Thread: Holy Grail of K-31's

Holy Grail of K-31's

Been awhile since I had anything post worthy.. but looky what I found hiding in the back of a gun rack...

Picked up what appears to be a completely un-issued K-31. Not a single mark on her, bluing is at 100%. 0 Wear Marks Anyplace on it...

I mean, the thing looks like a damn parade rifle. I don't think it has ever been shot to be frank.

Got it for a bit under $600.00.
    "Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."
    -Nietzsche

"Accept the challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory."
    -George S. Patton

tag under the butt plate?
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

I haven't Unscrewed it yet. I am worried that I might mar the damn screw back there. No Bullshit.
    "Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."
    -Nietzsche

-George S. Patton

The bore is like a mirror.. but that is a common thing with these guns. It has a little Swiss shield on the butt-stock as well.
    -Nietzsche

-George S. Patton

I mean it could be a refinish... but if it is the guy did an unbelievable job.
    -Nietzsche

-George S. Patton

Here is the tag under the butt plate...

K-31 Tag.jpgK-31 Tag.jpg

This is way different than the last K-31 I had...
    -Nietzsche

-George S. Patton

So, I took it completely apart and found some interesting things...
    It looks the the seer has zero wear, there was still cosmo (Or something a whole lot like it) under the stock and along the barrel, with some goops of the greasy substance under the receiver. I attached some images of what I found.

This makes me think that it was blues, then coated in preservative, then placed into storage as opposed to blued by Bubba stateside.

Is it possible that this is some sort of Parade, or Guard Shack Only rifle? I mean.. it literally looks like a brand new rifle.

-Nietzsche

-George S. Patton

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Looks fantastic! The tag is not the usual issue tag. Haven't tried to translate it but I would agree this is not a standard issue rifle.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    Looks fantastic! The tag is not the usual issue tag. Haven't tried to translate it but I would agree this is not a standard issue rifle.
    Yeah, it's pretty nuts how clean this gun is. I stripped the bolt this afternoon, cleaned the goop out of it, and it looks like it has been barely cycled. It has some little patches of copper on the feedramps to show it has been shot, but they are both tiny little marks.

I have never seen a surplus rifle that was this clean. Judging from the markings it looks to have been made by Sig in 1942 and then from the little "55" on the tang behind the receiver I am guessing it was re-arsenaled in '55, put in some sort of storage depot and was not issued before they changed to the newer SIG SG 510 rifles.

It's absolutely fantastic, I could shave in the finish of this thing. The blueing is out of this world.

I was shocked to see it on a rack in a gunstore for under $600.00. I feel it is worth quite a bit more. I am not even certain that I will shoot it.
    -Nietzsche

-George S. Patton

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Unbelievable find!!!! I wonder if it was a parade or presentation rifle using blanks only.

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    Unbelievable find!!!! I wonder if it was a parade or presentation rifle using blanks only.
    Dunno, I was thinking that or it was used in the Holy See by the Swiss Gaurd.

I mostly just think it's a completely unissued re arsenaled gun. And that makes sense as the started moving to the new MBRs in 57.

Whatever it is, it's absolutely beautiful.
    -Nietzsche

-George S. Patton

Very nice rifle. Did you ask the store how and where they received the rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by El Duce View Post
    Very nice rifle. Did you ask the store how and where they received the rifle?
    I did not, it was the very last stop on a gunstore grand tour here in NM and the store was near closing.

To be frank...
    I was in shock to see it.
    I felt it was way underpriced if it was what I expected it was.
    I was worried that they would realize it was undervaluedor that it had the wrong price tag.
    I just wanted to get it home to start going through it

I had one of these back in the day, when you could score them for a note. I loved it's accuracy and handling... but it was in roughish shape and I ended up trading it in on something else. Which I grew to regret later on. Hell, there is probably a thread here.

So when I saw this one, I basically just took it to the counter and said "I'll take it" as the money flew out if my pocket.

Now I am unsure if I should keep it and shoot it, maybe in local matches (because it is easy the most accurate gun model I have ever shot)... Or don't shoot it and hold onto it for a few years and sell it when the price gets crazy.

Or put it on gun broker and try and make a profit now...

7.5 Swiss isn't exactly as easy to find as it once was.
    -Nietzsche

-George S. Patton