Thread: Best brand of knife

Best brand of knife

I don't have much experience with edc knives as most of mine have been of the cheap variety. Which brand and model of knife do you consider the best for edc? I'm thinking something around the $100 to $200 range.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

My favorites are Buck, Spyderco, Zero Tolerance, Benchmade. What features are you looking for?
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

I recently got a Kershaw that I am very pleased with. Like Richard said, Buck is always good.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Are you interested in a particular style of lock, back lock, frame lock, liner lock? Blade length, shape, type of steel? Are you looking to carry clipped in your pocket, left hand or right? Thumb studs, thumb hole or assisted opening?
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

IMO anything over $100 and you are getting into the collectable stuff. An $80 knife would make a teriffic edc. There is a Case Sod Buster in my pocket today. I really like it.
    Last edited by rci2950; 07-05-2018 at 06:11 AM.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

https://www.ebay.com/i/273008345978?chn=ps

I got this set for christmas, i carry the black one most of the time. they're sharp and lock up is tight.

and if I do something dumb like leave it on the bumper of my truck at a parking lot- so what. I'm not out much.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    Are you interested in a particular style of lock, back lock, frame lock, liner lock? Blade length, shape, type of steel? Are you looking to carry clipped in your pocket, left hand or right? Thumb studs, thumb hole or assisted opening?
    I've always carried a liner lock with a flipper and thumb stud, clipped in my pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by rci2950 View Post
    IMO anything over $100 and you are getting into the collectable stuff. An $80 knife would make a teriffic edc. There is a Case Sod Buster in my pocket today. I really like it.
    I used to have a sod buster jr. that I carried 40 years ago. It was a perfectly good knife.

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    https://www.ebay.com/i/273008345978?chn=ps

I got this set for christmas, i carry the black one most of the time. they're sharp and lock up is tight.

and if I do something dumb like leave it on the bumper of my truck at a parking lot- so what. I'm not out much.
    That has been my philosophy as well. I have been carrying one of these for the last five or six years. It isn't anything to show off, but it opens boxes, mail, cuts rope and string, etc. If I lose it I just go buy another one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5n0LJXralI

I have just been thinking about having a "dress" knife. Kind of like a dress pair of shoes that you only wear on special occasions.

A dress knife is a bit different than an EDC. I regularly carry anything from a $10 Opinel to a $450 CRK Sebenza. Their is nothing wrong with an inexpensive knife as long as it meets your needs but think of it like a firearm. For the majority of us a Hi-Point pistol in one or two calibers can do everything we really need it to but be that as it may, we still by more expensive firearms based on wants and desire.

There is pride in ownership. Buy what you like and enjoy. I'll give you a few options/choices shortly.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

thing about a knife is, nobody knows you got it.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 Hobe Sound AK's Avatar

Thumbs up

The beautiful British M.O.D. Sykes Fairbairn. The Greatest Commando Fighting Knife (or Dagger) ever made. This is the Knife of the SAS and SBS. The only need I would have of a folding Knife is a Pocket Knife. Sykes was British and Fairbairn was American. Before there was an SAS there was a Sykes Fairbairn. I saw several of the real British made ones on Amazon. Going to get one while I can. Being a Gun Guy, this is the only Knife I have ever cared about, that was not a Bayonet. Paul
    Honored Nephew, of RM2. Robert E. Truitt, CA-35, U.S.S. Indianapolis, 30-July, 1945.

In Loving Memory of CW4. Paul E. Truitt 22-September, 1929, 23-February, 2018.

In Loving Memory of Montell W. Truitt 8 March, 1933, 3 June, 2021

Senior Member sniper_n_training's Avatar

I've carried a Buck 290 Rush for nearly 5 years as my EDC. Great knife that might fit your needs and I believe Buck offers them in a couple different colors and the choice of serrated/non-serrated blade.

EDC I like my Benchmade knives.
    For hunting/hiking/shtf I have a few Daniel Winklers.