Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: California Fruit Nazi Checkpoints

Team Gunsnet Silver 02/14 - Moderator recon's Avatar

Only in Kaif! What a bunch of crap!
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Original Member-July-1999!

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    Ironic, isn't it, that CA cares more about a Fruit fly invasion than an illegal immigrant invasion? Ones destroys money while the other siphons it off. Same results, two different vectors and two different government approaches.
    One is the Dept of Agriculture. The OTHER is the state Legislature and Dept of Justice. Two different groups buddy. That Agricultural checkpoint system was established back when we were a Republican state.

Do I wish the other sectors of California's government would ENFORCE the damned border laws? Of course I do. Doesn't mean that I can't support the times when other agencies do things that make sense.

Team GunsNet Bronze 10/2014

arizona had check points for fruit in the 70s. i rememeber offering to eat 2 apples before they were confiscated. they sais as long as i didn't try to enter kalifornia i could keep them.

Quote Originally Posted by N/A View Post
    My memory is bad now days, ... didn't you move from Texas to Arizona quite a few years ago?
    Whomever it was, I remember they road a Kawasaki 650?? from Texas to Arizona along the back roads, almost crossing into Mexico at one point.
    Yes that was me.

My wife was born in the Sierra's so we used to come out to vacation. In 2010 we got a smoking deal on a nice house on a few acres at 5000ft in a little town. Been here since.
    The gun laws weren't that bad, but its gotten worse, and the Trump win turned this area whacko.

Even in my little no stoplight town the political climate has gotten downright horrible against republican gun owners.
    Its surreal living here and how anyone can justify this place is beyond me.
    Californians are the worst human beings on the planet.

My house is on the market as of last week, we should be able to sell here in no time and we have already found a house on 30 acres in Boundary County Idaho so my time here is finite.

Shame to, the Sierras are an amazing place with great hunting and fishing. I liked this area...
    Last edited by ubersoldate; 08-03-2018 at 11:06 PM.

Anyone who thinks Fruit flies can fly over the border don't know shit about them. Fruitflies RARELY fly more than 100 feet away from any fruit source. They always stay CLOSE to the smell and scent of fruit. They burrow in the ground to lay eggs NEAR fruit. If you have a stretch of desert as short as a football field with no fruit on it, they wont' cross it. HOW it spreads is in infected fruit that is discarded. They'll burrow nearby and try to start a colony and look for more foodsources. Humans have an amazing capacity to have food everywhere they live and work. Once it hits any acreage for farming, that's it. California (and other states) spend a ton of effort eliminating infestations when they start
    You keep saying they burrow, then lay the eggs. So how is it I only seem to get them when I buy bananas that sit on a counter not near any dirt?

Also, when you have them in your home, get some good quality apple cider vinegar (not store brands) that have a strong smell and pour some in a small bowl. You only need a 2-3" shallow bowl and you only need to pour 1/4" to 1/2" then add in ONE drop of a dish detergent.
    Leave that out near the fruit. You need to replace it all every day. BUT that first day you could catch up to 30 within the first 3 hours.

BISHOP

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by N/A View Post
    Yup, When I drive down to visit my daughter near Tampa, right at the GA-FL border there is an agricultural checkpoint that all trucks carrying produce have to stop at. There's, usually, 4-5 trucks waiting to be inspected every time we drive through.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    I recall those checkpoints from back in the 80's. Stupid isn't new.
    Don't be shocked but those checkpoints were in effect way back in 1966. We had a travel trailer and they actually went inside to check for fresh fruit, esp. citrus. IIRC, going back from SoCal to AZ, they checked us again going BACK into AZ on our way home. Oddly enough, on a college zoology field trip in 1976, I don't recall seeing those checkpoints when we crossed from the Yuma, AZ area into SoCal, nor do I remember seeing them on our way back to the Grand Canyon.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Team GunsNet Bronze 10/2014

does hawaii still check? we had to fill out forms on the plane and leave our fruit on the plane. then some folks were asked questions by 2 cops with a beagle hound.

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    Ironic, isn't it, that CA cares more about a Fruit fly invasion than an illegal immigrant invasion? Ones destroys money while the other siphons it off. Same results, two different vectors and two different government approaches.
    I wonder what would happen if the Fruit Nazis pop your trunk and instead of finding fruit, they find an illegal alien stowed inside??
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LAGC View Post
    I wonder what would happen if the Fruit Nazis pop your trunk and instead of finding fruit, they find an illegal alien stowed inside??
    They'd close the trunk and let the car pass. (Illegal aliens are welcome; fruit flies are not.)
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12