Thread: More Legal Problems for SIG's P320

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Post More Legal Problems for SIG's P320

After today, it's all historical.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Heard about this a while back. The deputy is threading her holster onto her belt with the loaded gun in it and it discharges? Sounds like a problem but I'm not sure it's with the pistol.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    Heard about this a while back. The deputy is threading her holster onto her belt with the loaded gun in it and it discharges? Sounds like a problem but I'm not sure it's with the pistol.
    So you think this officer did something wrong removing a fully holstered pistol in a Sig branded holster at that? I call bs on that attitude. The trigger was covered. The covered trigger in a holster should be a guarantee of the safest way to handle the weapon if loaded. Never had a Glock go off while holstered. Never had a 1911 go off when holstered and removing or placing it on a belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    So you think this officer did something wrong removing a fully holstered pistol in a Sig branded holster at that? I call bs on that attitude. The trigger was covered. The covered trigger in a holster should be a guarantee of the safest way to handle the weapon if loaded. Never had a Glock go off while holstered. Never had a 1911 go off when holstered and removing or placing it on a belt.
    Exactly. How does a holstered pistol fire when you're putting the holster back on the belt? When I wore a badge and a gun the holster was attached to the belt by threading the belt through the rear flap/loop on the rear of the holster. The holster stayed on the belt, the firearm went in and out of the holster.

My "attitude" is that I see no evidence that any discharge was due to a faulty holster or firearm design. If that evidence exists please link to it. Other than this reported incident have you or anyone ever heard of a holstered handgun going off all by itself? I'm guessing you haven't. Neither have I. I presume that since there was a problem if you dropped this particular model of Sig just right it would discharge you're assuming this otherwise, impossible occurrence must be true?

Was there something lodged in her holster that impacted the trigger as she reattached the holster? If so is that a design flaw involving the pistol?
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

That's the point, it was in the holster according to the report and that is the only information we have to go on. You are supposing it was out of the holster, therefore you conclude the report is false. I take it at face value that the report is accurate. As to reports of a holstered handgun going of, yes I do recall reading of a defective holster that allowed force to be put on a trigger causing a discharge, while on the persons belt. Link to it, at over 10 years ago I doubt it can be found.

No, I'm not supposing the gun was out of the holster. I just don't see anything reported that would lead me to believe this is a firearm related problem any more than the deputy did something wrong and is lying about it.

If no one else witnessed it and they can never replicate the supposed failure well Sig offer a settlement anyway to avoid more bad though unverified publicity? Possibly and that could be what the deputy is hoping.

So perhaps one incident involving a faulty holster design from maybe a decade ago sure doesn't make this supposed occurance seem any more likely.

I'd also like to know from the linked article exactly what they mean when they say she fed the belt through the holsters first tooth? First tooth? I'd be more inclined to believe she dropped the gun and holster and it went off than it discharged while she was threading it on her belt.
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 07-20-2018 at 05:20 AM.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068