Thread: First Luger

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Thumbs up First Luger

Found this today, pistol and one mag. Made by Mauser for Interarms around 1972. It's in .30 Luger but for $700 OTD I figured I couldn't pass it up. I see no evidence it's been fired. Finish is beautiful. The Swiss grip style is different from the usual P08's I've handled but I like it.

The crappy photos don't begin to do it justice.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Damn fine looking pistol. For $700, I'd call that a steal....
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

That is a beautiful gun!! Congratulations. In a round about way, I came into some stuff. I was helping out a friend of a friend...Long story short. I bought a bucket of pistols. I was taking the pistols out of the bucket, they were wrapped in a sock. I pulled out one, and by the look of it, I knew immediately that it was a luger. Well, worn .22 erma. My son cleaned it up and turns out its a nice shooter.

Congratulations Richard!

Thank you both. From what I can find mine was the 163rd pistol made in 1971. I believe they made 5,000 of these and 10,000 of the P08 version in 9mm
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Need a few extra mags and ammo. From what I've read the Mec-Gar mags work great. Ammo isn't too plentiful. Mostly Fiocchi 93gr. Wonder if that works ok?
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Very nice. Could the owner tell you anything about the history? This gun looks like something that might have come from the Interarm's "Ye Old Hunter" retail store which was located along the Potomac in Alexandria VA decades ago. I used to love to go into that store back in the day.

Bought it out of a local shop. It was made for Interarms by Mauser starting in 1971. They made the first ones like mine with the straight Swiss grip then changed to the P08 style grip and 9x19. From what I've read there are several variations in both calibers between grip styles and both 4" and 6" barrel lengths.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Got three MecGar mags last week from Greg Cotes LLC and CTD just got my ammo order delivered so all that's left is to find time to hit the range. Ended up getting some of the Fiocchi SP and FMJ ammo.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

That is a beautiful gun. Looks like its got a Canada legal barrel on it too. Man that would be worth a fortune here.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Quote Originally Posted by rci2950 View Post
    That is a beautiful gun. Looks like its got a Canada legal barrel on it too. Man that would be worth a fortune here.
    It's a 6". Don't you all need at least 4.25"?
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    It's a 6". Don't you all need at least 4.25"?
    I think 4.15 I can't remember. The original issue one is like a cunt hair under.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

A buddy of mine has a stainless steel Mitchell Luger he picked up a few years back for around $500.

Not especially reliable but damn it's a good looking pistol.

Luger's are just one of those pistols that have a really unique look to them. A real classic of the pistol world...a shame that no one still makes a version.
    Where are we going and why are we in this handbasket???

You can buy a new Luger in 45 ACP.

http://www.lugerman.com
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

$6975

I could buy another 1918A3 to chop to scattergun specs and another pre-89 FAL for that much.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    $6975

I could buy another 1918A3 to chop to scattergun specs and another pre-89 FAL for that much.
    That's true but I guess these are considered custom guns. If they were turning out a bunch the price would probably drop. Be kinda neat to own but like you said, I can get several other things to enjoy for the same dollars.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Looks really nice. Looking at it I thought it might be form the 1970's I see in one of your posts you state as much. The Luger type action takes a lot of force to make it cycle properly, at least that is the way of the 9 mm versions. They need +P level ammo (the 9's) to make them cycle reliably, standard power ammo stovepipes.