Thread: Remington 1903 A3

Remington 1903 A3

Well... It has been ahile since I posted and almost for got that I had picked this up.

Got it for 750.00 OOD. It is in spectacular shape and it looks like it has an issued sling of the era. The BBL is mirror bright and it shoots amazingly. Figured I would share some pics while I had her out.
    "Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."
    -Nietzsche

"Accept the challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory."
    -George S. Patton

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Congratulations!
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Cool! Is it a low or high SN?
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    Cool! Is it a low or high SN?
    It's in the 4 million so... Pretty high I think? But low enough to have the straight stock.

12/1943
    "Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."
    -Nietzsche

-George S. Patton

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gpwasr10 View Post
    It's in the 4 million so... Pretty high I think? But low enough to have the straight stock.

12/1943
    You should be alright. Low number for Springfield rifles is < 800,000 and for Rock Island rifles is < about 275,000. It is dangerous to fire low number 1903s because of a flaw in the heat treatment of the receivers. For high number rifles this was corrected and you should be good.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    You should be alright. Low number for Springfield rifles is < 800,000 and for Rock Island rifles is < about 275,000. It is dangerous to fire low number 1903s because of a flaw in the heat treatment of the receivers. For high number rifles this was corrected and you should be good.
    His is a Remington made 1903A3 built starting only in WWII. The 1903A3 is a cost reduced rifle using components made from sheet metal stampings. The brittle receiver thing is not relevant to 19O3A3 Springfields. The 1903 Springfield rifle (WWI vintage) is an entirely different model of rifle. They are the ones that suffered from improper heat treating that could result in them blowing apart from being brittle.

Well... It has been ahile since I posted and almost for got that I had picked this up.

Got it for 750.00 OOD. It is in spectacular shape and it looks like it has an issued sling of the era. The BBL is mirror bright and it shoots amazingly. Figured I would share some pics while I had her out.
    Congrats. I assume it has a 2 groove, 2 land barrel which is typical of the Remington 1903A3 rifles. Can't read the barrel maker stamping on this small lap top.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Congrats. I assume it has a 2 groove, 2 land barrel which is typical of the Remington 1903A3 rifles. Can't read the barrel maker stamping on this small lap top.
    I don't think it is a 2-groove barrel, although the barrel looks pretty new. It's a RA Stamp on the end (Bad picture though).
    -Nietzsche

-George S. Patton

I don't think it is a 2-groove barrel, although the barrel looks pretty new. It's a RA Stamp on the end (Bad picture though).
    All RA Remington Arms barrels are 2 groove. 2 lands, 2 grooves, very simple made to speed up manufacturing process. They shoot just as well as other higher count grooved barrels. I owned a 1903A4 from a CMP drawing win. It had a 2 groove barrel on it. The A4 was the purpose built Sniper Rifle version of the A3.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

His is a Remington made 1903A3 built starting only in WWII. The 1903A3 is a cost reduced rifle using components made from sheet metal stampings. The brittle receiver thing is not relevant to 19O3A3 Springfields. The 1903 Springfield rifle (WWI vintage) is an entirely different model of rifle. They are the ones that suffered from improper heat treating that could result in them blowing apart from being brittle.
    Actually I believe/remember the improperly-heated receiver issue only involved some of the earliest 03s manufactured at the Rock Island Arsenal shortly after the US military adopted that rifle to replace the Krag. Production switched to Springfield Arsenal in MA around 1910 and there were no issues with the rifle after that. The whole blowing-up problem was overblown I gathered from reading pretty extensively...a very few soldiers were injured during range training with no reported deaths and one doughboy in particular losing an eye.
    Last edited by mrkalashnikov; 09-20-2018 at 07:07 AM.
    Nietzsche: From life's school of war: what does not kill me makes me stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by mrkalashnikov View Post
    Actually I believe/remember the improperly-heated receiver issue only involved some of the earliest 03s manufactured at the Rock Island Arsenal shortly after the US military adopted that rifle to replace the Krag. Production switched to Springfield Arsenal in MA around 1910 and there were no issues with the rifle after that. The whole blowing-up problem was overblown I gathered from reading pretty extensively...a very few soldiers were injured during range training with no reported deaths and one doughboy in particular losing an eye.
    Rock Islands and Springfield arsenal receivers of early numbers were both effected by the heat treat issue. They were eyeballing the color for heat treat. What Ltorlo64 posted
    you should be alright. Low number for Springfield rifles is < 800,000 and for Rock Island rifles is < about 275,000.
    is pretty spot on. Improved heat treat using actually gauges / therocouple read outs started after these serial number ranges.

The point I was making is that the 1903A3 is not a 1903, totally different beast made decades later than the 03's. There never were any brittle 03A3 receiver rifles.

All RA Remington Arms barrels are 2 groove. 2 lands, 2 grooves, very simple made to speed up manufacturing process. They shoot just as well as other higher count grooved barrels. I owned a 1903A4 from a CMP drawing win. It had a 2 groove barrel on it. The A4 was the purpose built Sniper Rifle version of the A3.
    Well I'l be...
    There is only 2 grooves. lol

It looks like it's tighter than my old 2 groove SMLE.
    -Nietzsche

-George S. Patton