Thread: Fighting a loosing battle

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Smile Fighting a loosing battle

I swore years ago I wasn't going to add any more calibers to my collection. Stayed true to this for a long time then the 10mm bug hit. Kinda got that out of my system then bam! I got bit by the .41 magnum and ended up with a S&W Model 57 and 57-1.

Haven't been in recovery from that addiction for a year yet and now I'm setting myself up to get bit again only an even bigger bug this time around. I have the opportunity to acquire a S&W Pre-29, five screw which of course is in .44 magnum. These aren't cheap, especially with the presentation case, tools, etc., as they only made like 6,500 of these starting in 1956 to maybe early 57. Not many left and even fewer that still have the extras.

I do have a Ruger SBH but I haven't shot it or bought ammo for it in close to 20 years. In fact if it wasn't for the fact that it was a gift from a friend I'd probably have sold it long ago. Been telling myself it's going to be too expensive but the reality is cost isn't really a consideration.

In the long run adding another caliber just means a new set of reloading dies and some cases and bullets but damn, I thought as we get older we're supposed to get even more set in our ways not less? Guess there are worse problems to have.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Richard, you are set in your ways. You tried to get out of your "set" when you swore no new calibers, however, you've come full circle and are back to being "set in your ways," by doing what you used to do....and that is buying guns regardless of caliber, then setting yourself up to reload those "new" calibers......

Nothing new and you can be happy to know that you are now, officially, set in your ways....

Have fun with being set in your ways...that's what it's all about.

And whether you ever shoot them or not, don't worry. It's the collecting what you like that counts.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

.429 bullets are cheap if you just want to plink, Hunting style bullets where you're pushing it almost max are a little pricey and you take the beating too.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    Richard, you are set in your ways. You tried to get out of your "set" when you swore no new calibers, however, you've come full circle and are back to being "set in your ways," by doing what you used to do....and that is buying guns regardless of caliber, then setting yourself up to reload those "new" calibers......

Nothing new and you can be happy to know that you are now, officially, set in your ways....

Have fun with being set in your ways...that's what it's all about.

And whether you ever shoot them or not, don't worry. It's the collecting what you like that counts.
    Lol, I believe you're right.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Admit it. You're an addict. It's time for YOU to make that call to the "Addiction Network". You've seen the commercials. Make the call.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

I made that same pledge years ago, and even thinned out several ... then along came the 5.7x28 ... then the 6.5 Creedmoor, but at least I re-load them.

22 short, 22LR, 22mag, 32, 357, 380, 9mm, 45acp, 5.56/223, 5.7, 6.5, 308, 8mm Mauser ... all that remains ... and no more dambit!

It was really hard to walk by a beautiful K31 Schmidt Ruben (7.5) at the first show we've had since last spring (and it was pretty big for our area), but until the doc says my bone density in back above -2.5, I doubt I should shoot it.
    Last edited by kimberkid; 09-20-2018 at 11:31 AM.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

.41 Magnum ... my favorite revolver caliber since 1977 when I picked up a cased model 57 with 8 3/8th inch barrel. Congrats Richard!