Thread: Police trade in Beretta 92S

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Police trade in Beretta 92S

Well I picked it up today. Only wear is some marks on the slide from the holster, a little scuff on the front grip part and the side of the trigger guard. Overall inside it is like new. zero wear, where the slide rubs the frame and the feed ramp on the barrel is like a new pistol. Rifling is perfect. I been fiddling with it here for an hour or so and it is really growing on me, I cant see the heel mag release becoming a problem. It would just be a matter of remembering where it is and not screwing up. I also picked up a couple pro mags earlier in the week for it. They are good quality. Seem like they are going to be ok. Some range time will tell me for sure. overall very happy.

Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Nice!

Most of the police and military turn ins were mechanically excellent, with just wear from draw practice. Love the old style grips on that puppy!!!

ENJOY!!!

A warning about magazines for Beretta 92 series, while you might get lucky with aftermarket mags, it is safer to stay with Beretta factory (PB marked), Mec-gar or MDS, both of which made factory mags for Beretta and others. In fact I have a couple of MDS mags that are marked identical to the factory markings except for the PB being replaced by MDS.

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    Nice!

Most of the police and military turn ins were mechanically excellent, with just wear from draw practice. Love the old style grips on that puppy!!!

ENJOY!!!

A warning about magazines for Beretta 92 series, while you might get lucky with aftermarket mags, it is safer to stay with Beretta factory (PB marked), Mec-gar or MDS, both of which made factory mags for Beretta and others. In fact I have a couple of MDS mags that are marked identical to the factory markings except for the PB being replaced by MDS.
    Thanks Its good to know about the mags. Wondering why thought... I picked up two "Pro Mag" brand mags and they seem to fit ok. they are slicker in and out of the gun then the original... Build quality feels about the same. Whats the issue with them?

Here is a pic of one in the gun. They are literally half the price of the beretta brand ones.

Other mags are hit and miss. I have several I was given that work just fine, but several that like to mis-feed and one that refused to hold rounds inside. It would seem to load properly, but then suddenly belch out almost all rounds. Tightening the feed lips caused them to interfere with the slide. In theory they shouldn't have, but in reality they did. That mag is now relegated to quick change drills.

Also look out for early USA military mags which at the start of the sand box war, the govt went with the cheapest manufacturer who was stupid enough to coat both the outside and the inside with a rough finish. Outside great for grabbing with slimy hands, but the inside when mixed with the dusty sand proved to be deadly. They can be fixed by sanding the inside smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    Other mags are hit and miss. I have several I was given that work just fine, but several that like to mis-feed and one that refused to hold rounds inside. It would seem to load properly, but then suddenly belch out almost all rounds. Tightening the feed lips caused them to interfere with the slide. In theory they shouldn't have, but in reality they did. That mag is now relegated to quick change drills.
    Good to know. I will keep the pro mag ones for range use. Will pick up a few real ones for....

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Looks petty good! I read somewhere that heel mag releases generally identify the gun as coming from Europe as American guns have almost always had thumb releases. Don't know if that is true, though.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    Looks petty good! I read somewhere that heel mag releases generally identify the gun as coming from Europe as American guns have almost always had thumb releases. Don't know if that is true, though.
    I heard this as well. but i think it is more a result of being the first and second generation ones. the 92 and then the 92S. The F and FS have normal mag release.

i had one of the earliest 92s imported with the heel release new in box.

I'm pretty sure I know who's safe it resides in now.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    i had one of the earliest 92s imported with the heel release new in box.

I'm pretty sure I know who's safe it resides in now.
    What was your opinion on it? Was it a good shooter? You regret selling it?

never shot it , kept it in it's oily box.

not really regret, i know it's in a good home.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Should be typical of the 92's. Enjoy!

OK so range report. The gun is very slick loading and chambering a round. The double action trigger is a little bit heavy compared to my Sig Sauer P226 but it is not horrible. Firing in single action is a treat. Trigger has very little take up and breaks cleanly. Accuracy is on par with my glock 17 and P226. No better and no worse. Sights are a little small but in a combat pistol i can see where this would be desirable. Overall happy.

On to the mags. I am going to need a mag loader for this one. they are not easy to stuff. Anyway the pro mag ones work fine for now. Didnt have any problems with either those or the surplus one the pistol came with. However i am going to take the advice and use the pro mags on the range until they malfunction.

Here is a couple pics. Was a wet range today. But I had a good time. Brought my father with me and he got to destroy a target with his 1911. at the end it looked like someone emptied 5 rounds of buckshot in it lol