolt-action in .22LR, and another Marlin bolt in .22 Mag. I have considered getting the CMR-30 as those two Keltecs use the same magazines, but I haven't actively pursued one - yet. Main reason is that I'm not sure I want to use that much ammo.
    I have an AK that is only good for "crowd control" but I have a .243 with a 3-9x scope set for a 200 yd. zero. I also have (4 ea.) 30 & 50 round magazines for the 10/22 and multiple hi-cap mags for the AK. These two guns are my "outsiders" as I have no other guns chambered for those calibers. Most of my guns are "paired" like the .22s listed above. I also have a handgun and rifle chambered in .357 Magnum and I reload for them as well as the .243. Can't do that with the .22s.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Shooting a PMR30 occasionally. Been having FTF issues and just found out the one mag seats loosely. Easy fix. The pistol feels like a 9mm as far as recoil and it has a big ball of fire. Has a Grendel P30 as well, actually two of them.