Thread: Judge Kavanaugh

Judge Kavanaugh

Apparently Kavanaugh is not who I thought he was.

Read the wvcdl letter. It is very disturbing.

Possibly the most chilling words from Judge Kavanaugh’s pen are as follows:“As a citizen, I certainly share the goal of Police Chief Cathy Lanier to reduce and hopefully eliminate the senseless violence that has persisted for too long and harmed so many. And I greatly respect the motivation behind the D.C. gun laws at issue in this case. http://www.wvcdl.org/kavanaugh.pdf

Well I do like how he seems to be steering the focus toward the "violence" rather than the gun
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

And, the "motivation behind the D.C. guns laws," and not the laws themselves.

I'm taking it that the motivation to stop gun violence is different than the gun laws themselves.

Everyone wants to stop gun violence, but so far, all the laws have done is make it higher.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

I know conservatives have also raised other concerns, such as his ruling defending ObamaCare, which was said to be the template that Chief Justice Roberts used in casting the tie-breaking vote declaring ObamaCare constitutional.

I guess we'll just have to see if he turns out to be another David Souter (Republican-appointed liberal-in-disguise).

Could be pretty contentious confirmation hearings though. I know McConnell advised Trump NOT to pick Kavanaugh, simply because there was so much history, so many cases and decisions of his on record to review which could drag out the process.. It will be interesting to see what gets unearthed in the discovery process...
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LAGC View Post
    I know conservatives have also raised other concerns, such as his ruling defending ObamaCare, which was said to be the template that Chief Justice Roberts used in casting the tie-breaking vote declaring ObamaCare constitutional.

I guess we'll just have to see if he turns out to be another David Souter (Republican-appointed liberal-in-disguise).

Could be pretty contentious confirmation hearings though. I know McConnell advised Trump NOT to pick Kavanaugh, simply because there was so much history, so many cases and decisions of his on record to review which could drag out the process.. It will be interesting to see what gets unearthed in the discovery process...
    Let's see who puts up the most opposition to him. If the Dims, libs, leftists, and communists in our government hate him, then he can't be all bad.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    Let's see who puts up the most opposition to him. If the Dims, libs, leftists, and communists in our government hate him, then he can't be all bad.
    Well, that's how it was with Justice Souter as well. By all accounts, he seemed like a reliable conservative judge.

Then after George H.W. (Poppy) Bush appointed him to the Supreme Court in 1990, he went full lib and voted with the left-wing of the Court most of the time.

He didn't step down until 2009, waited so that President Obama (and not Bush) could replace him with another lib (the wise Latina, Sotomayor).
    Last edited by LAGC; 08-03-2018 at 11:12 AM.
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Quote Originally Posted by LAGC View Post

I don't have a good feeling about Kavanaugh -- but if confirmed I doubt that we will hear of him found beat up in a DC park as was the case with Souter -- rumored to have been found with his pants dropped in a park frequented by gay men.

What I would like to know is what has the NRA done, if anything, to vet Kavanaugh?

Judge Brett Kavanaugh Has Earned NRA Members’ Support
    https://www.nraila.org/articles/2018...embers-support
    NRA members can feel confident throwing their enthusiastic support behind President Donald Trump’s nomination of Judge Brett Kavanaugh to the U.S. Supreme Court. Throughout his time on the bench, Judge Kavanaugh has demonstrated deep respect for the Second Amendment as construed in Justice Antonin Scalia’s landmark decision in District of Columbia v. Heller.
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Jet - that PDF in your OP is disturbing.
    The question is what to do about it?
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    Jet - that PDF in your OP is disturbing.
    The question is what to do about it?
    I have been asking myself the same question. I think the only thing that can be done is to one's Senators not to confirm. However, this would of course be useless as the confirmation will be more or less 100% partisan.

To quote someone else; "God is still on the throne, and prayer changes things".
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"