Thread: Remington 870 question

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Question Remington 870 question

Anyone know about when Remington changed the forearm on the 870 from the original "corncob" design with the grooves to the checkered design? Found an older 870 in a LGS and didn't get the barrel markings so was trying to figure out how old it might be?

Found this on the Remington Collectors site.

"Remington produced the Model 870 in a new deluxe grade for all field models with custom checkering and improved wood finish."

Not sure if this applies to my question or not? I do know my fathers 870 is earlier than 1963 and has the old style forearm.
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 08-19-2018 at 05:24 AM.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Here are the instructions I found online. It does require a special tool.

http://www.rem870.com/2012/11/15/rem...n-replacement/

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

Steven, I'm trying to figure out when Remington changed the design of the forearm, not change a forearm.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    Steven, I'm trying to figure out when Remington changed the design of the forearm, not change a forearm.
    In 1955, the company went magnum and started to make the 12-gauge model with a three-inch chamber. During that year, the line stuck to the big three calibers and was limited to 12, 16 and 20-gauge choices. The distinctive “corn cob” forend started to give way to the more elegantly shaped stock on Deluxe models. The corn cob stock never had a hard and fast switch over date as it was offered on police models for quite some time after. - http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...t-and-present/

Hope this helps!

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

Thanks Steven. I was looking at auctions on GB and noticed that most of the 870's with the corncob forearm were former police guns.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068