Thread: I swear I went to, at last... buy an AR-15.

I swear I went to, at last... buy an AR-15.

So, I have had a bit of a hard on for the Colt AR-15 A4. The old school 20" Gov Profile with the flat top. I thought it would be cool next to my SGL21. I was heading over to store B when I decided to take a detour over at store A... where (unbeknownst to me) they were having an anniversary sale. I figured... "what the hell, I will just stop in and say "hi".

Well.. "Hi" turned into a swing by the old Mil-Surp Section and...

I did this instead.

I have wanted a SAFN since I first hefted a Luxembourg Contract .30-06 about 6 years ago. I should have bought it then... but I did not have the means to purchase at the time (I think 1000.00 or so back then) and always regretted it.

Well this thing practically jumped into my hands and at $800.00 (After the anniversary discount) OOD... I could not say "no". So here it is. A century rebuild FN-49 in 8mm Mauser for the Egyptian Army.

Only issues were that it has a screwy after market break that was the wrong thread pitch (And tore up the threads on the muzzle) that I had to repair (Re threaded and replaced with a knurled thread protector) and it looks like someone filled some stock gaps with some stock bedding compound (Unless Century did this at the factory t get the stocks to fit?). Also someone put a rubber buttstock on it (Which feels pretty nice and may stay put).

I did order an -06 stock I intent on trying to finish to look like the original egyptian wood as a side project...

Anyway.... damn milsurps... lol
    Last edited by gpwasr10; 09-13-2018 at 07:06 PM.
    "Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."
    -Nietzsche

"Accept the challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory."
    -George S. Patton

How do you like POSTIMAGE photo hosting service?

Quote Originally Posted by tank_monkey View Post
    How do you like POSTIMAGE photo hosting service?
    It's ok I guess. Is there a better one that you know of?
    "Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."
    -Nietzsche

-George S. Patton

Also, I am in the market for the real thread protector.. they seem to be unobtainium. So if you have one, let me know.
    -Nietzsche

-George S. Patton

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Thumbs up

Congratulations on your new rifle. I too have passed on a few a these over the years, several in 8x57 and 1 in 7x57. Maybe I'll get lucky as well.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by gpwasr10 View Post
    It's ok I guess. Is there a better one that you know of?
    No, I was just wondering if it was a pain in the ass. Apparently not. I've been looking for a new photo hosting service ever since Photobucket became scumbags.

Thanks. I'll look into becoming a member and storing my pics for GUnsnet on postimage.

Quote Originally Posted by tank_monkey View Post
    No, I was just wondering if it was a pain in the ass. Apparently not. I've been looking for a new photo hosting service ever since Photobucket became scumbags.

Thanks. I'll look into becoming a member and storing my pics for GUnsnet on postimage.
    The reason I went there in the first place is because PB Has become dogshit. lol

It's cool because once you upload everything, you can just highlight, copy/paste them all and then post the images.
    -Nietzsche

-George S. Patton

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Congrats! I love the SAFN. But just a question... how are you going to defend your homestead against the zombie hordes without an AR-15? I mean... lol
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    Congrats! I love the SAFN. But just a question... how are you going to defend your homestead against the zombie hordes without an AR-15? I mean... lol
    Well... I am sure this would help... lol

Of course I also have an SGL21 for that type of stuff.
    -Nietzsche

-George S. Patton