Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The ACLU Supporting Our Rights Again

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    Didn't the ACLU help expand the definition of religion from the original which was closer to denomination to any acknowledgment of God or a Supreme Being? Wasn't this the start of prohibitions on Christmas and 10 Commandment displays?
    On government property.

And that's the real reason you have a beef with the ACLU, isn't it?

Because they are firm believers in Separation of Church and State, in true Jeffersonian fashion?
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LAGC View Post
    On government property.

Because they are firm believers in Separation of Church and State, in true Jeffersonian fashion?
    No, the problem we have with the ACLU is they are a communist organization whose goal is to destroy America.

No other reason needed.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    No, the problem we have with the ACLU is they are a communist organization whose goal is to destroy America.
    You keep saying that but offering no proof.

If defending the First, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, and Eighth Amendments is "communism", then sign me up!
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

You keep saying that but offering no proof.

If defending the First, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, and Eighth Amendments is "communism", then sign me up!
    You already are signed up. IF they were, truly, fighting for the rights of American citizens, then they would be defending ALL of the BoR, not just the ones that they can twist so they can do the most damage.

IF they ever start defending the 2nd, then I'll take back everything I've said about them and don't give me that bullshit about they are leaving the 2nd alone because the NRA is defending it (IF they did what their name stands for, then the NRA wouldn't have to defend it).

Until then, I stand by my accusations.

As far as I'm concerned, the ACLU IS a communist organization. Remember, a Democrat by any other name is still a communist. I'm sure the ACLU is full of Leftists/Dimocrats/Progressives/and card-carrying Communists.
    Last edited by alismith; 06-26-2018 at 09:12 PM.

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Freedom isn't free.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    My computer security system won't let go there. It says:

"This site can’t provide a secure connection

libertyunyielding.com uses an unsupported protocol.
    ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH"

Any other way to access it?

Freedom isn't free.

No need to bother. It's just the same argument as presented in the article as posted in the OP.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

On government property.

So, the same people that wrote that all men are "endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights" also believed that any mention of God was religious? They believed in the separation of Church (denomination) and State, not equating any and all mentioning of God to "religion". This was a much later expansion of the definition of the word Church and it was used, and supported by the ACLU, to circumvent the First Amendment. So, with another example, which you will ignore, the ACLU is not a champion of liberty but a purveyor of slavery, oppression, and tyranny.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    So, the same people that wrote that all men are "endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights" also believed that any mention of God was religious? They believed in the separation of Church (denomination) and State, not equating any and all mentioning of God to "religion".
    Why are you conflating issues? Upthread we were talking about Ten Commandments displays on government property.

As for any mention of God, I'm assuming you're talking about those who think "In God We Trust" shouldn't be emblazoned on our currency or "one nation, under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance..

While I agree it isn't a constitutional issue per se (and I don't think the ACLU has come out on one side or the other on that particular debate) the fact still remains that mention of God both on currency and the Pledge are rather recent developments, that didn't become "tradition" until the Red Scare of the 1950s.

Personally, it doesn't really bother me that much, but it is interesting that Christians get so triggered whenever anyone questions why God is being secularized in the name of legal tender and ginned-up patriotism when it comes to government endorsement of such mottos in official presentations.

The real meaning of "separation of church and state," was originally intended to guarantee that the Fed Gov could not demand people worship a certain way, nor have a State Religion as was done in Europe, etc. The Fed was to "separate" itself from religion altogether.

The ACLU went out of its way to make sure that "separation of church and state" applied to everything in every day life. They bastardized the intent of its original usage.

They are doing the same thing to everything they touch. Their goal is to make the Constitution meaningless, while pretending to stand behind it.

They are nothing more than Communist movement trying to minimize and negate everything we hold dear and patriotic.

Freedom isn't free.

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    The ACLU went out of its way to make sure that "separation of church and state" applied to everything in every day life.
    The only times I see them getting involved is when politicians try to erect sectarian monuments on government property, a tacit endorsement of religion. Same with X-mas displays.

No one in the ACLU has an issue with Ten Commandment displays on private property -- take it to the church, where it belongs.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123