Thread: Anyone else have and like the $89 Harbor Freight genny?

Anyone else have and like the $89 Harbor Freight genny?

I got one of these recently as a backup to my larger unit. It weighs about 38 pounds and makes 1kw. It works well and starts on the 3rd pull as a rule. I like it so far. It's handy at the hunt club for chores.

Any of you guys have one of these units, or similar?

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

No experience with it but I am interested in picking up a small Generator. What is the model number?

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    No experience with it but I am interested in picking up a small Generator. What is the model number?
    Tailgator 63024.

I saw those. Run away from a 2 stroke generator.
    In times when you need a generator, you don’t want to also have to start looking for 2 stroke oil too.

And when camping who wants to have to mix gas and oil.
    My .02

BISHOP

Quote Originally Posted by BISHOP View Post
    I saw those. Run away from a 2 stroke generator.
    In times when you need a generator, you don’t want to also have to start looking for 2 stroke oil too.

And when camping who wants to have to mix gas and oil.
    My .02

BISHOP
    When I'm at the hunt club, I often have my chainsaw too. It used 2 cycle gas 50:1. When home, I have my line trimmer and chainsaw which use 50:1 gas mix. If you already own 2 cycle equipment, it seems no undue burden to have mixed fuel for them on hand.

There are also interesting videos on youtube of people using 4 cycle oil in simple 2 cycle engines and they get it to work with no real problems.

One of the best things you can do for any engine is to run synthetic lubes. As suspect as the materials and workmanship of the chicom engines/gens are, replacing their oil is one way to enhance whatever reliability they have.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"