Thread: Any 10-22 pistol shooters around here (Ruger Charger)

Any 10-22 pistol shooters around here (Ruger Charger)

For years I thought a 10-22 pistol would be an awesome range toy ... Hypothetically I built one back in the late 80's (before anyone else made 10-22 receivers) then when I was hypothetically walking around a gunshow in Wichita Ks a dealer may have told me that it was illegal to do that with a rifle receiver and not have a form1 stamp from the BATF (if it had happened it would have been before the batfE)

Then Ruger came out with the Charger, I liked it but something about the green laminate pistol stock turned me off ... a couple years ago I saw a stainless one in the green laminate and another with the a black synthetic stock, so I bought them both and switched the stocks to have a stainless receiver & barrel in the black synthetic stock.

It turned out to not be as cool as I thought it would be and it sat in the safe for a couple years. A couple months ago I saw a Charger that had been SBR'd with the factory stock ... A company called Copper Custom makes an adapter that replaces the bolt cover that anchors the pistol grip adapter on one end and the other a threaded extension for an AR receiver extension to add a stock or brace, shipping and all its less than $65. I had to wait for a little over a month as they were out of stock when I found out about them

Not wanting to get any more NFA items I put on a brace SB Tacticle Brace I bought for an AR pistol build that's stalled ... I put an old Aimpoint on it and from about 20 yards I could make a shotgun shell dance ... It's the most fun I've had with a semi-auto in a while!

I know this is a rimfire but thought it would be seen by more here ... If it really needs to be moved that's ok ... Just remember, it has a black stock!
    Last edited by kimberkid; 08-23-2018 at 07:01 PM.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

I've got a Charger. Never have fired it yet. I bought a rifle stock for it and was going to cut the stock down and fill it in so it looked like a custom job, but never got around to it yet.

Actually, I don't like that it doesn't have iron sights on it. Unless it is something that I just can't live without, I refuse to buy any gun that doesn't have iron sights on it. I can always add a scope if I prefer. I hate the idea that without iron sights, if the scope is damaged, the gun is almost worthless. At least, with iron sights, you can take the scope off and it will still be serviceable.

I put a red dot sight on it, but never could get the hang of looking through it, so I haven't fired it yet.

Hopefully, one day, I'll get a pistol scope for it and get that stock made and take it out and see what it'll do.

Yours looks great and I can see where it would be a lot of fun shooting it.

Nice looking gun.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Thanks, but all I did was bolt together a couple parts ...
    I was pleasantly suprised about how solid the adapter felt, I just realized I didn't put in a link https://coppercustom.com/accessories...-brace-adapter for anyone else that might be interested in one
    Last edited by kimberkid; 08-23-2018 at 09:16 PM.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    I've got a Charger. Never have fired it yet. I bought a rifle stock for it and was going to cut the stock down and fill it in so it looked like a custom job, but never got around to it yet.

Actually, I don't like that it doesn't have iron sights on it. Unless it is something that I just can't live without, I refuse to buy any gun that doesn't have iron sights on it. I can always add a scope if I prefer. I hate the idea that without iron sights, if the scope is damaged, the gun is almost worthless. At least, with iron sights, you can take the scope off and it will still be serviceable.

I put a red dot sight on it, but never could get the hang of looking through it, so I haven't fired it yet.

Hopefully, one day, I'll get a pistol scope for it and get that stock made and take it out and see what it'll do.

Yours looks great and I can see where it would be a lot of fun shooting it.

Nice looking gun.
    If you hadn't replied I was going to point Kimber your direction. Can't believe you haven't fired that thing yet!
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    <SNIP> Can't believe you haven't fired that thing yet!
    Ditto! I usually can't wait to shoot a new gun!

Last week I was making a shotgun shell dance at about 20 yards, not sure what was going on yesterday but I could barely hit an 8" target from the same 20 yards not sure if it's the Aimpoint (it is OLD, probably close to 20 years but it has spent a lot of time on the shelf)

Last edited by kimberkid; 08-26-2018 at 11:22 AM.

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    I've had one of the originals for years. The problem is they really aren't practical for anything. Basically you can shoot it off the bench all day and get rifle accuracy out of it, but off hand it is a bit too much of a porker, and the eye relief I need for the scope prevents me from using my normal stance. It would be a pretty good poaching gun though

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    I've had one of the originals for years. The problem is they really aren't practical for anything. Basically you can shoot it off the bench all day and get rifle accuracy out of it, but off hand it is a bit too much of a porker, and the eye relief I need for the scope prevents me from using my normal stance. It would be a pretty good poaching gun though

That's the one I have. Basically, it looks kind of gay with that stock. I'm too embarrassed to take it out in public. Once I make that new stock for it, it'll look more like a "real" pistol.

I got the idea for the new stock from Crapshoot when he was posting.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars