Thread: Franklin Armory Binary Trigger, has anyone tried one?

Franklin Armory Binary Trigger, has anyone tried one?

I think this may have come around before but its been a while ...
    I've watched a few you-tubes, of installs and shooters; they're up to Gen III now with being able to switch to safe at any point in the firing process.

It seems better than bump-firing or those slidefire stocks ... while they aren't cheap ($399) its no where near full-auto prices, and you don't have to get big brother's okie-dokie to take them anywhere out of state.

I've thought about using one in my SBR'd Spikes Jack receiver (because it is different) and mainly for my Ares Defense Beltfed upper and my cmmg 22PDW ... guns that I typically run my M16 receiver in and burn ammo with anyway

For those that want to throw in their comments about safety and or burning ammo ... you aren't contributing to the thread but go ahead if you can't control yourself.

This new design, the safety rotates to the 3rd position ... the same as my M16 does for full auto. Even if you have the selector in Binary, have pulled the trigger for the first round, you can switch to safe and release the trigger and it won't fire ... it actually goes into safe mode same as any semi-auto. You can also switch to safe with the hammer in the fired (upright) position, which you can't do with the typical AR.

Lastly, the trigger is supposed to have a 4.5 pound pull.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

They sound awesome! Always struck me as a perfect way to have a built in double-tap feature. Don't have one yet. Would like to have a couple of them for the shorter range defense versions of AR I have including the pistol.

I bought the Franklin Armoury version. I loved the simple drop in version of the other one on the market, but that one needs a m-16 bolt carrier to work and this causes problem because it won’t work with a 9mm and .22 conversations.

BISHOP
    Last edited by BISHOP; 09-03-2018 at 10:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BISHOP View Post
    I bought the Franklin Armoury version. I loved the simple drop in version of the other one on the market, but that one needs a15 bolt carrier to work and this causes problem because it won’t work with a 9mm and .22 conversations.

BISHOP
    I've heard that of the FosTech Echo Binary Trigger System ... My Ares Defense Belt Fed has a propritary bolt and was afraid it wouldn't work with it and $400 I don't think I'll take a chance with it plus I've got other uppers with non standard bolts in 22LR, 5.7 & 9mm; if it's not compatible with those either I'm really not interested in it.

I've heard good things about the Echo too, reports are that its smoother and easier to install but I think it's shortfalls outweigh the benefits.

I've corrected my post to say it needs an M-16 bolt carrier.

It takes a little getting used to because having the gun fire when you release the trigger is not a natural thing.
    I have only put 2 mags through my trigger so far because of how it works and I don't have a huge back stop at my (home) range and I don't want to be spraying rds wildly into the woods.

Franklin Armoury comes with a sticker. I don't put stickers on my guns.... I'm not 5. The selector had some play in it and I didn't like that.
    I took a very thin piece of aluminum sheet metal and cut it out to the shape of the sticker and attached the sticker to that and placed that plate to the receiver like like the old 3rd burst conversions the ARMY did back in the day. The selector holds it in place and took up the play.

Original

Mine

BISHOP
    Last edited by BISHOP; 09-03-2018 at 11:33 AM.

Bishop, that looks much better than the sticker ... I don't like stickers either and decided not to put it on my Sharp's "Jack" receiver ... Thinking the SBR'd receiver is different enough and that when I rotate the lever to the Binary position I'll remember what it is, if anyone else had access to my guns I probably would use the sticker, like it or not ... Either that or I'll have it engraved to say "Safe, Semi & Binary" currently it just has the bullet images.

The LGS had the Franklin on special this weekend for 10% off which made it $359.99 ... I bought it Sunday and spent the day (Monday) shaking it out with different uppers; Top - Ares Defense 12.5 Beltfed and a generic 8" 300 BlackOut with hyper and subsonic ammo (which the subsonic I could only get to run as a single shot)
    Bottom - 11.5" Colt Commando & Colt 10.5" 9mm SMG uppers and the CMMG 22LR PDW

Unlike my M16 it doesn't run anything like the machine gun it simulates and there is definately a learning curve, but I got it running pretty well with my selection of springs & buffers ... I should have made notes and color coded my springs OR I should probably just dedicate it to the gun it runs best in. But most everything ran on a carbine length flat spring and standard buffer ... The CMMG PDW round best mini-mags, the beltfed likes a heavy buffer but I couldn't find anything that would run subsonic 300 Black Out ... and I did "out run" the trigger but it will run and in just about all cases the M16 isn't as picky.

