Thread: US Army WWII Uniform recognition help please

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 T2K's Avatar

US Army WWII Uniform recognition help please

This is the uniform of a relative displayed at his funeral. He served in the US Army in the Pacific in WWII, that's really all I know. He was recently flown to Washington DC by the US Army to visit the WWII memorial there.

I recognize the CIB. Can anyone identify anything else? The unit patches in the shoulders?

I see crossed rifles, which I know from US Army National Guard service to indicate an officer. Yet he was enlisted (corporal stripes). I think the things above those are the normal enlisted round branch insignia.

https://ibb.co/dzr2cJ

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    Can not see much detail on my mobile phone, buy the round patch on the left shoulder is an Army Air Corps patch. There should be a number on the pat h to designate which group, I.e. 8th group, 5th group, et cetera.
    On the right breast, just below the lapel, is a small patch with a flying bird on it. That is the "ruptured duck", which I believed signifies being discharged from the military.
    Not familiar with the patch on the right shoulder.
    I only recognize the yellow ribbon above the left pocket, but forget exactly what it signified. The others are too small on my phone to make out of sure.

ETA....the crossed rifles indicate his branch of service in the Army, I.e. Infantry, not his rank. The patch on the right shoulder usually signifies what unit you first served in combat with, and the one on the left shoulder signifies the unit you currently serve with...probably the one he was in at the time of separation.
    Last edited by N/A; 07-01-2018 at 10:45 PM.
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/AMERICAN-PA...anner=1&_rdt=1

This is the patch on the right shoulder.

The other patch looks to be the army air corps 6th air force
    Last edited by N/A; 07-01-2018 at 11:48 PM.
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

Quote Originally Posted by N/A View Post
    Not familiar with the patch on the right shoulder.
    Pacific Theater Command Patch.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

His medals and ribbons are interesting. The green and white ribbon, upper left breast by itself, is a Navy Commendation Medal. The yellow and blue ribbon on the top of the ribbon bar is the Air Force Commendation Medal. The other 4 ribbons are campaign ribbons from WWII but I cannot remember which ones. The orange medal I have not seen before but the medal with the red ribbon with white lines is an Army Good Conduct Medal. The Good Conduct Medals are only given to enlisted Soldiers, Sailors, and Marines for faithful and honorable service. The Army one, if I remember right, is given every 3 years. Thanks for sharing!
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

I am starting to think that others have put things on this uniform over the years, perhaps from another family member or members. The uniform shows a corporal in the US Army Air Force with Pacific Theater service (which aligns with the little I know of his service). The 6th Air Force patch on the left shoulder must be the unit he was with at separation since it was in the Panama Canal Zone, however the right patch indicates Pacific Theater. The "ruptured duck" over the right pocket indicates honorable discharge.

However, the crossed rifles of an infantry officer and the Combat Infantry Badge and perhaps the other ribbons / medals (like the green navy ribbon) don't really align with any of this.

Thanks for the advice so far!
    Last edited by T2K; 07-02-2018 at 09:17 AM.

Actually, in the Army the crossed rifles do not represent any rank at all. It only designates the branch of service he was in, I.e. the Infantry. That would fit quite wellwith him having a CIB also.

The Pacific Theater patch would have been the first patch he wore in combat....the Army Air Corps patch would be the unit he served in at discharge. The two units the patches represent could have been several years and 10,00 miles apart.
    I served with the 101st in Nam. I wore their patch on my right shoulder.
    When I was discharged, I served with the 2nd Armored Div. I wore their patch on my left pocket. I was 10,000 miles and a year away from Nam when discharged.

So, yes, there is nothing wrong with the crossed rifles, the Corporal stripes, the CIB, and the two patches being on his uniform.

ETA...Contrary to what Itolor64 said, the green and white ribbon is an Army Commendation medal. It is distinguished from the Navy Commendation medal by the 3 thin white stripes between the two broad white stripes. The Navy Com. only has the two broad white stripes, while the ArCom ads the 3 thin white stripes in the middle.

The medal on the orange faded ribbon appears to have crossed cannons. I haven't located it yet.
    Last edited by N/A; 07-02-2018 at 01:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by N/A View Post
    ETA...Contrary to what Itolor64 said, the green and white ribbon is an Army Commendation medal. It is distinguished from the Navy Commendation medal by the 3 thin white stripes between the two broad white stripes. The Navy Com. only has the two broad white stripes, while the ArCom ads the 3 thin white stripes in the middle.
    I am not sure that is correct. The Army Com has 5 thin white lines in the center and a slightly wider white line on each edge on a green background. The Navy Com is about the same color green background with two broad white lines about 1/8 inch inset from the edge. I took another look and am fairly positive the ribbon shown on the uniform is a Navy Com, but it would make more sense for it to be an Army Com.

What is interesting is that the actual medal for both the Army and Navy Com is the same, it is the suspension device that is different (I believe this is true for the Air Force Com as well). The Achievement medals for the different services are all different, though. Just some interesting information.
    Last edited by ltorlo64; 07-02-2018 at 02:24 PM.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

NRA Endowment Member

N/A - I was only in the SC Army NG for a few years. However, the crossed rifles on their own are the branch indicator for an infantry officer, I believe. Infantry enlisted wear crossed rifles on a small round shield right?

Like this: https://www.medalsofamerica.com/enli...All%20Products

I am pretty sure that was the case in the WWII era for the army also. On his uniform he appears to have the branch designator buttons above on the lapel. I agree he could have been infantry before AAF, he may have been transferred to AAF later.

The Navy has an awards website so the Army might as well. If they do and you have the Serial Number you should be able to get a listing of all awards earned by your relative.

NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by T2K View Post
    N/A - I was only in the SC Army NG for a few years. However, the crossed rifles on their own are the branch indicator for an infantry officer, I believe. Infantry enlisted wear crossed rifles on a small round shield right?

Like this: https://www.medalsofamerica.com/enli...All%20Products

I am pretty sure that was the case in the WWII era for the army also. On his uniform he appears to have the branch designator buttons above on the lapel. I agree he could have been infantry before AAF, he may have been transferred to AAF later.
    Having spent a lot of today searching images, I did find only a couple of "portrait" photos that showed those cross rifles on an enlisted man's jacket. The preponderance showed them on officer's jackets. So I concede the point that the round disk for EM/NCO and the crossed rifles for WO and O's.
    Maybe, they just wore them to get their pics taken and/or getting discharged. I did see the "ruptured duck" on the few EM pics.

Itorlo64...Yes, the ArCom has 5 white lines centered between 2 broad whiter lines. Looking at the photo, I just could see some thin white lines centered, and said, "Oh, that's an ArCom.", Without thinking to count the lines.
    Last edited by N/A; 07-02-2018 at 10:36 PM.