The FosTech Echo II really has my attention now that it only requires a F/A bolt ... I've heard that you can't "out run" it's trigger ... Not sure if I regret it yet, but sometimes I need to take a breath and slow down before I run out and buy something I can't return!
    Last edited by kimberkid; 09-05-2018 at 03:56 AM.

I thought I'd seen that Franklin Armory also offered a Binary trigger for the MP5 and went to their website ... Besides the AR they have a Binary trigger for the;
    Bushmaster ACR ...
    And the B&T APC ...
    And the HK MP5 (and by changing the HK-9X rifles as well) ...
    AND the CZ Scorpion EVO https://www.franklinarmory.com/colle...y-bfsiii-cz-c1
    Last edited by kimberkid; 09-11-2018 at 03:00 AM.

Me with 11rds in my mag.
    I can’t seem to get a larger cap mag for my military conversion unit.
    I bought a Black Dog mag years ago that was supposed to be for my kit but it never worked.

https://youtu.be/2j2gfE4pj6E

BISHOP

Me with 11rds in my mag.
    I bought a Black Dog mag years ago that was supposed to be for my kit but it never worked.

BISHOP
    That's weird ... I've got a factory M16 and it runs the Black Dog mags perfectly ... I just wish the floor plate wasn't the bolt-stop. Can you take it apart to see if there is some sort of stop in them ... I seem to remember the military units being sold and only had 10 round mags with them however I've also got a grey mag that I thought was military and it holds 25 rounds. Does it fit and lock in?
    Last thought, is the Black Dog mag you have for Colt (not the Uxrmax(?SP) 22 copy) ... or maybe the S&W which is also different? I don't know if these will fit or not ... I'd call the good people a Black Dog ... when I was having trouble with my 50 round mag I called and they said the mag couldn't keep up with the M16 and likely would need to be wound again to keep the spring tension up ... its likely that drum-dumps would never be possible.

https://youtu.be/70PCPLmdeMk

My .22 conversion kit is the old USAF type with the 10rd mags that slip inside a regular mag.
    I bought the Black Dog following what they said would work with my kit, but all it does is strip off a rd. and jam it straight up to the top of the barrel. Not a single bullet would strip off and stay straight and level, just straight up!
    I tried filing down the mag to try and keep the bullet tip low but that never did a thing. Since I modified the mag I wasn't going to ask for a refund..

This whole thing isn't a real problem because in the next couple months I'm going to buy a CMMG kit and get 3 25rd mags.

BISHOP

The CMMG is top of the line I think ... And when I bought my PDW upper from them it was, or must have been still in development as they sent me different weights and trips to try and never asked for anything back ... And I went through a lot of ammo, right after Sandy Hook so it was at a time when 22 wasn't cheap or easy to come by ... Anyway, I don't think you'll be disappointed!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Me with 11rds in my mag.

BISHOP
    Long time ago Black Dog mags had plastic feed lips and a different angle to them. The newer ones are metal and have a different angle. Try a new one and see if that fixes your issues with them. I run them in my AR15 .22 lr upper I built back in 2008.

I was perusing Franklin Armory's Binary triggers ... the HK 9x/MP5 triggers to be precise. It's supposed to have a 4.5-5 pound trigger just like the AR triggers, plus it's drop-in. Of course the website only has retail prices so I started shopping and found it on GunBroker $100 cheaper and ordered it. It arrived yesterday, I installed it in my Omega MP5K this morning and (being my day off) went to the range this afternoon. Took some sub-sonic 147's as well as regular full power 115's and 124's just to run it through the paces ... It ate everything with zero issues ... I could make it go as fast as I wanted and no trigger issues, couldn't "out run" it as some people call ... No tuning issues like with the AR

I'm thinking there's another 2-3 of them in my future.
    Last edited by kimberkid; 09-27-2018 at 08:57 PM.